Now it is the John Deere

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday was a busy day I rushed to blow and rake the leaves pre mow and pre 1:00PM Penn State game. A soon as my visiting SIL left the Mrs lent a hand and raked up the substantial piles while the daughter continued ‘blowing’ the back and side of the house.

I walked out and opened the shed and jumped on my beloved John Deere drove around front. I lifted the lever that engages the blade and Bam no joy! A little sleuthing and I see that the god awful serpentine belt has jumped off the many pulleys. I put her away and proceeded to cut the front with the hand mower. 30 minutes later the Mrs took over as it was 1:00 Kick off time.

We installed that belt some months ago I believe pre 2nd knee surgery. I can’t talk about other people but I can do pretty much do everything with these new knees. Compared to the gimpy guy of a few years ago well its just great so far. What is however very uncomfortable is getting down on my knees. Just getting down on the ground to diagnose the problem was a chore. Trust me when I say it wasn’t pretty.

I think I paid $1,200 or so for Mr. John Deere 3 seasons ago. I’m told my lawn would cost $60 to mow. 20 mows a season and Bam Mr John owes this old man nothing. (60 mows at $60 = $3,600)

Ok now that I’ve properly rationalized it (I have haven’t I?). I’ve decided Im going to have the machine serviced. Plus I like putting money into the local economy... Dam I am a philanthropist too..

It has nothing to do with that cold garage floor and all that bending...right?

Johnny will thank you for getting the service completed. Mine thanks me with years of service. I actually replaced my belt before it broke after about 10 years of mowing. A 2004 model I actually obtained by selling my bass boat, it has been by far my best purchase.

I am glad to hear your new knees have relieved your daily routine of pain, and can imagine that getting down on the knees is not easy task.

Best to you,

VW

I recently helped a buddy replace a serpentine belt. Since you have done it before, you know the issues. Replacing the belt is a piece of cake. Dropping the mower deck and getting it back in place is the real chore. Of course this depends on the machine.

As I recall, the dang belts cost $120 (we replaced the drive belt as well, while it was apart)

Good luck.

For the record, JD and a bunch of other lesser-known brands are all made by the same manufacturer. My 20+ year-old riding mower was built like a tank. I've replaced the engine (my fault) and had some spots on the mower deck welded. (Again, my fault. I sort of abuse this poor machine.)

The moral of the story is, the units I see for sale today just aren't built the way they used to be. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point, just haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy. I even looked at Huskvarna, and was surprised how poor the quality was compared to the old Husky dirt bikes and chainsaws I've used.

For the record, JD and a bunch of other lesser-known brands are all made by the same manufacturer. My 20+ year-old riding mower was built like a tank. I've replaced the engine (my fault) and had some spots on the mower deck welded. (Again, my fault. I sort of abuse this poor machine.)

The moral of the story is, the units I see for sale today just aren't built the way they used to be. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point, just haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy. I even looked at Huskvarna, and was surprised how poor the quality was compared to the old Husky dirt bikes and chainsaws I've used.
+1
Different doors same factory.

I bought a Scag in '06, mowed three acres of rough ground for 10 years. Cost me a set of blades(my fault), and a fuel petcock.

Last edited:
I bought a rather pricey JD in 2004 and the serpentine belt (and everything else) was still in fine shape when I sold it in 2015. I loved that machine (X500).

I don't think the Deere lawn tractors are made by MTD like the majority of other brands including Husqvarna. I bought mine in 2015 when I ER'd to replace a 25 yo Wheel Horse. I bought it at Home Depot but it was delivered by the local Deere dealer. Snapper and Toro are also independent. It's a nice machine.

My 3 yo John Deere X300 blew a serpentine belt this past spring. Half way through cutting the lawn. Saturday PM. Home Depot sells Deere, but they didn't have the right size belt. Had to wait until Monday am for the JD dealer to open until I could get the belt. Harder to buy the belt than it was to install.

OP - with your nice clean spacious garage, I thought you would jump at the chance to add a pulley to the ceiling so you can raise up the mower, and put down a cardboard box to insulate from the chilly floor so you can do the handyman thing. :D

Yesterday was a busy day I rushed to blow and rake the leaves pre mow and pre 1:00PM Penn State game. A soon as my visiting SIL left the Mrs lent a hand and raked up the substantial piles while the daughter continued ‘blowing’ the back and side of the house.

I walked out and opened the shed and jumped on my beloved John Deere drove around front. I lifted the lever that engages the blade and Bam no joy! A little sleuthing and I see that the god awful serpentine belt has jumped off the many pulleys. I put her away and proceeded to cut the front with the hand mower. 30 minutes later the Mrs took over as it was 1:00 Kick off time.

We installed that belt some months ago I believe pre 2nd knee surgery. I can’t talk about other people but I can do pretty much do everything with these new knees. Compared to the gimpy guy of a few years ago well its just great so far. What is however very uncomfortable is getting down on my knees. Just getting down on the ground to diagnose the problem was a chore. Trust me when I say it wasn’t pretty.

I think I paid $1,200 or so for Mr. John Deere 3 seasons ago. I’m told my lawn would cost $60 to mow. 20 mows a season and Bam Mr John owes this old man nothing. (60 mows at $60 = $3,600)

Ok now that I’ve properly rationalized it (I have haven’t I?). I’ve decided Im going to have the machine serviced. Plus I like putting money into the local economy... Dam I am a philanthropist too..

It has nothing to do with that cold garage floor and all that bending...right?

You do have good knee pads don't you? They (and one Alive every morning) make the difference in building my house or having someone else do it. I use the kind with a hard shell and soft rubber-like lining and replace them regularly.

Lighter duty John Deere lawn tractors are built at the John Deere factory in Greeneville, Tennessee. The heavier duty lawn and garden John Deere tractors are built at the John Deere factory in Horicon, Wisconsin.

For the record, JD and a bunch of other lesser-known brands are all made by the same manufacturer.

You need to check your records on this statement, it is not correct. My X730 was made in a John Deere plant.

OP - with your nice clean spacious garage, I thought you would jump at the chance to add a pulley to the ceiling so you can raise up the mower, and put down a cardboard box to insulate from the chilly floor so you can do the handyman thing. :D

I actually considered buying a couple of jack stands but then I’d have more clutter. The truth is I suspect something else is wrong... Before it threw the belt -unless I have it really cranked up it would stall when I engage the blades...

My 3 yo John Deere X300 blew a serpentine belt this past spring. Half way through cutting the lawn. Saturday PM. Home Depot sells Deere, but they didn't have the right size belt. Had to wait until Monday am for the JD dealer to open until I could get the belt. Harder to buy the belt than it was to install.

Guess I'll order a belt to have handy if I break one on a Sunday. I have been a bit put off by cost of some genuine parts but just realized filter change for the engine is 50 hrs and I'm only averaging 8 hrs/ yr.

Guess I'll order a belt to have handy if I break one on a Sunday. I have been a bit put off by cost of some genuine parts but just realized filter change for the engine is 50 hrs and I'm only averaging 8 hrs/ yr.

They make a maintenance kit that has oil, oil filter, air cleaner filter, spark plug and fuel filter all in one box. I do mine first thing every spring.

Some of the cheap units used to come out of MTD factory in Greenwood, MS. The X series were made by Deere.

I have a Toro zero turn. The dealer wants $75 for a belt on the mowerdeck. I go a tractor parts dealer and buy a A136 V belt for $28. Now I can get them on Amazon for $8-$10. I finally decided to idle the engine before engaging the PTO.

Love my 2009 JD 4120! For the five years I've had it, no problems.
We have a vacation home on 10 irrigated acres, and this thing has paid for itself over and over. I can't ever see parting with it.

IMAG0844-1.jpg DSC01595.jpg

Last edited:
Ive decided there’s no reason with the wife’s help I shouldn’t reinstall the belt. Maybe Ill tune it up and have it all set to go for next year....

Darn you guys your such a thrifty lot you’ve shamed me.

hesperus thats one nice tractor... Now i have tractor envy.

Last edited:
I take my zero turn in during the winter months to have it serviced. This is including new belts and blades. A little over kill by some peoples standards but it alleviates any problems in my case. I could do the maintenance myself but it is much easier and less frustrating.

Lighter duty John Deere lawn tractors are built at the John Deere factory in Greeneville, Tennessee. The heavier duty lawn and garden John Deere tractors are built at the John Deere factory in Horicon, Wisconsin.

And the difference is noticeable between these two facilities. You get what you pay for, even if you only pay a little more for the Wisconsin facility tractor.

They make a maintenance kit that has oil, oil filter, air cleaner filter, spark plug and fuel filter all in one box. I do mine first thing every spring.

Yeah. That's how I know the prices are so high ($50), but I also thought I had to change every 25 hrs, but I think it's actually 50 hrs. It has a service reminder so I ll have everything on hand when the time calls.

And the difference is noticeable between these two facilities. You get what you pay for, even if you only pay a little more for the Wisconsin facility tractor.

That could be implied from the lighter duty vs. heavier duty adjectives. :)

Back
Top Bottom