Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had no choice!

I've always liked dressing for comfort so jeans/shorts and t-shirt was the dress after retiring. When I lost weight it was summer and I wore my old 38" inch relaxed fit shorts till they were falling off. We both went to goodwill and picked up two intermediate sized pair of shorts and jeans. Then as we found our new size(32 regular for me ), we both purchased a couple of pair of jeans. All my work dress pants gone. I did find a suit, must have been what I interviewed in 1984, it fits! Only I don't have a dress shirt anymore, my last one was an 18" neck(and too tight), that doesn't fit anymore. I lost a full 3" from my neck, too weird. So I have 3 jeans 2 sweats and zero shorts. DW'S closet is about the same, empty. Come next month we'll pick up some shorts, bathing suits etc. We already had to deal with belts, found some very nice coats we both had but couldn't wear! The local church was thankful for all the donations.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think downgrading wardrobe is fine as long as it's clean (so we can distinguish ourselves from the homeless).

And don't forget (well, more men than women but YMMV) to keep trimming hair in the nose and ears...

I wear jeans and t-shirts mainly (plus sweater when it's cold, etc)- shorts and T's in the summer time with Teva kind of sandals. I don't wear shoes with high heels at all any more.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

And don't forget (well, more men than women but YMMV) to keep trimming hair in the nose and ears...
And don't forget to put on your glasses so you can see in the mirror what others might not want to see.

I bought us one of those magnifying mirrors so don't need the glasses:

Old 12-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #24

Just yesterday around noon the doorbell rang, so I got up from the computer and realized I couldn't answer the door in underwear

Had to put on a golf shirt and pants, so I could open the door.... too relaxed
Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #25

I was fortunate to have a job with a very relaxed dress code - so I was wearing crops, t-shirt or blouse, and flip flops prior to retirement.

Still wear the same except I wear jeans in the winter. (My development lab had crappy balance in the HVAC - and my bench was warm, but the bench 2 rows down was 62F.)

I dress clean and tidy - but casual. Although in the winter - I've been known to accidentally go out with slippers instead of flip-flops.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #26

I used to have to wear a suit and tie to work but since then I've only worn them to weddings a funerals. DW has higher standards than me and insisted on replacing some old jeans with new ones a couple of months ago.

Summer: Jeans, sneakers, t-shirt inside and golf shirt outside.
Winter: Same, but flannel shirt over the t-shirt.
Very cold: Substitute insulated boots for sneakers.

And what is this "iron" thing mentioned?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

So far I've only worn pants twice this year (since February of 2015 when it was really cold). Both times to volunteer gigs as a member of the board. Otherwise, shorts every day. It almost got cold enough to put on pants (ie below freezing) but then it warmed back up.

DW is semi-retired and working from home part time, so her work clothes are t-shirt and shorts or jeans.

Definitely cuts down on laundry. But ironing? You can't cut anything when you're starting at zero.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

DW retired about 5 years ago from a District Manager job at a large RE company. She wore dress suits every day. Well, now it's pretty casual, although when we go out to visit friends or to a restraunt, she dresses up a bit (not ex-work clothes) and makes me go up a notch above my "Walmart people" attire.

But, and a big but,..........our very large master bedroom closet still has every stitch of clothing she has owned in the last 40 (?) years hanging in it. I have a space about 18" wide for all my clothes, and that includes two suits that don't fit anymore. She flat refuses to part with it. I'm not going to mention what's in the other closets and how many pairs of shoes go along with all of her stuff.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #29

My dress du jour is usually T shirt, shorts, footies, flip-flops and or sneakers. I'm not too choosey if things have a few small holes, etc. I'll still wear them and convince DW not to throw them out. We have a younger couple and the wife is always on me about my grandpa look. When she chided me about my worn tennis shoes I put duct tape on them just to get her reaction.

When I'm on the links, I'm one sharp dressed man though.

Back in the work days it was business casual and I still have a closet full of 30+ dress shirts and pants, plus a half dozen of so suits and sports coats that I really need to cull through.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I think downgrading wardrobe is fine as long as it's clean...

If it stays in the hamper long enough, it's clean again...

If it needs ironing, it's going to Goodwill...

Summer: for public exposure, cargo shorts, tees, flip-flops. Maybe really dress it up with a polo shirt and running shoes. Gym trunks, no shirt at home.

Winter: Jeans, tees, sweatshirt or fleece pullover, maybe a flannel shirt. Sweatsuit and socks at home.

Dress Casual: Jeans, or khakis, polo, button-up shirt, maybe a sweater, loafers, or the occasional python boot...

Miscellaneous gym trunks, bike shorts, sport tees, thermals, jogging tights, swimming trunks. Several jackets/coats, a raincoat, and a down jacket. Have two suits, neither of which I could get into...

And one tie-dyed...
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1451342353.905315.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #31

I just finished a 10 day span where I only wore pajamas. When I went out, I wore carhartt coveralls over the pajamas. But normally I'm in jeans or shorts, t shirt or sweatshirt. Hiking boots or running shoes. I'm using my former work shirts for rags.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Not caring about what I wear...

I dressed up for w@@k so I had high end suits, shoes and bags that I listed and sold on eBay. I kept one or maybe two pair of my favorite shoes (Christian Louboutin), four bags and zero of the suits.
I made a very nice pile of money.

With some of that, I bought casual stuff, jeans and such along with some semi dressy outfits for going out.

I do get dressed daily, hair done etc otherwise I feel sloppy. This might change....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

If you are tempted to spend your days in yoga pants and tops you need to watch this video .
Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you are tempted to spend your days in yoga pants and tops you need to watch this video .

I've seen that before and it's hysterical. I get someone dropping by the grocery on the way home from the gym but to wear workout gear all the time?
I was out to dinner with friends a few Saturdays ago at a fairly nice place, in walked a guy in a sport coat, slacks and the woman with him was in Luluemon yoga pants and a tank top. On Saturday night. For dinner. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My new retiree uniform is a t-shirt, jean shorts and sandals during the summer and jeans and sneakers in the winter. Golf shirt and khaki shorts on golf days.

I do keep two business casual uniforms from w*rk days for weddings and funerals.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Just yesterday around noon the doorbell rang, so I got up from the computer and realized I couldn't answer the door in underwear

Had to put on a golf shirt and pants, so I could open the door.... too relaxed

You might have the Championship Belt of this thread...
someone else has to take the belt from this post! #challenge
Old 12-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Why can't one answer the door in underwear?
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants..."
So what are you suggesting, skirts with no undies?

As for me, I like sweat pants this time of year.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #39

About 5 years out of college, I wore mostly jeans and a tee shirt to work. Rare occasions like having a deposition would get me into a suit.
Shorts vs. full length jeans is more dependent on temperature.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I find that dressing nicely when I am out of the house pays benefits in how I am treated in both business and personal contacts. Something just a bit 'eccentric' usually helps. But, just a very small bit.