Oh,Canada--how can this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
Welll, the news of the last few days just leaves me with more questions than you can imagine!

I've heard so much earnest talk from our Canadian friends about how the US approach to aggressively confronting terrorism would only stir up trouble for us, and how Canada's more sensitive, enlightened approach would be more productive and help avoid the ire of the radical Islamists. There'd be no involvement in Iraq for them--no siree! And Afghanistan--okay, but only as part of the ISAF force so as not to be seen as being cowboys. Then we read that these same misunderstood, victimized Muslims were planning to attack in Canada of all places--the enlightened Switzerland of our continent! How can this be?

Well, the mystery was only compounded when I learned about the circumstances surrounding the arrest of some of these people--rounded up they were--and of the 17, five were just children!! Minors!! These poor kids are now being held in God-knows what type of hell (has anyone seen the pictures yet? I'm sure there are snarling poodles being used to interrogate the little tykes.) I'll be writing a letter to the UN tonight demanding that the Red Cross and Red Crescent be allowed to see them immediately and to ascertain that they are not being mistreated (has anyone seen a Red Cross report?? Nope, I thought not! What do you make of that! How do you say "Abu Gharaib" in French?) )

What about their right to counsel! Apparently, the Canadians are not respecting the most basic laws of international due process, the right of the accused to have unfettered access to legal assistance.
" Lawyer Donald McLeod said he and his colleagues have only been able to speak to their clients through Plexiglas and want private visits with them.

The defence lawyers also alleged that clients' rights were being violated because a guard in full riot gear was always present when a lawyer held a privileged conversation with a client."
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/06/suspects-hearing.html

So, the jack-booted representative of the State's oppressive power is there, listening, no-doubt taking notes as these men discuss their fate with their lawyers. Oh, that will result in a fair trial!!

Canadian press reports indicate all of those arrested have "Arabic names." Well, that's just a little too convenient, isn't it. Just what is an "Arabic name?" Maybe a little profiling has been used to bring special police attention on these particular Canadian citizens?

Well, I'm sure many of us are full of concern at how fast the enlightened attitude of the Canadians is unraveling--if it ever truly existed in the first place! If the maple leaf of civility has fallen off this quickly after a mere hint of a plot, the mind boggles at what these reactionaries would have done if airliners had plowed into the tallest building in Canada (the McIntosh Marshmallow Factory corn bin in Manitoba)
or slammed into the Canadian Defense Force hedquarters. Or imagine if 3000 of her people had been murdered in a single day.

Well, not to paint with too broad a brush. The Canadians have a history of independence and grit. They were on the side of freedom in WWI, WWII, and Korea--and they paid a heavy price in all these wars. They pulled an important weight during the Cold War. The US and Canada have far more in common than some in the US (or Canada) want to admit. The Islamic fanatics are doing everyhting they can to demonstrate that no middle ground is possible--they see pluralism and freedom as corrupting, and evil. They are willing to use violence against non-Muslims to achieve their goals. So, unwittingly, they are serving to educate a new generation in the same lesson Chamberlain and the rest of us learned in 1939.

Prime Minister Harper, speaking to military recruits Saturday, said: "Their target, their alleged target, was Canada -- Canada's institutions, Canada's economy, Canada's people.

"We are targeted because of who we are and the way we live," he said. "Because of our society, our diversity and our values."

Yep, that's why they targeted the U.S, too. Not because of our foreign policy--it's because of who we are.

(There--that ought to get things hopping! >:D)

samclem, [MODERATOR EDIT], we have reacted to a potential problem, yours are about to happen.

Canada identified SARS and reacted, America pretended it was the Flu.

We identified Mad Cow and reacted, the US just Shot, Shut Up and Shovelled.

I feel more secure in TO than I would in any U.S. City.

Harper is acting too much like Bush, he may well be dumped in the next election?

Maximillion said:
Max is a sports model.

Absolutely without question the most sensible and intelligent thing you've ever said.

Which is to say that it makes no sense at all, and is equally out of context to everything and anything, which is an improvement over your usual.

Very interesting post, samclem.

I was just thinking the other day about how much more Canada has in common with the U.S. than is generally spoken about in either country, including a tradition of individualism. Really, a lot of the identification with British social statism, or continental politics and culture, is exaggerated or even made-up.

Also, it's pretty clear that the Islamic terrorists are interested in killing infidels no matter what, and aren't particularly reacting to any kind of "oppression" or "illegal invasion." Although, I think that's something that we could have said a number of years ago -- Osama's mentioned wanting to blow up Canadian infidels, there were reports of this type of planned attack on Canada a few years ago, and so on -- I don't really think the evidence has been ambiguous or missing for some time now, that the terrorists are actually targeting Canada and not just the "unilateralist cowboys" to the south. For that matter, they've actually gone out and attacked a number of other non-unilateralist cowboys, e.g. Jordanian mosques, Russian schools, Indian churches, etc.

All in all, it's quite disturbing news. While I'd like to see more Canadians take seriously the war being waged by Islamic fundamentalists, it's a relief that this discovery came by way of arrests rather than 24-hour cable coverage of a hostage situation, explosions, beheadings, etc.

Maximillion said:
Max is a sports model.

That doesn't look like a cast on your cat's leg. What is it? Looks like a red sexe toy.

justin, I am sure you and CFB have a wealth of experiance with Sex Toys, your partners have to find something interesting to do while in bed.:confused:

Diaper Daddy, shouldn't you be spending quality time with the child:confused:?

The Terrorists first drew attention to themselves bringing in Guns from the U.S and have links to another group in Georgia.

Maybe Max isn't drunk when he posts here, but he lets his dog pound the keyboard with his sex toy and rambling anti-American nonsense comes out. :LOL:

idog.jpg

Well, except in Max's case.... ;)

samclem said:
I've heard so much earnest talk from our Canadian friends about how the US approach to aggressively confronting terrorism would only stir up trouble for us, and how Canada's more sensitive, enlightened approach would be more productive and help avoid the ire of the radical Islamists.  There'd be no involvement in Iraq for them--no siree! 

They seem to be combating terrorism just fine without being involved in the "central front of the global war on terror" ::)

Cool Dood said:
Also, it's pretty clear that the Islamic terrorists are interested in killing infidels no matter what, and aren't particularly reacting to any kind of "oppression" or "illegal invasion." Although, I think that's something that we could have said a number of years ago --

Not really, that was just the excuse that got the most attention. Radical Islam is just a group of whacked out xenophobes who want to destroy or subjugate anything that doesn't meet their concept of how the world should be. Canada, the US and the UK are like the old woman, we have snuggled the half-frozen snake to our breast and when we feel the fangs sink in we should not be surprised.

"I saved you," cried that woman
"And you've bit me even, why?
You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in
"Take me in, oh tender woman
Take me in, for heaven's sake
Take me in oh tender woman," sighed the snake

Around here when I see a poisonous snake near my house I grab a shovel and chop its head off.

Leonidas: I think I meant the opposite of what you interpreted me as saying. My original post was a bit unclear, but I meant that we already knew a number of years ago that the jihadis are just out to kill infidels, and don't really care about excuses and justifications like the war in Iraq or their supposed poverty.

Of course, maybe you interpreted what I wrote correctly, but then I misinterpreted what you wrote -- I'm at work now, so I don't really have time to parse comments in every imaginable way! ;)

Cool Dood said:
Leonidas: I think I meant the opposite of what you interpreted me as saying. My original post was a bit unclear, but I meant that we already knew a number of years ago that the jihadis are just out to kill infidels, and don't really care about excuses and justifications like the war in Iraq or their supposed poverty.

Of course, maybe you interpreted what I wrote correctly, but then I misinterpreted what you wrote -- I'm at w*rk now, so I don't really have time to parse comments in every imaginable way! ;)

That's what it was - I misunderstood and thought you were claiming the opposite of what you were really saying. :)

Maximillion said:
justin, I am sure you and CFB have a wealth of experiance with Sex Toys, your partners have to find something interesting to do while in bed.:confused:

Your wife never complained.

Seriously though, is that a dirty adult toy on your dog? Ya'll canadians do some crazy $hit up there. Guess it gets really cold in the winter... ;)

Leonidas said:
Cool Dood said:
Also, it's pretty clear that the Islamic terrorists are interested in killing infidels no matter what, and aren't particularly reacting to any kind of "oppression" or "illegal invasion." Although, I think that's something that we could have said a number of years ago --

Not really, that was just the excuse that got the most attention.  Radical Islam is just a group of whacked out xenophobes who want to destroy or subjugate anything that doesn't meet their concept of how the world should be. Canada, the US and the UK are like the old woman, we have snuggled the half-frozen snake to our breast and when we feel the fangs sink in we should not be surprised. 

"I saved you," cried that woman
"And you've bit me even, why?
You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in
"Take me in, oh tender woman
Take me in, for heaven's sake
Take me in oh tender woman," sighed the snake

Around here when I see a poisonous snake near my house I grab a shovel and chop its head off.

Hey Leo-Man, I like your note.

Ha

justin said:
Maximillion said:

Your wife never complained.

Seriously though, is that a dirty adult toy on your dog? Ya'll canadians do some crazy $hit up there. Guess it gets really cold in the winter... ;)

Justin...are you trying to take my job away? Sure looks like the case...

Which is fine, saves me a fair bit of time.

What I think is disgusting is firing a pregnant woman at work, figuring she's just 'scamming' you, then coming home and breaking your dogs leg, then using your sex toy as a cast. Now the really gross thing would be continuing to use it for its intended function WHILE its still attached to the dog.

That'd take some very heavy drugs.

Which would explain a lot of things.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Justin...are you trying to take my j*b away? Sure looks like the case...

No, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why there is what appears to be a rubber ding-dong strapped to that poor dog.

When I used to pick on my sister and my sister would howl for dad, my dad would say to her "it takes two to tease." Inotherwords, her reaction was rewarding to me. :-[

Come on Bunny and Justin, let's quit baiting Max for the day. I know he asks for it, and his responses are rewarding, but it's time to stop with the sex toy thing.

Max, cripe, give the "mommies change diapers, daddies don't" routine a rest for a while.

Ok. No more making fun of Max or his dog with questionable motives.

I think the sex toy thing has been taken as far as its going to go anyhow.

Justin - lets not blame the dog. I'm sure it doesnt know any better. Its never met any american dogs, all of which are too tough to want to wear a red cast on their legs. If someone managed to break their superior american dog leg bones.

I'll be glad to put off any further baiting until tomorrow, per your request Madame Martha ;)

So Martha, tell us more about you and your sister teasing each other :)

Martha said:
Come on Bunny and Justin, let's quit baiting Max for the day. I know he asks for it, and his responses are rewarding, but it's time to stop with the sex toy thing.

Max, cripe, give the "mommies change diapers, daddies don't" routine a rest for a while.

Thanks for stepping in, Martha. It is really boring reading that stuff over and over.

Should we ask Dory to create a new topic called "Go to your room?" That way the moderators can move any post with a maturity level under age 16 there, avoid being accused of censorship, and let the rest of us ignore it ;).

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Should we ask Dory to create a new topic called "Go to your room?" That way the moderators can move any post with a maturity level under age 16 there, avoid being accused of censorship, and let the rest of us ignore it ;).
Aw, one of the benefits of being a moderator is being able to read that thread on the private moderator's board!

But I like the idea of keeping it in public where everyone can stop asking "What did they say?!?"

RIT, you do that and CFB and Justin will have to find a new sand box.

I just consider the source,and the fact that an individual rather than work to support a child relies upon his wife, and rationalises his sloth and spends all his time at a Message board, says it all.

I would also draw attention to the fact that every confrontation is initiated by CFB , and a little buddy jumps in, and these children have to learn, try to play rough with the bigger kids and you will invariably be spanked.

CFB,get a job and a life.

Maximillion said:
RIT, you do that and CFB and Justin will have to find a new sand box.

I just consider the source,and the fact that an individual rather than work to support a child relies upon his wife, and rationalises his sloth and spends all his time at a Message board, says it all.

I would also draw attention to the fact that every confrontation is initiated by CFB , and a little buddy jumps in, and these children have to learn, try to play rough with the bigger kids and you will invariably be spanked.

CFB,get a job and a life.

Gosh, if any small part of that was even partly true, i'd be blushing!

:LOL:

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Thanks for stepping in, Martha. It is really boring reading that stuff over and over.

I predict it would get the heaviest traffic on the board.

Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom