Not all Pizzas are created equal

Not impressed with any of the large chain pizza restaurants/take out in my town. The best contender is Costco and the price certainly is good for such a large pizza at $10. However, reheating it the next day doesn't bring it back to life. I don't find their take home that you bake yourself to be as good. The crust and the sauce are what I mainly look for to judge a good pizza.

The best pizza I ever ate was in State College, Pa but that was over 50 years ago so maybe the memory is a little fuzzy. Unfortunately they are too far from Fl. and I doubt they are still in business anyway.

I haven't tried Papa Murphy's but I think they opened a couple of place here about a year ago so I might bring one home. Other than that I have made pizza at home with some success. The dough is the part that I'm still working on to get just right.

Cheers!

Most of the small, indy chains in Chicagoland make a good pizza. I prefer thin crust, even though deep dish is the thing here.

When I was little we lived about a block from the original Father & Son pizzeria on Diversey Ave., so they were our go-to place. They've grown to several locations around the North Side -- I still love that thin crust.

A regional chain that has grown quickly is Rosati's. Started in the Chicago area and has now extended into several Southern and Western states. Gotta say, the pizza is pretty good.

Kansas City had the worst pizza of anywhere I've tried. Yuck!

I'm an old Mizzou grad, and was similarly cool to Shakespeare's in Columbia. Toppings were generous but the seasoning reminded me of Pizza Hut.

Not impressed with any of the large chain pizza restaurants/take out in my town. The best contender is Costco and the price certainly is good for such a large pizza at $10. However, reheating it the next day doesn't bring it back to life. I don't find their take home that you bake yourself to be as good. The crust and the sauce are what I mainly look for to judge a good pizza.

The best pizza I ever ate was in State College, Pa but that was over 50 years ago so maybe the memory is a little fuzzy. Unfortunately they are too far from Fl. and I doubt they are still in business anyway.

I haven't tried Papa Murphy's but I think they opened a couple of place here about a year ago so I might bring one home. Other than that I have made pizza at home with some success. The dough is the part that I'm still working on to get just right.

Cheers!

Try reheating in a frying pan - better for the crust. or cold...

When I was little we lived about a block from the original Father & Son pizzeria on Diversey Ave., so they were our go-to place. They've grown to several locations around the North Side -- I still love that thin crust.

A regional chain that has grown quickly is Rosati's. Started in the Chicago area and has now extended into several Southern and Western states. Gotta say, the pizza is pretty good.

I'm an old Mizzou grad, and was similarly cool to Shakespeare's in Columbia. Toppings were generous but the seasoning reminded me of Pizza Hut.

+1 on Father & Son

Any thing out of brick oven.

Last year we ate at Jasper Pizza; kids still remembered them. Locally, we have many favorite places.

I like the classic NYC pizza best. It has to be too hot to hold or eat when it gets put on the table. It has to be runny and gooey, and oily, and steaming. Yep, the bend in the middle is OK too. Pepperoni is the preferred topping, but ham topping is OK too. Crust should be thin and crispy and partly blackened. And it has to be from an independently owned pizzeria. Don't mean to be snobby, but the national brand pizzas are horrible, IMO. :hide:

+1 That makes me homesick for NYC. DW didn't understand this, but then went back with me and now she does. Some say no grease/oil. I say bring it on!

Kansas City had the worst pizza of anywhere I've tried. Yuck!

You're not the tourist that ordered a BBQ pizza are you? There still laughing at that place. That's just for visitors.

Not sure where you went in the city. If you want NY style go to City Market, most of the local delis made a good pie. For Chicago style try Johnson County. St. Louis style check around, not sure who does that anymore. There is great pizza here, but it's not on every block. I just had a great piece of NY style downtown today.

Best pizza I've ever had in my life was Ledo's Pizza (I believe it was in College Park MD).

It spawned a bunch of copy cats, but the original place was (of course my opinion only) the best pizza known to man.

I used to go 35 years ago, so no idea if they're even still there.
There seem to be as many people, including myself, who dislike Ledo's pizza, as like it. I think their crust is awful (soft, and tastes like it is made with shortening), and the tomato sauce is sweet.

You're not the tourist that ordered a BBQ pizza are you? There still laughing at that place. That's just for visitors.

Not sure where you went in the city. If you want NY style go to City Market, most of the local delis made a good pie. For Chicago style try Johnson County. St. Louis style check around, not sure who does that anymore. There is great pizza here, but it's not on every block. I just had a great piece of NY style downtown today.

We lived there for a few years and tried out all the different joints. When in KC stick to the BBQ!

DW and I going on vacation to NYC. This weekend- its my Christmas gift to her.
We are staying across the street from Rockefeller Center.
Any nearby pizza places recommended?

We will make a pilgrimage to Lombardis in little Italy.

There seem to be as many people, including myself, who dislike Ledo's pizza, as like it. I think their crust is awful (soft, and tastes like it is made with shortening), and the tomato sauce is sweet.

I'm late to this thread, but when we moved to Maryland over a decade ago we heard all about how great Ledo's was. So we went there. HORRIBLE. Tomato sauce needs a pinch of sugar to balance the acid, not a freakin cup of the stuff! And you are right, the crust was non-descript and flaccid.

I'm late to this thread, but when we moved to Maryland over a decade ago we heard all about how great Ledo's was. So we went there. HORRIBLE. Tomato sauce needs a pinch of sugar to balance the acid, not a freakin cup of the stuff! And you are right, the crust was non-descript and flaccid.

Ledo's has gone downhill in the last decade, since they've over (IMO) franchised. They used to be excellent, but the last few placed I've had it (Ocean City MD, Ashburn VA, Front Royal VA) it was pretty mediocre. But the last time I had it at the original (different location, but same owners) restaurant in College Park it was still really good.

OK, so DW and I are going to be in Chicago near Loyola the last couple of days of Dec. for my nephew's wedding. I need to find a good place for Chicago Pizza. I saw the Lou Malnati recommendation, but our hotel seems to be in a delivery desert, and we won't have a car. I could probably Uber, but I'm open to other suggestions too. I'm really a thin crust fan, but when in Chicago I'll try the thick stuff. And I also need to find a nearby place to have a good Chicago hot dog. I promise I won't ask for ketchup. And that beef sandwich with the hot giardia (or whatever it is) on it sounds interesting too.

Some things just don't work.

A Chicago pizza chain, Gino's East, opened a restaurant in our town about 6 months ago. This is the growing north Houston, Texas area and is full of ethnic and international restaurants that have been successful.

In 6 months, the Gino's East location is now closed. Don't know why, but we don't know anyone (personally) that tried the place.:(

Ledo's has gone downhill in the last decade, since they've over (IMO) franchised. They used to be excellent, but the last few placed I've had it (Ocean City MD, Ashburn VA, Front Royal VA) it was pretty mediocre. But the last time I had it at the original (different location, but same owners) restaurant in College Park it was still really good.

OK, so DW and I are going to be in Chicago near Loyola the last couple of days of Dec. for my nephew's wedding. I need to find a good place for Chicago Pizza. I saw the Lou Malnati recommendation, but our hotel seems to be in a delivery desert, and we won't have a car. I could probably Uber, but I'm open to other suggestions too. I'm really a thin crust fan, but when in Chicago I'll try the thick stuff. And I also need to find a nearby place to have a good Chicago hot dog. I promise I won't ask for ketchup. And that beef sandwich with the hot giardia (or whatever it is) on it sounds interesting too.

From Loyola, take the red line "L" train south to the Fullerton Station. Chicago's Dog House is at 816 W. Fullerton http://www.chicagosdog.com/zgrid/themes/10568/intro/index.jsp - a 4 minute walk east of the train station

There's some authentic Chicago dogs there.

There is also a Lou Malnatti's at 958 W Wrightwood which is an 8 minute walk north on Sheffield (or take a cab from the train station if its too cold) from the same Fullerton Station.

These 2 should satisfy your Chicago hot dog and pizza cravings.

Last edited:
DW and I going on vacation to NYC. This weekend- its my Christmas gift to her.
We are staying across the street from Rockefeller Center.
Any nearby pizza places recommended?

We will make a pilgrimage to Lombardis in little Italy.

Trattoria d'ell Arte has amazing pizza! It's at 57th & 7th, across from Carnegie Hall.

The story I heard on Ledo's was that they could not force the franchisees to maintain the original recipe. They sued and lost. The College Park location is the original. They have other issues too. I finally swore off Ledo's near my home (too greasy) but then discovered the location near my SIL is fantastic. When friends and family that have relocated visit, Ledo's is high on their list of places to go.

The best Pizza I've discovered is Wolfgang Pucks. I be only found locations at the airport (Indy and Dulles) behind security. I nearly missed a flight once trying to finish one.

We like Papa Murph's as well. However, after ordering, I stalk the counter staff like a pizza nazi. I only want light sauce and light cheese; whereas they otherwise pile it on. Once home, we top as we see fit and grill at 700 for a couple minutes.

Life long Chicagoan here. You may be aware of this but thin crust pizza is much more prevalent than thick pizza here in Chicago area. I prefer thin as well. While I love Lou Malnati's pizza, I would classify it as a tweener as far as thin/thick crust.

Here is a list of best thin pizza in Chicago along with a map. Hope it helps.

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-restaurants-tavern-style

Life long Chicagoan here. You may be aware of this but thin crust pizza is much more prevalent than thick pizza here in Chicago area. I prefer thin as well. While I love Lou Malnati's pizza, I would classify it as a tweener as far as thin/thick crust.

Here is a list of best thin pizza in Chicago along with a map. Hope it helps.

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-restaurants-tavern-style

That was interesting, and possibly helpful. Thanks. Sadly, that area by Loyola seems to be a pizza desert. The Jesuits must not like pizza. But I'll find something. The closest one from your list is the Candlelight, which it says has cracker thin crust. I might try that, sounds great. If I can't make it there, I'll just ask the people at the hotel for a recommendation.

A friend from NY tried Ledos once and said it's like Prego and cheese on a saltine cracker. I think that means he didn't like it.

That was interesting, and possibly helpful. Thanks. Sadly, that area by Loyola seems to be a pizza desert. The Jesuits must not like pizza. But I'll find something. The closest one from your list is the Candlelight, which it says has cracker thin crust. I might try that, sounds great. If I can't make it there, I'll just ask the people at the hotel for a recommendation.

The Rogers Park neighborhood is ethnically a South Asian enclave. You'll find some great Indian food there.

Never been to the candlelite. Gets alot of favorable reviews.

I should give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom