Hi, I am..... FIRED!

FLSUnFIRE

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I did it. FIREd as of 7/16/21 at age 47.

Quick “FIRE Bio:”

Discovered I could make money not working from interest sometime in junior high school; I think from reading about CDs in Zillions or Penny Power Magazine (Consumer Report’s kids magazine back in the 80’s). After mediocre high school performance I went to college because it was expected (and I didn’t know what else to do) and graduated with honors with double majors in Marketing (started as marketing) and Finance (really liked finance). Thought I wanted to be an investment advisor until I interned one summer with a major brokerage house and realized they were all evil (late 90s). After graduation, I was not real confident (in hindsight, I was very competent but had no experience/validation, or mentors) and took the first/only job offer I got out of college and began working for the government as a budget analyst. Started with no debt, a couple thousand dollars and a used kind of crappy car.

In college, I had a goal of saving $1,000,000. What I really wanted was to be financially independent and quickly reframed the goal. I quickly discovered John Greaney’s community on The Motley Fool (before TMF became “wise” and before the forums turned into a politicized cesspool), the Terhorsts, “The Joy of Not Working,” etc. (I laugh now when I hear of MMM, and others being founders of the FIRE movement!) and started eyeing 40 as a goal to be FI. I probably could have done it but got married/divorced and had some lifestyle creep during marriage that I’ve unwound since my divorce several years ago.

My career was never fulfilling, I did fairly well and was well regarded but plateaued fairly quickly as I’m not political, hate BS and bureaucracy, inefficiency, and incompetence. It was a job, only had a couple “work friends” over the course of my career but only work in common and didn’t socialize outside the office at all. The first half of my career was mostly with a very toxic boss and the last half was mostly absentee leadership (https://hbr.org/2018/03/the-most-common-type-of-incompetent-leader). The last few years felt like high school again, something I had to do but didn’t like and found to be soul sucking and I found myself mostly “coping” at work every day. I didn’t “hate it” but hated wasting my life there and left feeling drained most days. It did give me a very secure financial footing with nice golden handcuffs if I had stayed (I very roughly calculate that not waiting to MRA of 57 cost me at a minimum $2.5M in benefits and value of continued compounding and additional savings). What’s 10 years of my life worth…. More than $2.5M apparently since I just quit!

Fire Journey:

Contributed heavily to the TSP (always to match and ramped up to max as soon as my income/expenses allowed). Opened a Roth IRA as soon as I could afford to and maxed it out as well. In addition, saved a decent chunk AT as well. Avoided debt other than mortgages (and paid them down fairly aggressively) and one auto loan (put 50% down and paid off the 3-year note in 1 year because I hate paying interest). My investments have all been equity, mostly index but I did start buying individual stocks (DRIPS!) in college and played around with a handful over the years. I enjoy evaluating the companies but found I was better at finding buys than selling in a disciplined manner. I did beat the market slightly but not worth the risk/work to even consider with more than a tiny fraction of my portfolio.

At least one person has asked so here are some of the numbers year to year. It is interesting for me to look back and I can identify every market and life event that impacted my journey. The take away lesson is that I always had good habits and good habits will more than make up for some really expensive/bad mistakes over time.

~2% of NW is Cash
~2% of NW is i-Bonds from late 90s/early 2000s (Diamond Hands till maturity!)
~16% of NW is AT Investments
~18% of NW is ROTH IRA
~61% of NW is TSP

For projecting cash flow, I am planning on expenses of $44K, even though my actual these last few years has been significantly lower. It may be high but inflation is creeping up, spending may have been influenced by COVID restrictions, and my spending could increase in FIRE although I think I’ll be pretty stingy my first year or two as I adjust to the shift from the accumulation phase. If I stay this lean, my portfolio should continue to grow but I do see my expenses rising faster than inflation for a few years as I age (healthcare, conveniences I wouldn’t consider now, etc).

My withdraw strategy will flex depending on conditions each year. For now, I have enough cash to cover me through 2022. I will sell in my taxable account up to ACA/CG thresholds to replenish cash/harvest CG and do that until my taxable account gets to some as yet undefined level. I will then start a SEPP from TSP (and it may cover all my expenses so I can let the taxable ride or blow it!). Even if I don’t need the money, I will likely start the SEPP in several years to mitigate RMD impacts in future years. The Roth is sort of an insurance policy that I don’t expect to tap right away. I will also get a small deferred annuity starting when I am 60. I also have a HELOC I can tap to dampen shocks and cash flow expenses to defer income realization into the future tax years if necessary.

Reflections

I wish I invested more time and energy to get promoted to the next tier so that when my income plateaued I was at a higher rate of pay for the same amount of BS.

Would have got a pre-nuptial agreement when I got married (I had assets, she had negative NW). Fortunately, we were amicable and did what I would have asked for in an agreement but I got lucky. I also would have tried a little harder to repair the marriage… comes with hindsight and we were both just full of contempt for each other and it takes two to work things out and she had given up more than me. We were both glad to just walk away.

I was generally hands off on my investments but occasionally pulled some cash back when I thought the market was frothy… not a huge amount and less driven by fear than greed as I wanted dry powder for when the correction came. Never once did I call the top even close.

I’d have invested in real estate earlier. At 47 I don’t have the time/energy/motivation to buy an income property but wish I did when I was younger. The limiting factors then was liquidity (but I could have overcome that pretty easily) and possibly fear as it would have been a substantial portion of my NW at the start. A bit of diversification and free cash flow from a property I have owned for years would be real nice to have now.

If I say it out loud, $2M sounds like a huge amount of assets but I feel “poor” right now and expect I’ll be pretty frugal (extremely?) for some period of time as I adjust to the post-accumulation phase. If the market continues to treat me well, as it has, I look forward to eventually Blowing That Dough! It is impressive that my liquid net worth is higher than my estimated lifetime earnings; I don’t find it surprising as I know how the math works but still mind blowing and outside of our small community, very few would be able to fathom/believe it to be possible.

I guess that’s it. I did well but never made huge money and was disciplined and ruthless in my saving. I never felt deprived and for the most part bought whatever I wanted. I don’t know how I feel at this point; I guess mild happiness. The actual last day was sort of anticlimactic due to a pretty empty office. I think it will be a few days weeks before it sinks in. I’ll try posting updates occasionally on this thread as my journey unfolds.

The numbers:

Expenses were adjusted for the married years to reflect my expenses only and not her spending.
Net Worth is liquid assets only excluding HSA Balance (For now it’s bonus/insurance)

Attachments

• FIRESNIP.JPG
    FIRESNIP.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
You have done well! Your career experience was almost identical to mine. Very early on I knew I wanted to get out of a corporate environment because I am not political and certainly didn’t see the need to socialize with people on a superficial level for the sake of career advancement. I met my goal and was able to stop the corporate grind at 50 and leave all the bs behind. With such a low budget you have enough money to have an amazing retirement. You sound like a thoughtful and grounded individual who can live a great life without too much extravagance. $2MM is definitely more than enough on your budget. You should be able to spend up to $80K if you don’t adjust for inflation and should have plenty left. Just make sure you account for everything in your budget - unexpected repairs, cars, health care, travel, hobbies, etc. I can tell you from my experience you can have an amazing retirement with hobbies that don’t require a lot of money (dancing, hiking, swimming, golfing, Pickleball, travel hacking comes to mind).

Good to see you finally did it.
The divorce didn't appear to hurt you financially and your expenses have decreased. Good stuff.
We can hopefully celebrate next year at the SWFL get together.

Good to see you finally did it.
The divorce didn't appear to hurt you financially and your expenses have decreased. Good stuff.
We can hopefully celebrate next year at the SWFL get together.

Expenses did jump quite a bit with the marriage/house (those are adjusted for my share so household spending really spiked for a few years). I find it interesting that my expenses, now that I'm single, are right about where they were. Granted that now I have a paid-off home so adding in imputed rent/mortgage costs put my "cost to live" closer to $50-60K.

Definitely look forward to the next SWFL meet up and if you every venture across the Bay to St Pete, shoot me an IM. It would be great to meet for a coffee or beer.

FLSunFIREd!

Welcome to the forums and congratulations. What are you planning to do in retirement?

Congratulations! Have a wonderful weekend and REALLY enjoy that Monday morning coffee, relaxing!

Expenses did jump quite a bit with the marriage/house (those are adjusted for my share so household spending really spiked for a few years). I find it interesting that my expenses, now that I'm single, are right about where they were. Granted that now I have a paid-off home so adding in imputed rent/mortgage costs put my "cost to live" closer to $50-60K.

Definitely look forward to the next SWFL meet up and if you every venture across the Bay to St Pete, shoot me an IM. It would be great to meet for a coffee or beer.

FLSunFIREd!

Absolutely. I go to St. Pete from time to time.
Thank you.

CONGRATULATIONS, FLSUnFIRE! :dance:

Glad to hear you are so over that OMY thing. :LOL:

Looking forward to having you attend our next E-R.org SWFL get-together (details TBD, likely Feb 2022) as a full-fledged early retiree.

omni

Welcome to the forums and congratulations. What are you planning to do in retirement?

"Whatever I want" seems flippant but it's pretty accurate and I'm not making "plans" right now. After decompressing, I will ensure I establish good habits around mental, physical, and social health. There is a good chance I'll do fun some fun jobs and earn a little money as secondary effect. I enjoyed beertending so if I can find another place that would be as fun, I would do that.

Tomorrow, I think being FIREd will hit me more, right now it's just a busy weekend (except I won't be packing lunches this afternoon!!!). Tomorrow, I'll wake when I wake (likely way too early) and go for a short run and probably hit a coffee shop and sit outside, sip my coffee, and watch the city wake up and start its workday without me. Sometime during the week, I will write a few letters/emails to a few people to let them know that "I finally did it."

Even before my last day, I booked a flight to visit family on a whim as it was dirt cheap airfare and it was so liberating to not consider w*rk load/approval of time off.

Congratulations on have the willpower to execute a plan.

Many of us chose to control living expenses by living in ultra low COL places which allowed us to live higher quality of life than our incomes would indicate. Chasing the corporate ladder for me would have meant living in PA, MI or WI--all of which meant much smaller homes, high taxation and incredibly bad winter weather. I chose Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta instead.

Your portfolio is $2M and your expenses are $44K. You said you feel "poor".

Did you intentionally keep your expenses low in order to FIRE or you are happy with the $44K spending? You do have room to spend more, right?

Your portfolio is $2M and your expenses are $44K. You said you feel "poor".

Did you intentionally keep your expenses low in order to FIRE or you are happy with the $44K spending? You do have room to spend more, right?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Will take a while to adapt and feel completely comfortable spending after saving my entire life and also being in an insanely long bull market causes me to discount the $2M a bit in my mind -especially with a 50ish year horizon! Based off of historical data, I am more likely to have more money than I know what to do with than not but the odds of not are not zero. $44K is actually an increase over my last few years actual expenses as well.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Will take a while to adapt and feel completely comfortable spending after saving my entire life and also being in an insanely long bull market causes me to discount the $2M a bit in my mind -especially with a 50ish year horizon! Based off of historical data, I am more likely to have more money than I know what to do with than not but the odds of not are not zero. $44K is actually an increase over my last few years actual expenses as well.

Thank you. I plan to retire next year and have the same feeling of not wanting to spend up to the 4%, at least initially. In my case, I have an unemployed child who does not seem to want to get back to work any time soon. Although it is not my responsibility, I want to take care of him no matter what.

Congratulations on have the willpower to execute a plan.

Many of us chose to control living expenses by living in ultra low COL places which allowed us to live higher quality of life than our incomes would indicate. Chasing the corporate ladder for me would have meant living in PA, MI or WI--all of which meant much smaller homes, high taxation and incredibly bad winter weather. I chose Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta instead.

What are you smoking? PA is not HCOL, nor do we have small houses. I moved from Silicon Valley 22 years ago. That is HCOL! Winter is pretty short here, with small pretty snowfalls now and then, well handled by the town and state. Property tax rate has not gone up at all in 20+ years, and state flat income tax rate dropped over 15 years ago. Our home is 2700 SF not counting the home theater and music studio in the basement. I grew up in a 1300 SF home in the SF Bay area LOL. HCOL is best defined by NY, DC, coastal CA and WA. Not MI, PA, and WI,

Congrats on pulling the plug! Early retirement is far better than I imagined when I left the work world at 47. See you at the SW FL meetup!

Strong work. Way to stick to the path and achieve your goals. I'm right behind you. Leaving the G behind in 9 months thanks to a hard working TSP.

Congrats! How much is healthcare going to run you? Is that included in your $44k budget?

I don't budget in the sense of earmarking funds and sticking to it but do track my expenses obsessively. For the last two years I projected expected spending by adjusting the prior year based off my expectations/known changes in predictable spending.

In 2020, I spent approximately the following:
Auto: $4.6K (includes sinking fund/depreciation)
Entertainment: $6K (toys, vacations, social dining out, alcohol)
Food: $2.6K (includes cleaning/hygene stuff, and dining out alone)
Health:$8.4K (includes full cost of insurance, OOP, and Fitness)
Household: $9.4K (includes property taxes and insurance)
Utilities: $3.1K
Misc: $0.4K
Total: $35.6K

Buying though the marketplace will cost me $540/mo this year with no subsidy Sept-Dec, next year it should cost me under $100/mo with subsidy but I plan on the full cost which is included in the $44K estimate. I'm tracking to spend about $44K this year due to a combination of inflation and a few lumpy expenses hitting me.

Income taxes are separate and should be pretty minimal as I'll harvest capital gains up to MAGI and have minimal distributions otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm in my 6th week and doing well. I slept a lot the first few weeks but recently not quite as good. I've gone through a few moments of uncertainty; especially since I had the moonlighting fun job that crashed right as I put in my notice (I do miss it as it was fun and I miss hanging out with the regulars). The income from that fun job was a crutch in a way to help pull the trigger. I've tried to make myself go get another one but my motive to w*rk is low and my standards are high (must be fun and walking distance). I'm putting off looking for now until I am more motivated.

My dad asks me about my employment about once a week but think he's figuring out that I'm in little rush if any. I think he things I'm crazy but also is probably a little proud.

The worst part about my experience so far is that my knee has been giving me issues and as a runner and generally very active person, it has been hard and made me feel a bit shut down as I force myself to rest. I do have lots of time for PT exercises though! I ran 2 miles yesterday as a test. It's a little inflamed but better so I'll wait before jumping into any real training. I had hoped to use the first month to really focus on my diet and exercise and jump start getting to a fitness level I desire so it is pretty frustrating.

My typical day is waking between 6 and 7, enjoying tea or coffee, doing PT and light exercises, puttering and doing some projects around the house, going for a walk, making lunch and enjoying it, reading a bit (1.2 mile walk to the library!), making and enjoying dinner, and depending on the day doing something social (Bowling, meeting with friends, etc). I get all my shopping (minimal) during the weekday and it's enjoyable... I really smile when I'm out and about while others are working. Weekends are mostly social with friends and my girlfriend. I look forward to the weather changing in a couple months and I'll venture out more but as it's the dog days of summer in FL, once I shower, I stay in for the day as much as I can.

I really enjoy looking out my window (2nd floor overlooking an arterial road into downtown) and seeing the traffic while I am leisurely enjoying my caffeinated beverage in the morning! I don't take pleasure in their drudgery but sure am thankful that I'm not one of them anymore!

The days seem to fly by even though I don't really do anything! I haven't got bored yet (I kind of want to so I get motivated to do some hobby stuff). I pulled out some old paint I puttered around with years ago and threw out the bad and bought some cheap boards at Dollar Tree today to start trying to get the cobwebs out of my right brain. Once I find a suitable work surface and slightly cooler weather, I will pull out all the stained glass materials and see what I can do with it too. I do look forward to getting excited about a project and getting in "flow" again.

Signing up on the marketplace was easy. My policy went into effect today. $540/mo through the end of the year and hopefully there will be no major changes and I should be paying less than $80/mo depending how I manage my realized income.

My net worth is up by more than my annual spending rate since I quit so I can't even say I miss the pay! I still think the market is frothy but am still close to 100% equities other than the cash to fund myself through 2022. At a ~2% starting WDR, even if the market drops 50% I'll be at the magic 4%.

So far, this is GREAT!!!

FLSunFIRE

Back
Top Bottom