Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We watched for a while and the coverage was OK. Buy a little goes a long way. I yearn for the daily highlights reel! Rugby 7 is fascinating. Never watched it before.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
I have not had any luck finding any streaming services. What one(s) are you using?
A few options:

- NBC sports App on iPad. This seems to be the most stable option. We stream it to our iPads and then kick it up on the TV via AppleTV. Also gives a limited capability to skip around during recorded events by dragging on the time bar.

- NBC Sports App on AppleTV. It's got limited options, but the quality is very good. Disadvantage is on our ATV there's no way to fast forward or skip around on recorded events.

- NBCsports.com lists all the live running events, along with a whole bunch of recordings and highlight options. Easy access on a computer.

All of those options will give you 30 minutes per day for free, or unlimited access if you have an active account with a cable provider.

Yesterday:
- Men's Basketball vs. Australia
- Beginning of Brazil v. Denmark Soccer
- Men's road cycling time trial
- Most of the Men's individual all around gymnastics

Today I'm planning to watch:
- Women's all around gymnastics (Simone Biles (US) is runaway favorite).
- Swimming finals. Phelps should be in the 200IM final tonight.
- Whatever else is interesting!

S/
Olympics junkie

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We watched for a while and the coverage was OK. Buy a little goes a long way. I yearn for the daily highlights reel! Rugby 7 is fascinating. Never watched it before.
Fiji is really fun to watch in 7s. Too bad they play the US coming up. That's going to be ugly...
Old 08-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #64

I got a chance to watch something interesting the other day. It was pairs of very fit, young men, in tiny speedo bathing suits, showering. Yes, it was nice to watch. They should have had a slow motion option.

They would shower for a bit, then kind of play with some tiny towels, then fist bump each other or go hug other people wearing clothing.

They took turns with other pairs of men taking showers. Everybody in their tiny speedos.

Then they'd climb up to a high platform and jump into the water together, while flexing and spinning. After that they get to shower again, together, in their teeny, tiny speedos.

Yes, I'm enjoying the Olympics!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny, DW seemed to enjoy that event too.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #66

We are watching but I am pissed because for the second time dumb #@# Lester Holt ruined the suspense by announcing the gymnastics winners before NBC had even aired the event. What a bunch of morons!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #67

I just finished watching Fiji win it's first Olympic medal ever - gold in Rugby. They absolutely dominated the field. Too bad NBC didn't show the medal ceremony. That was a true Olympic moment.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Funny, DW seemed to enjoy that event too.
The young wife just wants to know where Tonga is.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife just wants to know where Tonga is.

Obviously she never collected stamps!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #70

USWNT vs Sweden today at 12PM EST.
Plenty of drama:
- team coming off a disappointing 2-2 tie with Columbia.
- coach tried several combinations in the tie, that may have upset the chemistry a bit.
- US previous coach is coaching SWEDEN.
- Invincible US keeper made two large mistakes, leading to two goals.

Prediction:
Lloyd and Heath will play full game and save the day. NJ does it again for the US.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #71

Wow, a lot of negativity. Sure, I can find faults with the coverage, and some the sports are sleepers.

Maybe it is just me, but I've really enjoyed the swimming. Then again, swimming is one of the few things I've ever done semi-competitively, so I have a feel for the accomplishments of these athletes.

Folks: history is being made with Phelps accomplishments. Last night, at 31, he just didn't beat the field in the 200 IM, he Blew Them Away. An incredible accomplishment.

The 200 IM is arguably the ultimate all around test of swimming, and Phelps stands alone at the top ... again.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #72

Is the women's beach volleyball over? When are the Russians on TV again?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Is the women's beach volleyball over? When are the Russians on TV again?
Russians beat team USA yesterday to knock USA out. But this was in a different pool then USA's main team of Walsh Jennings/Ross.

Four years ago, Teams USA won both the gold and silver as USA teams from two different pools advanced to play for the top prize.

I think women's beach volleyball is on tonight.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Russians beat team USA yesterday to knock USA out. But this was in a different pool then USA's main team of Walsh Jennings/Ross.

Four years ago, Teams USA won both the gold and silver as USA teams from two different pools advanced to play for the top prize.

I think women's beach volleyball is on tonight.
Thanks, Easysurfer. Yes, I see it's Spain vs. Russia at 6 PM. Hopefully will be broadcast on NBC.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love watching the Olympics. Athletics and track are my favourite.

Coverage in Canada is great. We have 3 different networks...CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet with a total of 7 or 8 channels/feeds working together as a team to provide coverage. Regardless of which network you are watching, they will let you know what the other providers are showing.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #76

Quote:
Thanks, Easysurfer. Yes, I see it's Spain vs. Russia at 6 PM. Hopefully will be broadcast on NBC.
6PM Eastern? No NBC at that time, but they may sneak it in on one of the numerous other networks.

I've watched some of the minor (for USA) sports on NBCSN and CNBC. BRAVO has been showing a lot of Tennis. NBCSN/CNBC have shown sports like Table Tennis, Water Polo, Fencing, Judo, Boxing, Field Hockey (USA women are doing well) and Handball (a sport very few play in the USA).
Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow, a lot of negativity. Sure, I can find faults with the coverage, and some the sports are sleepers.

Maybe it is just me, but I've really enjoyed the swimming. Then again, swimming is one of the few things I've ever done semi-competitively, so I have a feel for the accomplishments of these athletes.

Folks: history is being made with Phelps accomplishments. Last night, at 31, he just didn't beat the field in the 200 IM, he Blew Them Away. An incredible accomplishment.

The 200 IM is arguably the ultimate all around test of swimming, and Phelps stands alone at the top ... again.
+1 The guy is an absolute beast. He blows away the field in the 200 IM and then less than an hour later is second (by one-one hundredths of a second) in the 100 fly qualifier.

I'm happy he has got his life together after some troubled times. I wonder what is next for him... in any event, it probably will not be golf.... but with the sad performance of the US men yesterday, perhaps he has a chance.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been recording NBC on my DVR for 5 hrs starting at airtime. Then I start watching a few hours in and forward past most of the events I don't have an interest in. Tonight for me of interest is the women's beach volley ball and also to see Katie Ledecky kick some butt in the 800M freestyle swimming.

I think there is more women's beach volleyball competition on tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #79

Last night:

- Women's AA final with Biles and Raisman 1/2 via the stream
- Swimming - all of it via the primetime broadcast
- Men's Volleyball - USA v. Brazil in a very competitive match which the US won.

Today:
- Watching the recorded USA v. Sweden women's soccer quarterfinal
- Hope to catch some of the men's and women's basketball games
- More swimming, including Phelps and Ledecky in finals
- Other fun stuff!

I enjoyed watching the US fencer come back in the quarters against the Italian last weekend even though I know nothing about fencing.

Triathlon this weekend! US women COULD sweep, but should definitely win gold with the incredible Gwen Jorgensen. She is every bit as dominant in the sport of women's international distance triathlon as Simone Biles is in women's artistic gymnastics. Watch for Gwen to hang around on the swim and in the pack on the bike, then just tear everyone apart in the last 5K or so of the run, and then cheer hard for Sarah True to make the podium as well!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
. Tonight for me of interest is the women's beach volley ball and also to see Katie Ledecky kick some butt in the 800M freestyle swimming.
These will be good events. Ledecky is doing really well, even if she is being a bit overshadowed by Phelps.

Also last night Simone Manuel made history as the first African American woman winning gold in an individual event. The swimming community is collectively celebrating this important achievement.