Join Early Retirement Today

Oh No! She wants me to extend the deck...AGAIN!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh No! She wants me to extend the deck...AGAIN!

Some of you might remember THIS THREAD about my last deck extension....I added about 180 sf tomake a 19x16 rectangle.

Now, the wife is offering to pay for 100% of materials from her savings if I build another 8x16ft section...essentially wrapping it around my addition.

This part will only be 2-3 ft off the ground, so much easier to work on. If I do a section this big every 2 years for a while,I'll have a full wrap-around porch some day. By then,the orginal section should be shot and need replaced!!! The problem will be getting to it!!!!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #2

Tell her that it's purely biological luck of the draw that it requires extensive and painful surgery to extend the, just a second, oh, the deck! Never mind.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Tell her that it's purely biological luck of the draw that it requires extensive and painful surgery to extend the, just a second, oh, the deck! Never mind.

better yet...remind her that it only takes a little more effort on her part,and i could...

yeah....the deck...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Decks not constructed with the services of an engineer or architect worry me A LOT. Too many have inadequate anchors (to the home and/or footings).

Call me anal, but tell your wife that before you can consider any modification tell her that you need to call out a professional to evaluate your options. Not only will that cool her jets, but if you do that you will know if there are any safety issues.

If an accident involving the deck should happen and you have constructed it without a building permit your insurer may decline coverage.

Oh, an no dancing on the deck unless it is just you and your spouse, no way, no how.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Call me anal...
OK, if you insist. But I'd kinda gotten used to Brat...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #6

Don't forget to pick up the dog turds before you start digging...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Decks not constructed with the services of an engineer or architect worry me A LOT. Too many have inadequate anchors (to the home and/or footings).

Call me anal, but tell your wife that before you can consider any modification tell her that you need to call out a professional to evaluate your options. Not only will that cool her jets, but if you do that you will know if there are any safety issues.

If an accident involving the deck should happen and you have constructed it without a building permit your insurer may decline coverage.

Oh, an no dancing on the deck unless it is just you and your spouse, no way, no how.
I think calling in an architect or engineer for a 30" high deck is a bit extreme. Can you tell me in what case would 'code' not be sufficient? IE 36" deep holes, 4x4" posts every 4 feet, 2x8's or 2x10's 16" on center,etc
Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I think calling in an architect or engineer for a 30" high deck is a bit extreme. Can you tell me in what case would 'code' not be sufficient? IE 36" deep holes, 4x4" posts every 4 feet, 2x8's or 2x10's 16" on center,etc
a case where the soil does not have the bearing capacity to support the deck.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The original will need to be redone? What the heck are you making it out of?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Honest, there are lots of structural issues to consider when building a deck. The load bearing capacity of the soil, the character and strength of the structure, how well it is attached to the house.

Whether or not it would require a building permit will depend on your city/county building codes. I suspect it will.

DH and I cringe when watching "Property Virgin" and similar programs. It is obvious that many decks are inadequately constructed and are disasters waiting to happen.

In-vision for a moment what would happen if there was a failure... At 30 inches above the ground there would likely be more than skinned knees. Broken bones, spinal injury, penetrating wounds. If you didn't get a permit and should have your insurer may not protect you. Maybe because my DH is an architect who has practiced for 45 years I notice structural failures more than most, but let me assure you that failures such as I allude to have and do happen with serious injuries resulting.

Our deck/porch: a bridal party could do the Macarena on it and their drinks would not spill.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #11

well, its about to be finished. only thing left is balusters and small set of stairs. wife's duty is the ballusters...she did them on the rest of the railing. and i have to start fresh to tackle custom stairs

19 hrs by myself....pics 2 follow soon
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #12

thefed17/deck - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the pic called deck 10 shows the corner we will be turning to extend this next year....it'll be a 16x16-ish square
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #13

Got the stairs on today, resting on a nice set of blocks I set today as well. All I need is about 1 hr to do the ballusters (cant wait for the wife...and want to use my new nail gun)...and I'm done!

I guess im supposed to wait 2-4 months before sealing it though...to allow the lumber to dry....so that'll be my late summer project