Olympics anyone?

Thanks, Easysurfer. Yes, I see it's Spain vs. Russia at 6 PM. Hopefully will be broadcast on NBC.
6PM Eastern? No NBC at that time, but they may sneak it in on one of the numerous other networks.

I've watched some of the minor (for USA) sports on NBCSN and CNBC. BRAVO has been showing a lot of Tennis. NBCSN/CNBC have shown sports like Table Tennis, Water Polo, Fencing, Judo, Boxing, Field Hockey (USA women are doing well) and Handball (a sport very few play in the USA).

Wow, a lot of negativity. Sure, I can find faults with the coverage, and some the sports are sleepers.

Maybe it is just me, but I've really enjoyed the swimming. Then again, swimming is one of the few things I've ever done semi-competitively, so I have a feel for the accomplishments of these athletes.

Folks: history is being made with Phelps accomplishments. Last night, at 31, he just didn't beat the field in the 200 IM, he Blew Them Away. An incredible accomplishment.

The 200 IM is arguably the ultimate all around test of swimming, and Phelps stands alone at the top ... again.

+1 The guy is an absolute beast. He blows away the field in the 200 IM and then less than an hour later is second (by one-one hundredths of a second) in the 100 fly qualifier.

I'm happy he has got his life together after some troubled times. I wonder what is next for him... in any event, it probably will not be golf.... but with the sad performance of the US men yesterday, perhaps he has a chance.

Thanks, Easysurfer. Yes, I see it's Spain vs. Russia at 6 PM. Hopefully will be broadcast on NBC.

I've been recording NBC on my DVR for 5 hrs starting at airtime. Then I start watching a few hours in and forward past most of the events I don't have an interest in. Tonight for me of interest is the women's beach volley ball and also to see Katie Ledecky kick some butt :) in the 800M freestyle swimming.

I think there is more women's beach volleyball competition on tomorrow afternoon.

Last night:

- Women's AA final with Biles and Raisman 1/2 via the stream
- Swimming - all of it via the primetime broadcast
- Men's Volleyball - USA v. Brazil in a very competitive match which the US won.

Today:
- Watching the recorded USA v. Sweden women's soccer quarterfinal
- Hope to catch some of the men's and women's basketball games
- More swimming, including Phelps and Ledecky in finals
- Other fun stuff!

I enjoyed watching the US fencer come back in the quarters against the Italian last weekend even though I know nothing about fencing.

Triathlon this weekend! US women COULD sweep, but should definitely win gold with the incredible Gwen Jorgensen. She is every bit as dominant in the sport of women's international distance triathlon as Simone Biles is in women's artistic gymnastics. Watch for Gwen to hang around on the swim and in the pack on the bike, then just tear everyone apart in the last 5K or so of the run, and then cheer hard for Sarah True to make the podium as well!

. Tonight for me of interest is the women's beach volley ball and also to see Katie Ledecky kick some butt :) in the 800M freestyle swimming.
These will be good events. Ledecky is doing really well, even if she is being a bit overshadowed by Phelps.

Also last night Simone Manuel made history as the first African American woman winning gold in an individual event. The swimming community is collectively celebrating this important achievement.

+1 The guy is an absolute beast. He blows away the field in the 200 IM and then less than an hour later is second (by one-one hundredths of a second) in the 100 fly qualifier.

Last to second in 50m in that field was incredible. His turns and acceleration off the wall are head and shoulders better than everyone else. I also think that field felt the pressure to go out fast, and a lot of them faded in the final 25 where Phelps stayed in control and let them come back to him a bit.

I was watching weightlifting today followed by ping-pong. What a combination. Hard to believe Ping-Pong is an Olympic sport? :confused:

Come ON... use the correct name...

Table Tennis!!! :LOL:

BTW, what about badminton:confused:

And since we are (at least I am) talking about what is in.... why is equestrian part of the olympics? The horse is doing all the work... I saw a list of the 5 oldest olympic winners and 4 of them are equestrian.... the oldest was shooting...

I've been recording NBC on my DVR for 5 hrs starting at airtime. Then I start watching a few hours in and forward past most of the events I don't have an interest in. Tonight for me of interest is the women's beach volley ball and also to see Katie Ledecky kick some butt :) in the 800M freestyle swimming.

I think there is more women's beach volleyball competition on tomorrow afternoon.

I am dong the same... but I would have liked to watch the soccer but I do not have the channel it is on in my package...

Just saw the result that the USWST did not win... oh well....

Fortunately the NBC Sports channel available through Apple TV with a Comcast account shows a lot of the preliminary rounds of sports in real time, and then available to be watched later. So I'm able to watch any sport I want without the endless filler and human interest stories in the NBC primetime broadcast.

After volunteering at the US Indoor, World Indoor, NCAA Championships and US Olympic Trials for track and field, it's nice to be able to watch the early rounds and all of the multi-event heats. Getting to see the athletes I saw in person is entertaining.

BTW, what about badminton:confused:

I don't think badminton started yet. I think it comes after pin.. table-tennis.

But have you seen Olympic badminton? It is worth a few minutes when it shows up. They are crazy! I have a co-w*rker who is a competitive player and he's always coming into work with various injuries.

I don't think badminton started yet. I think it comes after pin.. table-tennis.

But have you seen Olympic badminton? It is worth a few minutes when it shows up. They are crazy! I have a co-w*rker who is a competitive player and he's always coming into work with various injuries.

I was watching part of a match today... the US guy was beaten...

One of the announcers said something like 300+ mph... I thought that was too much, but who knows...

A lot like badminton, I am fascinated by curling in the winter games. There is a place you can curl here in San Diego. I'm thinking curling and beer could be fun as hell.

Today so far:
- Madison Keys singles semi.
- USWNT loss against Sweden (so tired of listening to Hope Solo. Hope she retires).
- Nadal and Lopez men's doubles final.
- Now: AUS vs. Brazil women's soccer quarter.
- Next: tape delayed beach volleyball and swimming!

300 kph??

More like it, but I still think that is a bit high. More in the low 200k's, but still crazy. My guy at w*rk gets hurt by his partner in doubles (hit by the racket) or by all the jumping they do, turning an ankle. There's real athleticism.

- USWNT loss against Sweden (so tired of listening to Hope Solo. Hope she retires).

The USWNT is the better team, but not today. I couldn't agree with you more regarding Hope Solo. She needs to shut her mouth and quit acting like a sore loser.

Love how the US is kicking butt in swimming and women's gymnastics.

Folks: history is being made with Phelps accomplishments.
With respect for the swimmer's work, I think calling it "history" undercuts the word itself. There was a little real history made in Rio last week - some of it good and some of it bad - but it wasn't Phelps; as good as he is, Phelps isn't marking some change in the nature of our life on earth or even as Americans.

There is so little else on television this summer that our DVR queue is pretty-much empty, so the Olympics are the stop gap. I'm sure some find it entertaining, but I'd not suggest that anyone who's not watching is somehow missing something important.

Somebody needs a hug.

93b431d9915839fb4b3432bdb4210939.jpg

I'm sure some find it entertaining, but I'd not suggest that anyone who's not watching is somehow missing something important.

I would think that most people, myself included, see the Olympics (and sports in general) as simply another form of entertainment....it's no different than watching a movie, going out for dinner, or engaging in whatever hobby they enjoy.

You don't have to watch the Olympics, just like others that don't have to enjoy whatever you find entertaining.

No, I agree; as entertainment there's no question. It's really a matter of what's "history" and more immediately, what's "news".

Isn't this about supporting and appreciating our athletes from what ever country; some comments on here are sounding more like media political commentary:nonono:

+1@ DFW_M5

It's not world history, it's a sporting event. My guess is, when someone says "she made history", they are referring to similar past sporting events, and perhaps even previous celebrations of the same sporting event.

And since we are (at least I am) talking about what is in.... why is equestrian part of the olympics? The horse is doing all the work... I saw a list of the 5 oldest olympic winners and 4 of them are equestrian.... the oldest was shooting...
and in the 5th, the gun is doing the work....

Back
Top Bottom