Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Smoked Brisket will freeze for at least a year!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Smoked Brisket will freeze for at least a year!
After watching him plow through that sirloin deal I did in my "you-know-what" with just the dry rub, I doubt any would ever see the freezer.

The first price breaks are happening online...
I figure they will do their "too much inventory" panic sale right after 4th of July. Then I pounce!
<saying this to myself> Patience, woman.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Just received my copy of Time, June 22 issue. In it is an article touting a Viking stainless-steel BBQ weighting 375 lbs. See picture. It will set you back $3000. For that price, it does not come with a thermometer, and Viking recommends the use of a certain DigiQ II thermometer costing another $260. See linked article. Now, we understand why Wall St. workers lament of hardship when their pays get reduced by the economic downturn.

Viking Smoker: King of the Grill - TIME
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just received my copy of Time, June 22 issue. In it is an article touting a Viking stainless-steel BBQ weighting 375 lbs. See picture. It will set you back $3000. For that price, it does not come with a thermometer, and Viking recommends the use of a certain DigiQ II thermometer costing another $260. See linked article. Now, we understand why Wall St. workers lament of hardship when their pays get reduced by the economic downturn.
For that price you might as well have your bbq overnighted to you from Texas.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Here ya go: Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ - It's All About The Meat!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
See post #135.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then, how does our banker get his DIY satisfaction if he does not personally select the rib, prepare the dry rub, then pack it in his shiny Viking smoker with lots of TLC? What's a bored banker to do when he is tired of taking his yacht for a harbor cruise? How does he satisfy his culinary curiosity?

I am glad that the free market always thinks of something to help relieve the money-laden multimillionaires of their loads. How else can they spend it all?

PS. Just lost 8 Viking BBQ ranges in the market today, despite being only 61% in equities. How can they say the market is rational?

Just kidding. Hold, hold, hold...
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How can they say the market is rational?
What's the saying? The market is only rational as long as you are solvent?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, heh... Despite having supposedly high-beta stocks, my overall portfolio is not down that bad percentage wise compared to the S&P500. Me, worry?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... PS. Just lost 8 Viking BBQ ranges in the market today, despite being only 61% in equities. How can they say the market is rational?

Just kidding. Hold, hold, hold...
We just had a new FIRE currency coined today - a Viking BBQ Range used as a monetary denomination.

<solemnly> I dub thee VBBQR. <touches sword on shoulder>

My question is...how is the VBBQR holding up against the dollar and euro ?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We just had a new FIRE currency coined today - a Viking BBQ Range used as a monetary denomination.

My question is...how is the VBBQR holding up against the dollar and euro ?
Heh heh heh...

Someone from Viking reading this thread may be scheming up something as we speak. To hedge against inflation, perhaps there is a market for small symbolic BBQs made with an ounce or two of gold?

PS. To Ziggy29 post below, I forgot to mention that the quote as you wrote was supposedly from John Maynard Keynes himself.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #152

Quote:
What's the saying? The market is only rational as long as you are solvent?
Actually it's worse than that. I think the quote is: "The markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #153

I hear the New York Mint is interested in a limited production of Viking grills with the heads of US presidents stamped in the handle.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Heeheeeheeeee
Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Heeheeeheeeee

Should I be a sucker for a sale?
Problem is $21 for shipping. Argh!

Amazon.com: SMOKER SMOKE N GRILL: Electronics
Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

We visited a few great BBQ places in St. Louis and Kansas City, including the home of a BBQ enthusiast, recently. The meat was smoked for many hours.

But I had this revelation:
Any smoke flavors that were added through the elaborate smoking process were completely overwhelmed by the BBQ sauce.
IOW, the food tasted great, but it was mainly due to the taste of the sauce.

Since returning home, we've found a sauce that makes our oven-roasted chicken taste just as good as the chicken we had at Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's BBQ.

And that sauce is:

Bull's- Eye Brown Sugar and Hickory

Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

P.S. We have a Brinkman bullet smoker that started life as a charcoal unit, but was converted to electric when I realized how much charcoal was used each time.

Hanging out on the deck with beer, feeding in little chips of wood occasionally, monitoring the temperature, and watching the smoke is fun a few times, but it gets old.

The smoker sits in the shed all the time now, and I think I'll sell it on Craigslist or freecycle it.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

...Hanging out on the deck with beer, feeding in little chips of wood occasionally, monitoring the temperature, and watching the smoke is fun a few times, but it gets old.

The smoker sits in the shed all the time now, and I think I'll sell it on Craigslist or freecycle it.
Around my home, were there are 3 smokers for various purposes...that there comment is pert' near blashemous...but to each his own.

R
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Too bad you're not near by -- I'd take it off your hands. We've been contemplating getting a smoker for a while. Just hanging out and drinking beer doesn't get old.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Too bad you're not near by -- I'd take it off your hands. We've been contemplating getting a smoker for a while. Just hanging out and drinking beer doesn't get old.
I'm actually looking forward to the ritual.
dh2b stepped up to the plate and talked me out of the electric or propane style. He said he would love to be the chef-meister for the smoker if I bought and got the food together. Imagine that.
Mwah ha ha...

Still holding out for the sale price to be right...I'm also checking the Bass Pro site as well as Amazon.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Great deal for wannabe smokers

I scored a great deal today. I've been watching for a smoker on sale that included 2 critical accessories...a real temp gauge ($34 add-on) and a cover ($20 add-on).

Brinkmann Gourmet version with temperature gauge, vinyl cover included, free shipping, no tax, $112 total.

http://www.barbecue-grill-guide.com/p/brinkmann-green-gourmet-charcoal-smoker---grill-with-vinyl-cover

I still have all the links for seasonings and ideas you all gave me copied into a calendar reminder.
TY for all your help.

Look out, here I go into the backyard smoking universe.