Obama nor Clinton will have the needed delagates after the primaries.

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Should be on heck of a convention in August. Wow.. Kinda like what you dream of:D, So what will happen then??

Should be on heck of a convention in August. Wow.. Kinda like what you dream of:D, So what will happen then??

The upper echelons in the Democratic party will decide which of the two they want, the superdelegates will all vote in that direction, and that candidate will magically win the vote at the convention.

Now to me, the interesting thing will be whether or not the winning candidate selects the other as V.P. I have heard rumors that Hillary will not accept a V.P. position. But, a Democratic ticket including both candidates would be harder for the Republicans to beat, it seems to me.

It will be settled before the convention. Howard Dean and the DNC machine will see to that. Expect plenty of arm twisting, carrots and sticks to get one to step aside, and expect similar carrots and sticks to be dangled in front of superdelegates. I suspect that one would be Obama since I can NOT see a Clinton ever agreeing to set their ambitions aside, and I see her as the "machine candidate."

It will be settled before the convention. Howard Dean and the DNC machine will see to that.

I doubt they have any power. As long as neither candidate quits or runs out of money, what can they do? Other than try to keep it a fair fight.

At this point I seen a dual ticket coming out of the convention, with the head of the ticket going to whomever has more pledged delegates. Barring any surprises, that looks like Obama at this point. Neither candidate will be happy about it, but it has happened before, with winning results (JFK/LBJ, Reagan/Bush, e.g.).

I doubt they have any power. As long as neither candidate quits or runs out of money, what can they do? Other than try to keep it a fair fight.

At this point I seen a dual ticket coming out of the convention, with the head of the ticket going to whomever has more pledged delegates. Barring any surprises, that looks like Obama at this point. Neither candidate will be happy about it, but it has happened before, with winning results (JFK/LBJ, Reagan/Bush, e.g.).
I simply can not, under any circumstance, see HRC accepting second billing. I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

A party machine can make life easy or miserable for its member politicians. Top committee assignments, future backing of the machine, standing and power within the party on Capitol Hill, all can be influenced by the machine. Usually anyone with any ambition to rise to the top of the party has to go along in order to get along.

They should thumb wrestle for it in a cage like in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

I sometimes wonder if the whole show is pre determined by some money/power mad secret group and the people just have the illusion that their vote counts for anything.

It will be interesting to see how the Clinton machine behaves when they are backed into a corner. No doubt it will be fun!

I think second place would acceptable to both (VP is a heck of a promotion for a Senator) ... Clinton needs Obama as VP; but I don't think Obama wants/needs Clinton as VP.

Point being, Obama can carry the general election without Clinton (she's a liability, negatives are too high). But Clinton can not carry it without Obama (negatives too high and the black and youth vote will be alienated).

Should be interesting, especially if Clinton wins Penn.

I sometimes wonder if the whole show is pre determined by some money/power mad secret group and the people just have the illusion that their vote counts for anything.

And the rest of the time I'm sure of it?

-ERD50

I agree pretty much with the guy who wrote the piece that Gator cites above in post #8. It seems like it is Senator Obama's party nomination to lose at this point.

2Cor521

If Florida and Michigan don't get decided and Edwards doesn't release his delgates, neither candidate will be able to get a majority on the first ballot. After the first ballot I believe delegates are completely free to vote for whomever they want.

I am sure that smoking is out at the DNC, but in the latte filled back rooms of the convention we could have a brokered convention.

I guess it is so too much to hope for that Democrats willl nominate Ralph Nader as a compromise candidate, but giving Al Gore a chance to be elected for a 2nd time (LOL) might happen.

I think that if Obama wins the primary, having Clinton as VP would cost votes; she's too polarizing, and both McCain and Obama have been good at wooing independents in the primaries. Going with a strong foreign affairs / military VP would be a plus.

Back
Top Bottom