Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I like the classic NYC pizza best. It has to be too hot to hold or eat when it gets put on the table. It has to be runny and gooey, and oily, and steaming. Yep, the bend in the middle is OK too. Pepperoni is the preferred topping, but ham topping is OK too. Crust should be thin and crispy and partly blackened. And it has to be from an independently owned pizzeria. Don't mean to be snobby, but the national brand pizzas are horrible, IMO.
+1 That makes me homesick for NYC. DW didn't understand this, but then went back with me and now she does. Some say no grease/oil. I say bring it on!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post

Kansas City had the worst pizza of anywhere I've tried. Yuck!
You're not the tourist that ordered a BBQ pizza are you? There still laughing at that place. That's just for visitors.

Not sure where you went in the city. If you want NY style go to City Market, most of the local delis made a good pie. For Chicago style try Johnson County. St. Louis style check around, not sure who does that anymore. There is great pizza here, but it's not on every block. I just had a great piece of NY style downtown today.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
Best pizza I've ever had in my life was Ledo's Pizza (I believe it was in College Park MD).

It spawned a bunch of copy cats, but the original place was (of course my opinion only) the best pizza known to man.

I used to go 35 years ago, so no idea if they're even still there.
There seem to be as many people, including myself, who dislike Ledo's pizza, as like it. I think their crust is awful (soft, and tastes like it is made with shortening), and the tomato sauce is sweet.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

You're not the tourist that ordered a BBQ pizza are you? There still laughing at that place. That's just for visitors.

Not sure where you went in the city. If you want NY style go to City Market, most of the local delis made a good pie. For Chicago style try Johnson County. St. Louis style check around, not sure who does that anymore. There is great pizza here, but it's not on every block. I just had a great piece of NY style downtown today.
We lived there for a few years and tried out all the different joints. When in KC stick to the BBQ!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, Neopolitan pizza is very special:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1E110K

Quote:
The art of Neapolitan pizza making won world heritage status on Thursday, joining a horse-riding game from Iran and Dutch wind mills on UNESCO’s culture list.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I going on vacation to NYC. This weekend- its my Christmas gift to her.
We are staying across the street from Rockefeller Center.
Any nearby pizza places recommended?

We will make a pilgrimage to Lombardis in little Italy.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
There seem to be as many people, including myself, who dislike Ledo's pizza, as like it. I think their crust is awful (soft, and tastes like it is made with shortening), and the tomato sauce is sweet.
I'm late to this thread, but when we moved to Maryland over a decade ago we heard all about how great Ledo's was. So we went there. HORRIBLE. Tomato sauce needs a pinch of sugar to balance the acid, not a freakin cup of the stuff! And you are right, the crust was non-descript and flaccid.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I'm late to this thread, but when we moved to Maryland over a decade ago we heard all about how great Ledo's was. So we went there. HORRIBLE. Tomato sauce needs a pinch of sugar to balance the acid, not a freakin cup of the stuff! And you are right, the crust was non-descript and flaccid.
Ledo's has gone downhill in the last decade, since they've over (IMO) franchised. They used to be excellent, but the last few placed I've had it (Ocean City MD, Ashburn VA, Front Royal VA) it was pretty mediocre. But the last time I had it at the original (different location, but same owners) restaurant in College Park it was still really good.

OK, so DW and I are going to be in Chicago near Loyola the last couple of days of Dec. for my nephew's wedding. I need to find a good place for Chicago Pizza. I saw the Lou Malnati recommendation, but our hotel seems to be in a delivery desert, and we won't have a car. I could probably Uber, but I'm open to other suggestions too. I'm really a thin crust fan, but when in Chicago I'll try the thick stuff. And I also need to find a nearby place to have a good Chicago hot dog. I promise I won't ask for ketchup. And that beef sandwich with the hot giardia (or whatever it is) on it sounds interesting too.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Some things just don't work.

A Chicago pizza chain, Gino's East, opened a restaurant in our town about 6 months ago. This is the growing north Houston, Texas area and is full of ethnic and international restaurants that have been successful.

In 6 months, the Gino's East location is now closed. Don't know why, but we don't know anyone (personally) that tried the place.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Ledo's has gone downhill in the last decade, since they've over (IMO) franchised. They used to be excellent, but the last few placed I've had it (Ocean City MD, Ashburn VA, Front Royal VA) it was pretty mediocre. But the last time I had it at the original (different location, but same owners) restaurant in College Park it was still really good.

OK, so DW and I are going to be in Chicago near Loyola the last couple of days of Dec. for my nephew's wedding. I need to find a good place for Chicago Pizza. I saw the Lou Malnati recommendation, but our hotel seems to be in a delivery desert, and we won't have a car. I could probably Uber, but I'm open to other suggestions too. I'm really a thin crust fan, but when in Chicago I'll try the thick stuff. And I also need to find a nearby place to have a good Chicago hot dog. I promise I won't ask for ketchup. And that beef sandwich with the hot giardia (or whatever it is) on it sounds interesting too.
From Loyola, take the red line "L" train south to the Fullerton Station. Chicago's Dog House is at 816 W. Fullerton http://www.chicagosdog.com/zgrid/the...ntro/index.jsp - a 4 minute walk east of the train station

There's some authentic Chicago dogs there.

There is also a Lou Malnatti's at 958 W Wrightwood which is an 8 minute walk north on Sheffield (or take a cab from the train station if its too cold) from the same Fullerton Station.

These 2 should satisfy your Chicago hot dog and pizza cravings.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
DW and I going on vacation to NYC. This weekend- its my Christmas gift to her.
We are staying across the street from Rockefeller Center.
Any nearby pizza places recommended?

We will make a pilgrimage to Lombardis in little Italy.

Trattoria d'ell Arte has amazing pizza! It's at 57th & 7th, across from Carnegie Hall.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #92

Quote:

The story I heard on Ledo's was that they could not force the franchisees to maintain the original recipe. They sued and lost. The College Park location is the original. They have other issues too. I finally swore off Ledo's near my home (too greasy) but then discovered the location near my SIL is fantastic. When friends and family that have relocated visit, Ledo's is high on their list of places to go.

The best Pizza I've discovered is Wolfgang Pucks. I be only found locations at the airport (Indy and Dulles) behind security. I nearly missed a flight once trying to finish one.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Apparently, Neopolitan pizza is very special:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1E110K
One of the few really great business trips I had was to Napoli. Yes, the pizza there is indeed very special, if you get the “real” thing.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

We like Papa Murph's as well. However, after ordering, I stalk the counter staff like a pizza nazi. I only want light sauce and light cheese; whereas they otherwise pile it on. Once home, we top as we see fit and grill at 700 for a couple minutes.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #95

Quote:

Life long Chicagoan here. You may be aware of this but thin crust pizza is much more prevalent than thick pizza here in Chicago area. I prefer thin as well. While I love Lou Malnati's pizza, I would classify it as a tweener as far as thin/thick crust.

Here is a list of best thin pizza in Chicago along with a map. Hope it helps.

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-...s-tavern-style
Old 12-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Life long Chicagoan here. You may be aware of this but thin crust pizza is much more prevalent than thick pizza here in Chicago area. I prefer thin as well. While I love Lou Malnati's pizza, I would classify it as a tweener as far as thin/thick crust.

Here is a list of best thin pizza in Chicago along with a map. Hope it helps.

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-...s-tavern-style
That was interesting, and possibly helpful. Thanks. Sadly, that area by Loyola seems to be a pizza desert. The Jesuits must not like pizza. But I'll find something. The closest one from your list is the Candlelight, which it says has cracker thin crust. I might try that, sounds great. If I can't make it there, I'll just ask the people at the hotel for a recommendation.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #97

A friend from NY tried Ledos once and said it's like Prego and cheese on a saltine cracker. I think that means he didn't like it.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #98

Quote:
That was interesting, and possibly helpful. Thanks. Sadly, that area by Loyola seems to be a pizza desert. The Jesuits must not like pizza. But I'll find something. The closest one from your list is the Candlelight, which it says has cracker thin crust. I might try that, sounds great. If I can't make it there, I'll just ask the people at the hotel for a recommendation.
The Rogers Park neighborhood is ethnically a South Asian enclave. You'll find some great Indian food there.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
A friend from NY tried Ledos once and said it's like Prego and cheese on a saltine cracker. I think that means he didn't like it.
That's a great description of what I remember.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #100

Quote:
Never been to the candlelite. Gets alot of favorable reviews.

I should give it a try.