A morning meditation on "exceeding your limits"

re: exceeding limits - reminds me of something I read recently about Dean Karnazes. *this guy*...

The Perfect Human
Dean is an amazing runner, but an even better self-promoter. It's even covered in the article:
10. PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF YOURSELF

There was a big deal made when Dean ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. The problem is, another guy, Sam Thompson, was 40 days into doing the same thing when Dean started. Actually, Sam did 51 marathons (including DC) in 50 days.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1847106/running-man

Eventually Dean would pretty quietly acknowledge what Thompson did, but only if asked. This was pretty typical, he would do extraordinary things, but make it out to be as if he was the only guy to do such things (occasionally true) and the only one capable of it (definitely not true).

But hey, you might as well make money off of something like this if you can. I know a guy, good friend of my nephew, who holds the record for running across America (42 days, 6.5 hours, over 71 miles per day. He also ran from the Kenai Peninsula (beyond Anchorage) to Key West, 5300 miles, in 98 days, self supported. Other than getting some sponsorship money to help with the runs, I don't think he has even tried to monetize it. I don't know why. WORLD RECORD RUN ACROSS AMERICA is his web page.

Anyway, Dean is not the most popular guy in ultra running. Many would rather the sport stay low key. His best finish at the Western States 100, which is pretty much considered the premiere 100 miler in the US, his best finish is 4th.

For me it’s never been about trying to exceed, but more about achieving what I set out to do. There’s a difference. With one you do everything in your power to get where you think you should be. There other assumes some doubt and therefore the need to push to get there. I guess some call it quiet confidence.
The key is deciding what is really important and then setting that unwavering path to it. As I age, some things take on far less importance.

I push my limits. Exceeding them can be dangerous. 240.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom