Noo Yawker trying to BBQ

Long ago, and far away, I worked at a pizza place with anchovies and shrimp on the list of toppings. I can only say that the "aroma" that blasted you in the face when you opened the oven door was unmatched...

Was it like the smell of gym socks that you wore the whole semester without washing?

I usually make my own, using a variety of stuff and it is never the same twice, but includes ketchup/catsup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, dried garlic and onions, Worcestershire sauce, some Stubbs hickory smoke flavoring, sometimes a bit of cumin, and as much tabasco as I think DW can take (I like it spicier).

Usually when I do baby back ribs I boil them for about a half hour first, then let them sit in the boiling pot in the hot water for several hours. Cut to serving size, then grill both sides lightly without the sauce, then grill with the sauce over very very low heat turning and basting as long a the sauce lasts. Turn often enough that you don't burn the sauce.

When I have the time, I rub them down with a mixture of seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, fire up the smoker around 10am and at the same time soak some hickory chunks, throw the ribs in the smoker, toss on a few chunks of hickory, and slow the fire way down (keep it to about 225-250F). Then sit outside watching the day go by, out by the pool or on the patio. In the meantime, cook up a pot of beans and add some of that sauce, along with a few bell peppers and some pineapple, make a nice coleslaw, and then go have another cool one. Keep your fire going around 225F. Add a few pre-started pieces of charcoal a couple times thru the day. Check for tenderness around 3 or 4pm. If they are close, then baste with the sauce, both sides, and let'um cook low and slow for another hour, basting a few more times. Dinner can be served between 4pm and 5pm.

Key words: LOW and SLOW = very tender, fall off the bone meat. HOT and FAST = tougher harder to chew off the bone, or burnt meat.

With a brisket, I don't even use the sauce. Just a rub, never the same twice, but always has seasoned salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

Enjoy!

R

PS: don't oversmoke with hickory or you will end up with a bitter flavor.

Last edited:
Putting on my evil hat - even though I picked up 25lbs - since coming north - my all time favorite is still:

New Orleans style BBQ shrimp.

Which to those who know the recipe - usually sets meat BBQ types on the warpath screaming 'that's not BBQ'!

heh heh heh - I have one of those barrel type Cajun Cooker II grill/smokers and am still experimenting. I put apple juice in the water pan and spritz also. Apple, cherry, mesquite, hickory chips and which rub/sauce - still experimenting. :greetings10: My briskets are still tougher than I'd like. Turkey was okay. Ribs were fair.

At times to keep her happy - I have to use Dale's made in Birmingham, Alabama.

The secret to tenderizing brisket is chert rock. My BIL, when he lived in El Paso, claimed that he put his brisket (rubbed with olive oil) into an old front load clothes dryer with 8-10 large chert rocks and spun it for 10-15 minutes.

Swears by that method.

Step away from the chicken and add sundried tomatoes,pastrami or anchovies on your pizza .

I think I had moved to the West Coast before I even knew that somebody might eat pizza without anchovies.

Ha

Several years ago I worked a second job as waitress in a pizza restaurant.

Jalapeno and pineapple, ham and pineapple, extra anchovies...; I get paid the same whatever the combo.

....And I promise not to say BBQ and crockpot in the same sentence, ever again.
I must not say BBQ and crockpot in the same sentence.
Ok, folks. Hang onto yer hats....I'm ready to try a beef brisket. :eek:

I don't own a slow cooker except my tried and true cr**kpot.
There are numerous garage sales going on this weekend, so I will go hunting for a small size outdoor smoker.
Too cheap to buy a new one. :LOL:
I found this recipe online.
Slow-Cooked, Texas-Style Beef Brisket - All Recipes
I just slathered the beef with a little oil and a dry rub consisting of cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and a few other things gleaned from your collective advice. :D
The beef is boneless sirloin, about 3" thick and cut into a flat slab about 10" long by 6" wide. I can't get real brisket here. :(
Beef is frozen right now, but I have all day to cook it. It will be defrosted within an hour on the HI setting.
I do have an injector thingie, so I figured I would start that process up once it defrosts. My plan is to make up some of the sauce at the above link and inject it into the meat.
Any last minutes hints or tips? :D

I'd highly recommend you thaw and season it, wrap it in aluminum foil, and place it in your oven for 2.5 - 3 hours (fat side up if it was real brisket) at 300 degrees. Then remove the foil and place it in your smoker (low, low heat!) for another 1.5-2 hours, or until you think it's "right".

This keeps it moist and tender, and allows you to have a nice exterior texture and flavoring.

I'd highly recommend you thaw and season it, wrap it in aluminum foil, and place it in your oven for 2.5 - 3 hours (fat side up if it was real brisket) at 300 degrees. Then remove the foil and place it in your smoker (low, low heat!) for another 1.5-2 hours, or until you think it's "right".

This keeps it moist and tender, and allows you to have a nice exterior texture and flavoring.
It will be duly wrapped in foil as soon as it thaws. TY :flowers:
I can use my grill maybe (?) until I get a proper smoker on hand.

Yes, that should work fine - as long as you can grill it over low heat. Many grills have only "high" and "burn" settings. And you may not need to grill it for more than an hour or so.
Ah, I just had a Eureka.
I can build a nice wood fire in my outdoor fireplace to finish it up. Good wood coals in the metal grate right underneath it will add just the right flavor. I have a lot of seasoned maple on hand from the winter.
Oh this is gonna be good! :clap:

That might just do the trick - although the terms "seasoned maple" and "brisket" don't sound exactly right used in the same sentence. :cool:

That might just do the trick - although the terms "seasoned maple" and "brisket" don't sound exactly right used in the same sentence. :cool:
You're not seeing the "seasoned maple" BBQ joints 'round these parts? Maybe you could put the finished product on top of pancakes. :)

It's an improvement over cr*ckpot and BBQ, eh?

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Gotta go mow the lawn before it gets too hot (love saying that)...I'll check back later.

I second the REWahoo suggestion of inside foil for at least half the cooking otherwise a brisket to turn brickettes.

May be too late for this but my famous Pecos BIL puts onion salt, garlic powder, meat tenderizer, and liquid smoke on it the night before and then cooks it thusly.

Put in sealed tinfoil (fat side up) and bake in oven for 3 hours at about 325, slow and easy, covered to keep moist and juices in. Breaking down tissues here.

Now to suck up some flavors. Then xfer to low/med heated smoker ( or grill with pan of water and liquid smoke), puncture tinfoil all at the top of foil, cook 1 hour, take foil off cook for 2 more hours spritzing with mix of pear juice and BBQ sauce, should start looking really shiny brown.

Last 1/2 hour, put on any good (Ray's, Stubb's, KC, etc) BBQ sauce an let that slowly thicken onto the meat.

He won Biggest Liar in Texas BBQ Cookoff about 2 months ago with that recipe.

Update - the smell in my kitchen is just killing me. I wrapped the meat in foil, placed it back in the cr*ckpot (cringe!) on LOW, and it is doing nicely.
I grabbed my injector thingie (baster?) and slowly and carefully took the juices and injected them right into the meat. It sucked them all right up.
Rewrapped in foil, and still slow cooking.
You guys are really great to help me out. :flowers:
But the bottom line is - can a Northern gal be taught to make proper brisket? :LOL:
I think the answer is maybe, with expert advice :D and only if I get a proper smoker and do the marinating the night before.
My final weapon in my arsenal is my fireplace, but on second and third thought, I could undo all the careful moisture retention and end up with a hockey puck. Gas grill is still the best option, methinks.

You're not seeing the "seasoned maple" BBQ joints 'round these parts? Maybe you could put the finished product on top of pancakes. :)
Pfffffftttttt! :LOL:
Did you ever have chicken legs or lamb skewers cooked over a handpicked maple log fire ? My LFIL used to do that. He had some wild concoction of French and/or Thousand Island dressing, spices, lime juice, ketchup, Worcestershire, god knows what else was within reach. Oh man.
I have the recipe, at least what he told me was in it :whistle:, somewhere.
If I find it, I'll post it. :D

In my own defense, it's 88 F in the shade here today.
Down here we'd be wearing a light jacket.

I was going to say "it's never too hot to cook brisket", but that's apparently not true if you live in Noo Yawk. :D

Kidding aside (almost), hope your crocked sirloin turns out great. :)

I was going to say "it's never too hot to cook brisket", but that's apparently not true if you live in Noo Yawk. :D
Heck, in the summers here the outdoor temperature is almost as hot as a smoker doing it low and slow...

But yeah, all the better on a hot day and crack open a couple of cold ones.

We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave...:whistle:

You can bust 'em on me, you know I can take it. Just beware the return of the serve. Mwah ha haaaaaa :LOL:

Now I gotta figure out where I can get my hands on some real brisket and do this the right way.
Brisket, dry rub, marinate night before, foil, smoker, unplug cr*ckp*t.

Mr. Sirloin a la Faux Brisket is very tender and still absorbing the injected seasoned meat juices. I added just a tiny bit of water for more moisture.

The slow cooking continues...dum da dum duuuuuummmmmmmmm

Gonna log off now and play safety observer for my favorite mechanic. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom