Join Early Retirement Today

Now This is Camping!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Now This is Camping!

This might make me want to take up camping!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sweet. but i think it is more camp than camping.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think this might delay my FIRE plans a bit.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the way it carries its baby in its own little pouch. Must be a marsupial.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was in a RV sales lot recently - there were many Class As under 200K and class Bs under 100K
One class A only had 13k miles - the previous owner must have taken a beating on selling it.
The Class As and Bs are nice but I would go with a 5th wheel if I was going large - less expensive to own and operate.

La Mesa RV Center - RV Specials
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
This might make me want to take up camping!!!

Yes - but where do you store the fishing poles, mud covered boots and marshmallow sticks? My border collie would look great on that couch.

It's beautiful - and a long way from mildewed canvas pup tent.
Now I have a case of coach envy :confused:
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
One class A only had 13k miles - the previous owner must have taken a beating on selling it.
Mileage usually has very little to do with the beating someone takes when selling a motorhome. Since most are not driven nearly as many miles as a typical car, age is the key factor in depreciation. Here's a schedule showing the average depreciation per year for Class A's.

20 Year Class A Depreciation

1 - 30 %
2 - 10 %
3 - 7 %
4 - 6 %
5 - 6 %
6 - 5 %
7 - 5 %
8 - 4 %
9 - 4 %
10 - 3 %
11 - 3 %
12 to 20 - 2 %

The first few years are killers as you can see. For anyone 'free spirited' enough (me) to buy a motorhome, this schedule makes a very compelling arguement for buying 'gently used' rather than new. The schedule is remarkably accurate in that I paid within $1,000 of what the schedule said the value should be at the 6 year point.

And speaking of taking a beating, I saw what the original owner paid for mine new and calculated his per mile depreciation cost: $1.73! And that did not include taxes, insurance, fuel, or maintenance.

Gotta be a little nuts to get into this as a hobby...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #8

We ordered one of these:
www.tada-rv.com - T@DA - Microlite RV Teardrop Travel Trailer - TADA TAB Daddy

Should be delivered in the next couple weeks. Wife can't wait. Expect to retire early next year and travel one week a month. Better than our 1985 VW camper which we are passing on to our older son.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yes - but where do you store the fishing poles, mud covered boots and marshmallow sticks? My border collie would look great on that couch.

It's beautiful - and a long way from mildewed canvas pup tent.
Now I have a case of coach envy :confused:
You store all the stuff in the basement,like where the car is..
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The Tada looks good but this is the one to buy - What is the price for the Tada.
Welcome to Casita - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailer
Old 11-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #11

That motorhome has to be well over $1MM. I guess cost is all relative to your networth. Those toys are for the Big Boys; not us normal folks.

Like Janet says, where do you put the cooler, Tiki torches and lawn chairs? We saw quite a few Prevost conversions in Hilton Head and they are amazing. Can't see spending that much on a motorhome but different strokes I guess.

We plan on keeping our motorhome for several years so the depreciation hit won't be as bad, at least short term. These things are not an investment...they are toys and you have to understand that before you buy one.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nice display of foolish spending even if they are well off. The thing will depreciate to zip.

I would much prefer driving a huge SUV with plenty of room and staying in 4-5 star hotels with maid service and 4-5 star restaurants. It seems to me that this it would be less expensive... especially if the ticket price is $1mm as someone suggested.

I suspect that it is used for someone who needs to travel for their profession... (Entertainer maybe).
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The Tada looks good but this is the one to buy - What is the price for the Tada.
Welcome to Casita - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailer
The T@da was about $20K, this includes about all the options they have including AC, furnace, hot water, 3 way fridge, convection oven and HD entertainment system. The unit is made by Thor, the same folks who make Airstreams (which is what my wife really wanted) it has an independent suspension and it is light, 2,500 with options and I suspect 3,500 with liquids & cargo. I checked the Casita, friends of ours have one, but we liked the livable space and the quality of the construction of the T@da, and its RED.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #14

I love the T@da! What an adorable camper--I see the Airstream mark in that design. Don't worry, you'll love the lifestyle so much that in 5-10 yrs, then your wife will be getting the Airstream!
Congrats--keep us posted on your exploits--and BTW, where are you mounting the kayaks? That has been the plague of our old Airstream motorhome--no where to put 'em, so we bought inflatables.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I love the T@da! What an adorable camper--I see the Airstream mark in that design. Don't worry, you'll love the lifestyle so much that in 5-10 yrs, then your wife will be getting the Airstream!
Congrats--keep us posted on your exploits--and BTW, where are you mounting the kayaks? That has been the plague of our old Airstream motorhome--no where to put 'em, so we bought inflatables.
Sarah
We have two Folbot folding kayaks, a single and a double. These are easy enough to carry inside or as cargo on a roof rack. I also have a wood kayak I built which I can carry on a Yakima roof rack on our tow vehicle, a Jeep Liberty diesel.