Oh Canada!

A friend of mine at Little Rock AFB and I drove to Houston to see Neil Young in 76. The acoustic set was good but when Crazy Horse came out and he strapped on an electric guitar it was a whole new show. That guy is amazing.
As for Canada, we spent a total of two days in Vancouver. The FOOD is what slayed me. We ate at our first Greek restaurant there. A mom and pop operation. First pita bread (hot out of the oven), first souvlaki (lamb, chicken combo), first tatziki (that's misspelled I'm sure), first hummus and a Greek salad with nothing but oil and lemon as a dressing. I can make every one of them except the pita bread in my sleep now. I'd really like to go back some day and do nothing but eat for a couple of weeks.

There are a lot of talented people born in Canada. Seems like a good place to be from :).

I haven't ever been to Canada, though it is the one and only country I might want to visit someday. The natural beauty in places like Nova Scotia is amazing in the photos that I have seen online.

In my opinion, Canadians are Canada's national treasure. I have known some truly wonderful people from Canada in my lifetime.

We enjoy Escape The Heat road trips to Canada. Canada is reliably cool in the summer. Our road trips are to rural Canada far from the big cities and tourist traps. We find that rural Canada is much like the USA before the interstate highways were built.

The only recollections I can dredge up of Expo '67, the World's Fair in Montreal, are camping out on the drive up there from Ohio, and a truly awful meal at the Soviet Pavilion
expodition_19670814_hr.jpg

-- dominated by strong raw onions. It's embarrassing that I can't remember more. And then the only other time I visited Canada, at least 20 years later, was a train trip from Ottawa up to Nova Scotia, then driving around the island -- beautiful scenery including a million or so lighthouses.
blackrock1_kal.jpg

But Halifax was more a business center than a tourist mecca -- a bit dreary.

Last edited:
Lots of space, great fishing, nice cities and, of course, the Canadian Rockies:

Attachments

• 5046652257_l.jpg
    5046652257_l.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 1
Molson Brador Ale
I had not thought of this for a long time but I used to grab a case of this about every second weekend in the summer when I was in my early twenties and we would head for the local quarry and party in a secluded corner. Almost wish I was that young again but still smarter.

I had not thought of this for a long time but I used to grab a case of this about every second weekend in the summer when I was in my early twenties and we would head for the local quarry and party in a secluded corner. Almost wish I was that young again but still smarter.
Eating borscht and sour cream in Castelgar. Those Doukhobors do sour cream right.

Ha

My grand parents came to the US from Canada and of course, hockey.

One of the most "liveable" cities I've ever encountered is Victoria, BC.
Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever afford to live there, but it's a fantastic place to visit.

Canada's a great country. My SIL is Canadian, so +1 to
There are a lot of talented people born in Canada. Seems like a good place to be from :).
We've visited many times and always had excellent trips. The food is fantastic - the ethnic variety in Toronto is better than many large US cities. My SIL's father brings us Lebanese pastries from Montreal that are outstanding and are going to make me fat.

Montreal is a wonderful city to visit, but it does get a bit chilly.

Real Estate taxes on our "camp" in an unincorporated township cost us under 400 bucks a year. My boss has lake house in upper Peninsula MI, taxes run him about 5000 bucks a year ---- snicker --- guess who is going to retire first :)

We plan to summer there in retirement and winter ... some where warm, still have 6-8 years to decide where that will be.

If I was smarter I could figure out how to insert a picture...:confused:

One of the most "liveable" cities I've ever encountered is Victoria, BC.
Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever afford to live there, but it's a fantastic place to visit.

Shhhhhhhhh!!!:mad:

Some of us are wanting to retire near there. Let's keep it's liveability quiet, to not increase the cost of living any more than it has to.:cool:

For me, Victoria has the most agreeable climate in Canada, (and probably North America) on a year round basis.

Bob and Doug McKenzie;)

Real Estate taxes on our "camp" in an unincorporated township cost us under 400 bucks a year.

We plan to summer there in retirement and winter ... some where warm, still have 6-8 years to decide where that will be.

If I was smarter I could figure out how to insert a picture...:confused:

If it's a "camp" then it must be in Northern Ontario. Everything south of the French River is a "cottage".

I spend my summers near the French - best weather in Canada from June to September. After that it gets a bit chilly (e.g. -47 deg. with the windchill in January). I'd head for somewhere warm too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attempting to attach a picture from "camp"

Do how'd you do it? I tried to put in a photo and all I get is an X marks the spot.

the system asked me for a URL. My pics don't generally have a URL attached to them.

Nui

Attachments

• grundy morning.jpg
    grundy morning.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
There are some really great Canadian artists. IMO, Neil Young is not one of them.

Try Ian and Sylvia Tyson. I am amazed at how many great songs they wrote. And how many I didn't know they wrote.

Back
Top Bottom