Join Early Retirement Today

Obama nor Clinton will have the needed delagates after the primaries.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Obama nor Clinton will have the needed delagates after the primaries.

Should be on heck of a convention in August. Wow.. Kinda like what you dream of, So what will happen then??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Should be on heck of a convention in August. Wow.. Kinda like what you dream of, So what will happen then??
The upper echelons in the Democratic party will decide which of the two they want, the superdelegates will all vote in that direction, and that candidate will magically win the vote at the convention.

Now to me, the interesting thing will be whether or not the winning candidate selects the other as V.P. I have heard rumors that Hillary will not accept a V.P. position. But, a Democratic ticket including both candidates would be harder for the Republicans to beat, it seems to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #3

It will be settled before the convention. Howard Dean and the DNC machine will see to that. Expect plenty of arm twisting, carrots and sticks to get one to step aside, and expect similar carrots and sticks to be dangled in front of superdelegates. I suspect that one would be Obama since I can NOT see a Clinton ever agreeing to set their ambitions aside, and I see her as the "machine candidate."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Food Fight!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It will be settled before the convention. Howard Dean and the DNC machine will see to that.
I doubt they have any power. As long as neither candidate quits or runs out of money, what can they do? Other than try to keep it a fair fight.

At this point I seen a dual ticket coming out of the convention, with the head of the ticket going to whomever has more pledged delegates. Barring any surprises, that looks like Obama at this point. Neither candidate will be happy about it, but it has happened before, with winning results (JFK/LBJ, Reagan/Bush, e.g.).
Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
I doubt they have any power. As long as neither candidate quits or runs out of money, what can they do? Other than try to keep it a fair fight.

At this point I seen a dual ticket coming out of the convention, with the head of the ticket going to whomever has more pledged delegates. Barring any surprises, that looks like Obama at this point. Neither candidate will be happy about it, but it has happened before, with winning results (JFK/LBJ, Reagan/Bush, e.g.).
I simply can not, under any circumstance, see HRC accepting second billing. I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

A party machine can make life easy or miserable for its member politicians. Top committee assignments, future backing of the machine, standing and power within the party on Capitol Hill, all can be influenced by the machine. Usually anyone with any ambition to rise to the top of the party has to go along in order to get along.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #7

They should thumb wrestle for it in a cage like in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

While somewhat long, this article sums up the situation well. It doesn't look good for HRC according this guy's calculations.

Hillary’s New Math Problem | Newsweek Voices - Jonathan Alter | Newsweek.com
Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sometimes wonder if the whole show is pre determined by some money/power mad secret group and the people just have the illusion that their vote counts for anything.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It will be interesting to see how the Clinton machine behaves when they are backed into a corner. No doubt it will be fun!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #11

I think second place would acceptable to both (VP is a heck of a promotion for a Senator) ... Clinton needs Obama as VP; but I don't think Obama wants/needs Clinton as VP.

Point being, Obama can carry the general election without Clinton (she's a liability, negatives are too high). But Clinton can not carry it without Obama (negatives too high and the black and youth vote will be alienated).

Should be interesting, especially if Clinton wins Penn.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the whole show is pre determined by some money/power mad secret group and the people just have the illusion that their vote counts for anything.
And the rest of the time I'm sure of it?

-ERD50
Old 03-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #13

Two men enter one man leaves.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #14

I agree pretty much with the guy who wrote the piece that Gator cites above in post #8. It seems like it is Senator Obama's party nomination to lose at this point.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If Florida and Michigan don't get decided and Edwards doesn't release his delgates, neither candidate will be able to get a majority on the first ballot. After the first ballot I believe delegates are completely free to vote for whomever they want.

I am sure that smoking is out at the DNC, but in the latte filled back rooms of the convention we could have a brokered convention.

I guess it is so too much to hope for that Democrats willl nominate Ralph Nader as a compromise candidate, but giving Al Gore a chance to be elected for a 2nd time (LOL) might happen.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that if Obama wins the primary, having Clinton as VP would cost votes; she's too polarizing, and both McCain and Obama have been good at wooing independents in the primaries. Going with a strong foreign affairs / military VP would be a plus.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #17

Maybe Al Gore will step up!