Noo Yawker trying to BBQ

We just had a new FIRE currency coined today - a Viking BBQ Range used as a monetary denomination.

My question is...how is the VBBQR holding up against the dollar and euro ?

Heh heh heh...

Someone from Viking reading this thread may be scheming up something as we speak. To hedge against inflation, perhaps there is a market for small symbolic BBQs made with an ounce or two of gold? :D

PS. To Ziggy29 post below, I forgot to mention that the quote as you wrote was supposedly from John Maynard Keynes himself.

I hear the New York Mint is interested in a limited production of Viking grills with the heads of US presidents stamped in the handle.

We visited a few great BBQ places in St. Louis and Kansas City, including the home of a BBQ enthusiast, recently. The meat was smoked for many hours.

But I had this revelation:
Any smoke flavors that were added through the elaborate smoking process were completely overwhelmed by the BBQ sauce.
IOW, the food tasted great, but it was mainly due to the taste of the sauce.

Since returning home, we've found a sauce that makes our oven-roasted chicken taste just as good as the chicken we had at Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's BBQ.

And that sauce is:

Bull's- Eye Brown Sugar and Hickory
bulls_eye_hickory_sugar.jpg

P.S. We have a Brinkman bullet smoker that started life as a charcoal unit, but was converted to electric when I realized how much charcoal was used each time.

Hanging out on the deck with beer, feeding in little chips of wood occasionally, monitoring the temperature, and watching the smoke is fun a few times, but it gets old.

The smoker sits in the shed all the time now, and I think I'll sell it on Craigslist or freecycle it.

...Hanging out on the deck with beer, feeding in little chips of wood occasionally, monitoring the temperature, and watching the smoke is fun a few times, but it gets old.

The smoker sits in the shed all the time now, and I think I'll sell it on Craigslist or freecycle it.

Around my home, were there are 3 smokers for various purposes...that there comment is pert' near blashemous:cool:...but to each his own.

R

Too bad you're not near by -- I'd take it off your hands. We've been contemplating getting a smoker for a while. Just hanging out and drinking beer doesn't get old. :D

Too bad you're not near by -- I'd take it off your hands. We've been contemplating getting a smoker for a while. Just hanging out and drinking beer doesn't get old. :D
I'm actually looking forward to the ritual.
dh2b stepped up to the plate and talked me out of the electric or propane style. He said he would love to be the chef-meister for the smoker if I bought and got the food together. Imagine that. :whistle:
Mwah ha ha...;)

Still holding out for the sale price to be right...I'm also checking the Bass Pro site as well as Amazon.

Great deal for wannabe smokers

I scored a great deal today. I've been watching for a smoker on sale that included 2 critical accessories...a real temp gauge ($34 add-on) and a cover ($20 add-on).

Brinkmann Gourmet version with temperature gauge, vinyl cover included, free shipping, no tax, $112 total.

http://www.barbecue-grill-guide.com/p/brinkmann-green-gourmet-charcoal-smoker---grill-with-vinyl-cover

I still have all the links for seasonings and ideas you all gave me copied into a calendar reminder.
TY for all your help. :flowers:

Look out, here I go into the backyard smoking universe.

What time is dinner?
It's more like What's For Dinner ?
Smoked Cornish hens, fish, eggplant, peppers, apples, cheese...and of course Brisket!!!!! :LOL:
It will be 2 weeks before I see it. It's coming from Oregon of all places via FedEx. Free shipping, but that's already worked into the price, I'm sure. Their deal beat all others I've been watching steadily for 4 months.
In the meantime, I need to gather some wild apple branches and get them drying for chips. I'm going to make some homemade applewood smoked bacon. My butcher shops sells anything you want, on special order if need be.
Hmmm...will this affect pork belly futures? ;)

A woman after my own heart. :smitten:

I'll bring the wine. Checking Southwest flights now.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Now remember I'm a native Noo Yawker and I've never smoked anything...well...at least this method. :whistle:
I figure I'll practice with easy stuff (veggies and apples first) until I get the hang of it.
Count on pics! :D
T minus 2 weeks til my new toy arrives.

I still have all the links for seasonings and ideas you all gave me copied into a calendar reminder.
TY for all your help. :flowers:

Look out, here I go into the backyard smoking universe.

remember this if you don't remember anything else ... 250 degrees for a long time ... 6-18 hours depending on what you are cooking...^-^

The rest of the story...my new toy arrived at the tail end of last week.
I ended up getting the Brinkmann Gourmet model (green) with the separate base. The base is usable as a direct grill unit for searing.
I grabbed myself a fresh 2 lb whole chicken, made up some spicy Jamaican slathering sauce from the cookbook enclosed, and smoked that baby for 5 hours. I added a single layer of charcoal over the hot coals when I saw the IDEAL temp dropping just a smidge. I had to do that twice.
We were staining the deck right nearby. I kept an eagle eye on the temp gauge. The separate base was excellent for allowing some air in directly over the charcoals. Two thumbs up on that design!
Next up is probably some fish. dh2b dropped a huge hint about smoking some fresh salmon for him (small quantities of that for me).
I found some easy beef jerky recipes at the Kindle store and downloaded a free sample. Looks like a piece of cake to do jerky in the smoker. You use a metal skewer sent through one end of the marinated meat strips, skewer laid across the top grill so they are hanging vertically in the smoker.
My fresh applewood pieces are almost dried out. Hmmm...I am detecting a bacon and fresh beef jerky combo smoking session coming on. :)
A tip - we wanted to place a metal pan undeneath the smoker for safety and cleanliness. A trip to Lowes scored us an aluminum 26" diameter pan with a 3" lip, that is normally used under water heaters. dh2b gets the credit for that idea. :cool:

My BBQ....

Let the meat marinade in a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and purple grape juice over night (make sure you pierce the meat in plenty of spots so it soaks in well). In the morning bring the meat and marinade to about 180 for about 15-20 minutes. It'll be nice and tender then. Put a good rub on the meat and smoke it all day. Use the left over marinade to baste the meat every hour or so. Low and slow is the key. Too many people confuse BBQ with grilling... they are entirely different.

Last time I made my BBQ ribs this way we tossed all the bones into a huge pile and left them there for the dog. I've never seen a dog eat so many bones in all my life! She ended up with half a bone, laying on her side with her belly swollen while she moaned and licked the bone for another hour or so! Next several days she crapped almost white...

I found some easy beef jerky recipes at the Kindle store and downloaded a free sample. Looks like a piece of cake to do jerky in the smoker. You use a metal skewer sent through one end of the marinated meat strips, skewer laid across the top grill so they are hanging vertically in the smoker.
So what do you all think about how my beef jerky turned out ? Look veeeeeeerrrrrry closely at it. :cool:

Attachments

• charjerky.jpg
    charjerky.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 20
Doing CPR on this thread.....:LOL:

Please review the photos and provide a simple equation....please submit all answers by Wed weigh-ins day.

Attachments

• downsized_0718001228.jpg
    downsized_0718001228.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2
  • downsized_0718001229.jpg
    downsized_0718001229.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
  • downsized_0718001247.jpg
    downsized_0718001247.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3
Could not stand it anymore, fired up my old Char Broil water smoker on some chicken and ribs, fresh apple wood for smoke with a little oak thrown in.
Philly Burbs.
Old Mike

Back
Top Bottom