Obama on grandmother "...she is a typical white person..."

These people that Obama associates with will be his "behind-the-scenes" advisors if he becomes president.

You know, like Cheney is the behind-the-scene guy for Bush.

Good luck, but Obama is off my list.

I'd wonder more about who would be his "Karl Rove" than his "Cheney"

With all the recent threads and posts on Mr. Obama here is something to calm us down

ABC News

A tall drink of water who is not to bad on the eyes.

GOD BLESS US ALL

From my POV, this is a matter of someone looking hard enough and long enough at the speech and interview to find something he insists we should all be offended by.

If you go through life looking for ways to be offended, you will always find them.

Last edited:
If you go through life looking for ways to be offended, you will always find them.

Agreed. Just ask Rev Wright, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barak Obama, etc - all cut from the same mold it now seems.

With all the recent threads and posts on Mr. Obama here is something to calm us down

ABC News

A tall drink of water who is not to bad on the eyes.

GOD BLESS US ALL

Very insightful political analysis there from a "typical Obama voter", er fan?, follower?

Her views are obviously very well thought out. It shows that she's really spent a lot of time studying the issues from various perspectives & she's definitely shown me the light as to why Obama is the man to cure all the country's (& probably the entire world's) ills.

Bread & Circuses

I think he should have added that she was 'typical for her generation'....in which case i think he would have been absolutely correct. Or perhaps he should have used the word 'average' or said "like a lot of".....

Either way, 99% of those who are pretending offense would never have voted for him any way. But it's a great sound bite for talking heads.

I think he should have added that she was 'typical for her generation'....in which case i think he would have been absolutely correct. Or perhaps he should have used the word 'average' or said "like a lot of".....

Either way, 99% of those who are pretending offense would never have voted for him any way. But it's a great sound bite for talking heads.

What the senator ascribed to his grandmother is not typical for a white person nor is it typical for her generation. There were people of her generation who worked risked their lives and safety to work with minorities for civil rights.

Don't forget that Martin Luther King, Ceasar Chavez and others of every color were members of her generation.

Please don't paint everyone with such generalizations; they taint the good reputation of many people.

What the senator ascribed to his grandmother is not typical for a white person nor is it typical for her generation. There were people of her generation who worked risked their lives and safety to work with minorities for civil rights.
And who was threatening their lives and safety? I think those you describe were not typical, they were extraordinary.

Don't forget that Martin Luther King, Ceasar Chavez and others of every color were members of her generation.
Nor were they white.

Please don't paint everyone with such generalizations; they taint the good reputation of many people.
Who said I was painting everyone? There is a difference between 'typical' and 'every last one.'

And who was threatening their lives and safety? I think those you describe were not typical, they were extraordinary.

Nor were they white.

Who said I was painting everyone? There is a difference between 'typical' and 'every last one.'

You statement was "I think he should have added that she was 'typical for her generation'....in which case i think he would have been absolutely correct."

There were many more people that were against the discrimination of that era. Some risked their safety; others supported through the legal system, government and voting. As with today's crime issue - there are a few who used violence and got much of the attention.

RE: "Nor were they white"
In your statement you said generation not race; if you correct your statement to race than you are saying the same as the senator.
The definition of the word typical is below (there are many things it does not mean)

All that I am saying is that in this situation; please don't disrespect the previous generation when presenting your point of view.

typ·i·cal
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈtɪp
thinsp.png
ɪ
thinsp.png
kəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tip-i-kuh
thinsp.png
l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.of the nature of or serving as a type or representative specimen. 2.conforming to a particular type. 3.Biology. exemplifying most nearly the essential characteristics of a higher group in natural history, and forming the type: the typical genus of a family. 4.characteristic or distinctive: He has the mannerisms typical of his class. 5.pertaining to, of the nature of, or serving as a type or emblem; symbolic.

Nor were they white.

I'm glad you set the record straight; it was getting a bit odd to think that Andrew Goodman and Mitchell Schwerner were typical of their generation and not the extraordinary people they were. And it was kinda wrong factually to say many people were typically like Goodman or Schwerner when they were typically like Obama's Grandmother; since when did being a person typical of the prejudice of the times become a really bad thing -- only when we look at it with the hindsight of better sensitivity? It's interesting -- Obama shows compassion for people, like his Grandmother, who were trapped by the prejudice of their times -- and he gets slammed here for maligning the extraordinary people who weren't trapped by the prejudice of their times. Go figure that one!

Agreed. Just ask Rev Wright, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barak Obama, etc - all cut from the same mold it now seems.

yes, they happen to try and give a voice to the concerns of the black community - the horror. Al and Jesse have used some lame tactics, are opportunists - but in the end are just trying to do what they think is the right thing - and most of the time they're right.

sure you might disagree with them - but go walk a mile in their shoes and tell me how you feel.

also - your putting barack with Al is exactly what Hannity wanted white folks and main stream america to do - lump him with the "old racial politics" - when in fact barack embraces a new racial politics...can someone go push that clock back 10 more years...two steps forward twenty five back...

Last edited:
I have learned that stereotypes DO exist for a reason. (and I can be the "typical" blonde at times!) Do they include ALL?? I'll admit it - even MY grandmother is a typical white person of her age (91)/generation...while not a verbal grump, I have always noticed there are some things/situations she is not pleased with and one might notice a very slight recoil regarding some racial issues, social issues, and class issues. It's ok in my book - I love her dearly - despite the fact that she grew up in a different "age" than I did. She still loves me despite the fact that I did not do the things she thought I should have. Such is life.

in fact barack embraces a new racial politics...

Well, up till lately I had thought Barak was unique in that he was a black politicion who wasn't doing the "racial politics" thing (new or old) & I had a certain respect for that.

Now I (and many others) know differently - and that's whats going to hurt him in the nomination process & the general election (if he gets the nom)

The way I see it - If Hillary gets the nomination, most of Obama's supporters are gonna vote for her or not vote at all - they won't be voting for McCain. If Obama get's the nomination there will be quite a few of former Clinton supporters who will vote McCain. This is a scenario the power brokers in the Dem Party are going to have to consider.

I suppose some folks would say it's my latent racism - but Obama's gonna fix that for us all some say. :D

There were many more people that were against the discrimination of that era. Some risked their safety; others supported through the legal system, government and voting. As with today's crime issue - there are a few who used violence and got much of the attention.
Obama said his grandmother was typical, referring to her as "a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe." I would say that was a lot more 'typical' of that generation than those who fought for civil rights.

RE: "Nor were they white"
In your statement you said generation not race; if you correct your statement to race than you are saying the same as the senator.
Perhaps 'typical white person of that generation' would be correct.

The definition of the word typical is below (there are many things it does not mean)

All that I am saying is that in this situation; please don't disrespect the previous generation when presenting your point of view.

I think he used the word typical incorrectly. But I think the gist of his statement is plain. I don't think it is disrespectful to point out racist thinking where it exists.

Obama said his grandmother was typical, referring to her as "a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe." I would say that was a lot more 'typical' of that generation than those who fought for civil rights.

Perhaps 'typical white person of that generation' would be correct.

I think he used the word typical incorrectly. But I think the gist of his statement is plain. I don't think it is disrespectful to point out racist thinking where it exists.

... I think you missed the point...

Dex

Come on... Drink the Koolaide. ;)

Don't worry... It will be painless. First your arms will grow numb, then...

Seriously... I have some concerns about Obama. But I think the issue has been over played.

There are some inner city blacks that are angry and disenfranchised. They are going to blame someone.

If Obama tries to make any radical changes as president... he will ensure that it will be many many years before another black person will get the nomination for president.

In a way, he has to live up to a higher standard than a white politician because any move that appears to wreak of favoritism will be met with strong opposition.

I am less concerned about him being overtly biased racially and more concerned about him being able to get anything done.

A vote for whoever (you pick them... including McCain) is against the status quo [-]traditional republican[/-] this year.

I don't understand why someone who supports hillary would support Mccain instead of Barack.

Hillary and Barack agree on most major policy issues - Mccain is similar to Bush in too many ways.

Back
Top Bottom