Post Photos of Your Old Concert Ticket Stubs Here!

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was looking through some boxes of stuff I've saved over the years and I came upon a bunch of ticket stubs from concerts I had attended years ago, when I was in my 20's and 30's.

Check out the prices! This was back when people bought music on physical media like vinyl LPs and the artists and record companies actually got a decent cut of money from the fans. The concert circuit was a way to get people to buy their music. Nowadays it seems to be reversed--music exists to get people to buy concert tickets.

I also had stubs for Styx (1978) Van Halen (1978) another Rod Stewart (1991) and Brooks and Dunn with Pam Tillis as opening act (1995.)

Anyway, have a look (click photo to enlarge). Also, please post photos or scans of your old concert tickets.

Concert Ticket Stubs 1080px.jpg

Don't have the old stubs, didn't use to save those kinds of things. I do remember paying $14 for a PAIR of Fleetwood Mac (opening act was Jeff Beck) tickets for a June 30, 1976 concert in Cincinnati. I was waiting tables that summer before leaving for college. That was a lot of tips I had to work for.

I have no photos to contribute but wanted to say that old ticket stubs like that can go for good money on ebay if you're ever looking to get rid of them. You might want to spend a few minutes browsing sold listings of similar items to see what your stash is worth.

I was looking through some boxes of stuff I've saved over the years and I came upon a bunch of ticket stubs from concerts I had attended years ago, when I was in my 20's and 30's.

Check out the prices! This was back when people bought music on physical media like vinyl LPs and the artists and record companies actually got a decent cut of money from the fans. The concert circuit was a way to get people to buy their music. Nowadays it seems to be reversed--music exists to get people to buy concert tickets.

I also had stubs for Styx (1978) Van Halen (1978) another Rod Stewart (1991) and Brooks and Dunn with Pam Tillis as opening act (1995.)

Anyway, have a look (click photo to enlarge). Also, please post photos or scans of your old concert tickets.

View attachment 48093

Those are some good ones.
I have no photos , but I saw Kinks in 82, Van Halen in 84 , Beach Boys in 84 and Barry Manilow in 04 :LOL:

Biggest regret is not seeing Pink Floyd back in 70s or early 80s. Zeppelin too :(

No ticket stubs, but wonderful memories of many great concerts: Bee Gees, Stones, Iron Butterfly, Journey, Canned Heat, Tom Petty, Genesis, Phil Collins, and others. Saw Led Zeppelin when they were unknown, as the opening act for Iron Butterfly. Saw them again a few years later, and had what I thought were great seats. They were something like the 8th row, and for a few days afterward still couldn't hear right. I'm convinced that concert was the reason I now wear hearing aids!

I made these collages decades ago of ticket stubs glued onto wood. I will always keep them but never put them out or on the wall. Some of the prices are unbelievable --like $8.50 for Paul McCartney (my first post with a photo, hope it works...)

Attachments

• IMG_7395.jpg
    IMG_7395.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7394.jpg
    IMG_7394.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 26
Wow - very nice! I wish I would have kept mine. I'm having a hard time remembering the concerts I went to.

Wow - very nice! I wish I would have kept mine. I'm having a hard time remembering the concerts I went to.

I have the stubs; and yet I still have a hard time remembering the concerts I went to. :cool:

The Beatles, Shea Stadium, Aug. 23, 1966.*

This wasn't the wildly famous sold-out Shea concert of 1965, but a year later -- which turned out to be 6 days before the Beatles' final concert ever.

During the 1966 tour there was a "Beatles backlash" due to John''s comment comparing the Beatles to Jesus, which meant that it was ridiculously easy to get tickets; at the Shea concert there were 10,000+ empty seats. (The savvy promoter sold those unused tickets years later for a hefty premium.) I was 19 & working in NYC that summer so of course I went, & it was magical. Could barely hear the music for all the screaming; could barely see the Beatles on the small stage on second base; & it was way too short by today's standards (11 songs). But every single second I was ecstatic.

*Footnote to this concert: exactly 50 years later, to the day, I found myself in Shea Stadium for a Mets game, & the Mets paid tribute to the historic concert. There was a faux-Beatles group in the stands playing snippets of songs between innings & nostalgic photos on the big screen. I honestly hadn't realized the connection when I went to the game, but was delighted to be there -- had tears in my eyes at the sweet memories.

I also have 2 unused tickets to a Beatles concert in Toronto in 1965. I won those in a contest but sadly, couldn't go. Those tickets (still in the Maple Leaf Gardens envelope) are probably much rarer & more valuable than my Shea stub since the 1965 concerts were during the height of the Beatles' popularity; all were sell-outs & i doubt many tickets went unused.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpeg
    IMG_1866.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 9
Seeing Dylan in '65 for $5 is the highlight of my ticket stubs. That was at Orchestra Hall in Chicago when tickets were $5, $4, $3 and $2. Of course, at that time I was making $1.25/hour with my part time job! Now it costs us $30 to park the car when we go downtown..........

We also saw The Kingston Trio; Peter, Paul and Mary, Flatt and Scruggs, Joan Baez and a number of other acoustic groups in that general time period. I think DW has the stubs stashed around here someplace, but I'm not going to chase her down to find them.........

Last edited:
I made these collages decades ago of ticket stubs glued onto wood. I will always keep them but never put them out or on the wall. Some of the prices are unbelievable --like $8.50 for Paul McCartney (my first post with a photo, hope it works...)

I love your displays! I would have loved to see Linda Ronstadt in 1978. One of the best female vocalists of our generation.

Don't have old concert ticket stubs handy. There might be some in one or more of the scrapbooks we've created over the last 50+ years. But my pride and joy of ticket stubs is from the first post-season game since 1945 played at Wrigley Field in 1984. My sister was good friends with Larry Bowa's wife. Larry played SS with the Cubs that year. Larry had already given his playoff tix to someone else but his wife got 4-tix for us from Rhyne Sandberg, the Cubs' 2nd baseman.

Those days...maybe still today...MLB controlled post-season seating. Sandberg's tickets were usually prime seats behind the home dugout but during the playoffs those seats were given to celebrities and politicians...people who, generally, wouldn't be caught dead at a baseball game. So Sandberg's seats were moved to extreme right field. My seat was behind a post! I could see most everything except left-center and second base! I didn't care...I was at Wrigley!! I went nuts when Rick Sutcliffe (starting pitcher) hit a homer over the right field wall onto Sheffield Ave. The Cubs went on to beat San Diego 13-0. The Cubs won game 2 but lost all 3 in San Diego. THAT was a memorable day.

I had saved an editorial cartoon from the Chicago Tribune on the first day of the regular season. That cartoon turned out to be prophetic. When we arrived at Wrigley on playoff day it was a party atmosphere around the ballpark. I shot several rolls of film that day, one frame of a Chicago Mounted Police Officer on his horse. I put my ticket stun, the cartoon and that photo into a frame that sits on proudly on the wall above my desk in our home office. Along with our wedding and my retirement, October 2, 1984 is a day I will cherish and never forget.

sfZ4ZIJl.jpg

iBGgfRyl.jpg

Don't have old concert ticket stubs handy. There might be some in one or more of the scrapbooks we've created over the last 50+ years. But my pride and joy of ticket stubs is from the first post-season game since 1945 played at Wrigley Field in 1984.

My seat was behind a post! I could see most everything except left-center and second base! I didn't care...I was at Wrigley!!

NICE!!

Besides the three World Series games in Phoenix this year, I've been to these postseason games:

Game 3, 1969 ALCS (no ticket stub)

Game-2-1987-Ticket-Stub-lores.jpg

Game-7-1991-Ticket-Stub-lores.jpg

Last edited:
NICE!!

Besides the three World Series games in Phoenix this year, I've been to these postseason games:

Game 3, 1969 ALCS (no ticket stub)

View attachment 48102

View attachment 48103

Very nice, also.

When it looked very good that the Cubs would make the WS in 2016, my wife, my buddy and his wife had pledged to go to one WS game in the American league city and one WS game in Chicago should the Cubs advance...regardless of the cost. Our plans were scuttled when my wife's mother became gravely ill and passed away.

I've been to the MetroDome for two games while on a business trip to Minneapolis. That was my time in a domed statium. I recall thinking how small it looked...until the fly balls started flying. But I'm a traditionalist...baseball should be played in the daytime, on real grass in an open stadium or field.

We now return this thread to it's original purpose.:dance:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I saved stubs but I remember all my concerts. I recently made a complete list in one sitting.

It goes back to 1976, first concert: ZZTop. The Charlie Daniels Band opened.

I have seen several acts again, about 40 years later, including Bob Seger and Styx both of which I saw as warmup acts.

Great memories!

We've seen Alan Jackson and Brooks & Dunn the most. Last saw B&D in Vegas at Ceasars. Would love to see Garth Brooks in Vegas. Our county fair used to attract A-Listers either on their way up...or down.

Overall...Kenny Chesney, Trace Adkins, Tanya Tucker, George Strait, Loretta Lynn (at the Ryman!), Huey Lewis & The News, Iron Butterfly (back in the day), Toby Keith, Helen Reddy, Peter, Paul & Mary, Alabama, Montgomery Gentry, Big & Rich, lots more.

I've seen very few 'big-name big-venue' acts. I prefer smaller, more intimate clubs with great sound systems and respectful audiences, so I can actually experience the sound/talent of the performers, rather than being crammed in with people who just want to be at an 'event' (and talk through most of the show).

But in High School, ~ 1970, I did get to see Steppenwolf at the now defunct Amphitheater. And The Band, Crosby, Still, Nash, and later Santana at a large outdoor theater in NW Illinois burbs. But no ticket stubs.

But in the process of organizing our fast pack up for our move, I sorted out these tickets from the old Amazing Grace in Evanston IL. I'm sure there were more that I didn't save. I hand wrote in the years, if I could find them on-line. I also attended Harry Hope's a lot, but they didn't issue tickets, but I saw many of the acts on some flyers I saved (I need to take pics of those, will upload later if I remember).

Yep, that was Randy Newman, in a smallish place, before he hit it big. Man those were some great concerts!

-ERD50

Attachments

• AmazinGrace_11_ticket_stubs_folk-ish_.jpg
    AmazinGrace_11_ticket_stubs_folk-ish_.jpg
    846.7 KB · Views: 14
  • AmazinGrace_10_ticket_stubs_Jazz-Misc_.jpg
    AmazinGrace_10_ticket_stubs_Jazz-Misc_.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately, with e-tickets or just QR codes today, paper tickets are almost a thing of the past. There's something special about the old fashioned ticket stubs. Sure, can always take a screen grab or download the e-tickets. But somehow not the same feel.

Back
Top Bottom