nm.

Re: Great Red Wine Find!......................

Where did you pick it up? Grocery store? What section did they catalog it under? Cab?

I just opened a new box of wine tonight. Delicato Shiraz. About $16 from Safeway (equiv to $4/bottle).

Good reviews. Award winner. But I didn't like it. That's the downside of buying by the box -- if it's not good, you've got a LOT of bad wine to toss.

No way! You just keep it as second glass wine! Or second bottle.

Step 1: Drink bottle of something that tastes good

Step 2: Drink box wine, tastes surprisingly good!

We used that method with the Charles Shaw (a.k.a. "Two Buck Chuck") from Trader Joe's. ;)

It's my first 9/80 three day weekend, so I'm fiddling in my yard and enjoying some Molsen beer, keeping it blue collar tonight...

I am by no means a red wine expert but I also found a red wine I like that has a screw top. :cool:

http://www.livingstoncellars.com/

As far as I know it may have a Boonesfarm reputation, but I don't care. I know I'm a redneck. :D

Cut-Throat said:
Minnesota does not have wine in Grocery Stores yet.

An interesting similarity between Minnesota and the deep South. Long goodbyes in the driveway is another........

I was gonna say something about any decent beer being better than most wine, but then you had to go and bring up Molson... ;)

(Or is there a different brewer with the same name in the States?)

No, it's the Canadian stuff I'm drinking. And it's better than budweiser!

Many vinyards are adopting Aluminum Screw Caps, the wine keeps as well and there is no possibility of cork contamination.

Australian Shiraz are as good as you can get, I collect them, but Chile is also turning out some fine blends and at an aggresssive pricing structure..

Yellow Tail is a pretty acceptable blend, sometimes priced very aggressivly.

Tetra Pak is the new environmenntally friendly way to package wine, Rabbit from France is an acceptable table wine.

Australian Wines that I bought 10 years ago , in some cases, have quadrupled in selling prices.

Finally, something I can talk about. As Max pointed out, there are more and more wineries turning to screw tops because of cork problems. Caymus Conundrum is an example of a fairly high end wine that has turned to screw caps. Loring Pinot Noirs have also gone that way. The Aussies are also agressively pursuing the technology. If you have ever opened a prize bottle that you have been saving only to smell that wet cardboard funk in a corked bottle of wine, you know why. My worst experience is with a 95 Yquem at about $95 a half bottle. One of the guys at the table with me said, "If I weren't a deeply religious person, this would make me believe there is no God." BTW, both Rosemount and Penfolds make far better Shiraz and Shiraz blends than Yellow Tail for only slightly more money. Cheers!

setab

This week I tried Yellowtail Cabernet sauvignon sold at $5.99 a bottle. I recommend it, and the yellowtail chardonnay if you like a white.

DOG51 said:
As far as I know it may have a Boonesfarm reputation, but I don't care. I know I'm a redneck. :D

I drank Boone's Farm "wine" once in high school in 1970. I didn't know any better but I thought it was awful and went back to Sangria. My wife and I just noticed Boone's farm on the shelves of our grocery store. Apparently now ol' Boone's has a blue colored wine! I guess it tastes like blue Italian water ice, right?

Mike D.

CT,

That's why they make so many different kinds!  Above all, drink what you like best.  I never had the wine you mentioned, so now I'll have to find one and taste ITNOS of course.  I have had the Yellow Tail.

setab

setab said:
I have had the Yellow Tail.

That seems kind of un-PC, but hey, do who what you enjoy...

HA! PAGE TWO... ;)

I apologize :'(

DOG51 said:
:

As  I know I'm a redneck.  :D

You spent lots of time stooped over in the broiling sun picking cotton for the carpet bagger who cheated you out of your land after the Civil War?

youbet said:
You spent lots of time stooped over in the broiling sun picking cotton for the carpet bagger who cheated you out of your land after the Civil War?

Maybe we should get compensation! :D :D :LOL:

I don't think I'll qualify though. I had a multi-great uncle that died in the Civil War fighting for the Union.

youbet said:

Yes.

Because CT is a man of taste and culture and a working wife so he can afford the best, I bought a bottle of the Pillar Box Red. In Texas I picked up a bottle for $8.43 (Spec's / cash discount). I'll report later on my cultivated "pallet's" opinion of the selection. It won't be tonight because of my prior commitment to review this week's MD2020 vintage.

Back
Top Bottom