Obama on grandmother "...she is a typical white person..."

But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society.

Yea, looks like he really threw ol' granny under the presidential sweepstakes bus didn't he? I'm unsure what a typical white person is, but I'm white and I do not have those experiences "bred" in me or my family. He should not be painting with such a broad brush.

Taylor Marsh: Obama: Grandmother "Typical White Person" - Politics on The Huffington Post

This is an example on how the 20 year relationship that the senator has had with Pastor Wright has shaped the senator's perceptions.

What would the reaction be if anyone else running for the president of the USA used the phrase "typical black person"

Pretty much the same as your own which is why discussions of race end so badly. Too much bile under the bridge. Too much viewing the subject through the prism of old hurts and ignorance with the expectation that the other side has to make the first move to resolve the matter. But you know we have to get past that stuff because no one is leaving this wonderful country of ours and we all have the right to be here so we have got to try and get along. I am not interested in living in a situation like the Middle East or Northern Ireland and the like where the argument goes on forever. Its getting old.

Yeah, and those white people all look alike too. Real cute the way he brought his white grand mother up.

Now I understand - I won't be voting for Obama because - as a typical white man - I apparently have some inbred fear of him. And I thought it was simply because he is the liberalest (if that's a word) of the liberals. I'm grateful that there are people out there that are willing to tell me what to think - I'd be lost without them.

No shortage of people trying to tell us what to think...

"Now every Sunday, after church, there'd be a meetin' on the ground.
Some poor soul, she would always say, "it's a shame 'bout Freida Brown.
Mama and ladies they formed a society,
They run Freida outta town."

Roy Buchanan, Good God Have Mercy, Street Called Straight

To be clear - those words were not in his speech, they were comments made during an interview afterwards.

Poor choice of words, no question. If he had said that in a written speech, it would be bad. To choose words poorly in an interview is unfortunate but I won't read too much into it, unless I see it repeated. I'm sure he is wishing he said 'like some', rather than 'typical'.

Of course, when you are in the public eye, every word is scrutinized. No wonder so many qualified people won't run for office.

-ERD50

To be clear - those words were not in his speech, they were comments made during an interview afterwards.

Poor choice of words, no question. If he had said that in a written speech, it would be bad. To choose words poorly in an interview is unfortunate but I won't read too much into it, unless I see it repeated. I'm sure he is wishing he said 'like some', rather than 'typical'.

Of course, when you are in the public eye, every word is scrutinized. No wonder so many qualified people won't run for office.

-ERD50

Freudian slip maybe?

-ERD50

Only difference between a speech and an interview is that you and all your handlers can go over a speech to be sure it doesn't say too much.

From my POV, the interview is the spilled milk- a speech is the kitchen after you and your maid have had the chance to clean and cover it up.

Ha

Only difference between a speech and an interview is that you and all your handlers can go over a speech to be sure it doesn't say too much.

From my POV, the interview is the spilled milk- a speech is the kitchen after you and your maid have had the chance to clean and cover it up.

Ha

Could be. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If it is what he believes, it will come out again.

If every slip in wording I have made was taken as a window into my soul, well, let's not go there.

-ERD50

From my POV, this is a matter of someone looking hard enough and long enough at the speech and interview to find something he insists we should all be offended by.

Could be. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If it is what he believes, it will come out again. ......

-ERD50

As long as you put it that way, then, let's just hope if it does come out again it's before Nov 5th rather than after.

Capitalism rules. These are 23.99 online.

jitcrunch.aspx

From my POV, this is a matter of someone looking hard enough and long enough at the speech and interview to find something he insists we should all be offended by.

I also agree that it's a reasonable explanation.

As long as you put it that way, then, let's just hope if it does come out again it's before Nov 5th rather than after.

Well, if he does, I'm sure you'll let us know about it!

Personally, I think a McCain-Obama campaign will be much more interesting and telling than a McCain-Clinton campaign. I'm rooting for Obama at this point. Whether I would vote for him over McCain is yet to be seen.

-ERD50

People are making much too much about this whole Rev. Wright thing. Are we all being a tad over sensitive about this:confused::confused: No need to take it personally.

These people that Obama associates with will be his "behind-the-scenes" advisors if he becomes president.

You know, like Cheney is the behind-the-scene guy for Bush.

Good luck, but Obama is off my list.

I wonder if "Typial..." will become the new "whatever". Will people be saying

Typical - fill in religion
Typical - fill in sexual orientation
TYpical - fill in national origin
Typical - fill in race
I think at the bottom of each there should be the following:
*Typical excuse - e.g. slip of the tungue or you know I'm too aware to actually say that.

These people that Obama associates with will be his "behind-the-scenes" advisors if he becomes president.

You know, like Cheney is the behind-the-scene guy for Bush.

Good luck, but Obama is off my list.
If Wright is Obama's VP choice, I'll pass on him too.

I'm a typical white person. Should I be offended? Please tell me, pundits of ER.org. ??

I'm a typical white person. Should I be offended? Please tell me, pundits of ER.org. ??

Student, by your asking the question it is obvious you have not reached the void on a permanent basis. When you do you will know when to offend and when to feel offended. Until then leave it to others; it is more advanced than you know. Also, you should not attempt humor, sarcasim heavy lifting, or a souflet.

Student, by your asking the question it is obvious you have not reached the void on a permanent basis. When you do you will know when to offend and when to feel offended. Until then leave it to others; it is more advanced than you know. Also, you should not attempt humor, sarcasim heavy lifting, or a souflet.

Thank you, grasshopper. I will keep that in mind.

You, however, should not attempt spelling. :)

Back
Top Bottom