old golf clubs

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What have other people done with their old golf clubs. Is there a way to recycle them? I inherited two sets of clubs from my father and don't know what to do with them. Some of these are really old ones from the 1960's with actual wood on the woods, and names like Cary Middlecoff signature on the irons.

ebay or donate them to the first tee or a local school golf team

being that they are really old you may want to just sell them on cl or ebay

Is there a "Play it Again Sports" shop in your area? They buy used equipment.

Or ask at the golf shop, they sell old stuff sometimes too.

Golf clubs drop in value very quickly, most clubs over 10 years old have very little if any resale value. You might be lucky to have someone take them even if you offer it for free. Have a yard sale, put a $10 tag on them and hope someone who doesn't know anything about golf bites.

First, use them. There may be a gem in there for you. Years ago, I had a three wood that was my go to club. I don’t know why, but I could always hit that club straight even though my tendency is to hit a slice. Since I got rid of that club, I haven’t found a three wood that I can hit. I wish I’d have never got rid of that club.

Also, just last week I was golfing with this very senior golfer. He went out to some tall grass with what I thought was a fairway wood. I though, no way he’s getting out of there with that. Wrong. He comes out with a smile on his face and shows me this club, forget the name, that’s an old wood with a funny looking bottom. And he says, this thing always gets me out of trouble.

Somebody gave me great advice years ago: never sell a bike or golf clubs. You might eventually circle back to wishing you had them.

I still use my Dad's clubs, Spalding Executives circa 1968. Also have his 'new' set that my son plays with Wilson ProStaff maybe from 1975 or so. My game isn't going to get any better with new clubs. Did upgrade the woods.

I donated a bunch to a local nonprofit that takes used sports equipment and gets it to kids and teams that don't always have the means for purchasing.

Also included in my donation were 15 of DH's tennis racquets. And that wasn't even all of them!

ebay or donate them to the first tee or a local school golf team

being that they are really old you may want to just sell them on cl or ebay
+1. I sold my irons on eBay and donated my (metal) woods and putters to The First Tee (at most golf courses) https://thefirsttee.org/. Like others have said, most old clubs will bring 10-20 cents on the dollar (vs current prices) if that.

Last edited:
I used to sell them on EBay. But since USPS's shipping cost went up, I just donate them.

My unused clubs are clones that no one would buy. But, like COcheese suggests, I'm keeping them in case I circle back or just want to go out with a friend some day.

unless the club has antique or sentimental value it won't be worth that much

DW plays with her grandfathers putter - it's a POS from the 30s but it has a leather grip :lol:

Golf clubs drop in value very quickly, most clubs over 10 years old have very little if any resale value. You might be lucky to have someone take them even if you offer it for free. Have a yard sale, put a $10 tag on them and hope someone who doesn't know anything about golf bites.

Agree. There are plenty of newer clubs for sale at low prices that were built with better technology, so unless the set is a specific vintage set with collector value it might only be worth $20 - $50.

I just found this unintentionally hilarious you tube on scrapping golf clubs for recycle. Reminded me of the Bill Murray character in the movie caddy shack.

So I found out that some manufacturers have trade in programs. I'm going to to that as much as possible, I think. So the older ones can be traded in maybe, and the newer ones can be donated ( I have 2 1/2 sets). I'll check out this path.

So I found out that some manufacturers have trade in programs. I'm going to to that as much as possible, I think. So the older ones can be traded in maybe, and the newer ones can be donated ( I have 2 1/2 sets). I'll check out this path.

There are quite a few places online that offer trade-ins, just Google 'golf club trade in'. Some manufacturers like Ping will send you to one of the trade-in companies (2nd Swing). Typically you go through a series of menus to select the clubs you want to trade in and they will give you an instant price, it will likely be less than what you could sell them for on eBay but should be hassle free. If the clubs you want to trade in aren't listed it's probably a good clue that the clubs have little or no value.

Back
Top Bottom