Olympics anyone?

It's a shame that the games are now over and interest (yours and mine) about what may have happened over a week ago has dwindled. Let's just keep this thread in mind in case there is a thread within which folks again start reacting to comments they don't like in the same way.

Having said that, I read a news article this morning that highlighted another example of the misguided priority on sports as news... how some really terrible things that went on within Brazil itself over the last day were completely drowned out of even Brazilian news by news of the soccer gold medal. And in another article I read this morning, there was a Brazilian quoted expressing heartbreaking fear about how, with the games now over, she will lose the temporary sense of safety she's enjoyed. Of course, what we don't know is how will the cost of the games affect Rio going forward, making her fear all the more troubling.

The good news is that the biggest concerns about Rio - how rapaciously it used public funds desperately needed not just to relieve remarkable economic injustice but to establish some semblance of law and order as well - won't be of concern for the next Olympics in Japan. We can sit back and enjoy the distraction in relative comfort that the host nation didn't bite off more than reasonable prudence would dictate.

You have to look at it in the light of the common people... because it even happens here...

Murder is common in Rio.... it probably does not even make the news unless it is horrific... you could put a story on the news every day...

This is the FIRST time in history that Brazil has won the gold medal... like it or not, that is news... also, there is no way they can win it again until 4 years have passed... someone getting murdered... that will happen tomorrow...

I'm thinking Lochte can get work promoting rehab centers, things of that sort.

BTW, that is the one step Lochte hasn't done yet to get societal forgiveness: got to rehab.

My question would be.... does he need rehab:confused:

If there is not a history of him getting drunk or drugs (I have NO idea) and this is a one off.... then rehab will not do anything IMO...

The one thing that I disagree with is the people who say this is a 'youthful indiscretion'..... REALLY:confused:? He is in his 30s... I think you should be an adult by that age....

If he really wants to 'make it right', he should pay that other swimmers fine AND go down to Brazil and do some community service... for him that would probably only be a few appearances here and there and maybe be in a swim meet or two... I think this would go a long way in fixing the problem that he has....

bfd, the dude got trashed, happens

rehab? that's funny

really bad decision in a third world country though, really bad

If there is not a history of him getting drunk or drugs (I have NO idea) and this is a one off.... then rehab will not do anything IMO...

The one thing that I disagree with is the people who say this is a 'youthful indiscretion'..... REALLY:confused:? He is in his 30s... I think you should be an adult by that age....

I think he has been a party animal for quite some time. Perhaps he can gain more fame, or should I say infamy, if he starts hanging out with Justin Beiber.

The rehab is not for him, it's for his image. That's what all the celebs do when their image is a little tarnished. It has nothing to do with whether the individual actually needs rehab :(

BTW, the Swimmers in this incident are fortunate they did not get shot. I'm glad they didn't. I know several places in the USA where they would have been shot right away.

Though I don't condone vandalism and over exaggerations, gotta feel for the swimmers when they really really had to go :facepalm: but the bathroom was locked.

Rehab is just part of the prescribed ritual when public figures embarrass themselves these days. It's just a PR step, not necessarily intended to produce a change in behavior. His agent will recommend it.

If he really wants to 'make it right', he should pay that other swimmers fine AND go down to Brazil and do some community service... for him that would probably only be a few appearances here and there and maybe be in a swim meet or two... I think this would go a long way in fixing the problem that he has...
Probably more trouble than it would be worth. He's not particularly popular down there right now, and protecting him would be a hassle. Plus, unless he devotes a lot of sweat to the project (i.e. six months setting up a swim program in a favella), it will be rightly seen as a stunt.
Since he's gonna give an exclusive interview or write a book to give his side, flail himself, and provide mea culpas, I'd prefer that he just donate every nickel of the proceeds from those efforts to worthwhile causes in Brazil. And then, most importantly, be a positive example going forward.

FWIW, I think any discussions about the games, readiness, financials and the like were/are fair game... including crime visited on the athletes.... I simply objected to trying to steer the discussion to the overall social ills of the host country.
Or basically shame people who wanted to talk about the competition itself in light of the social ills of the country. Don't think I commented on those specific posts, but I definitely read them and thought that I was essentially being scolded (too strong a word and not personally) for caring about something as petty as Olympic competition when the country of Brazil itself was a mess.

I probably read the wrong tone into the posts, but my perception of them was not as "polite" as buu thought they were.

Last edited:
This is the interwebs, and it is easy to read some snark or hidden meaning or intent that really isn't there. That's less of a problem for us at E Forum - we're among friends. :)

This is the interwebs, and it is easy to read some snark or hidden meaning or intent that really isn't there. That's less of a problem for us at E Forum - we're among friends. :)

Agreed! That's why I refrained from comment (I think?). Other forums I read I have a tendency to assume a fight is being picked. I don't have that here, and I like that and hope to keep it that way!

....I think in a discussion about the Olympics we should be discussing the crime visited on athletes and spectators, and the conditions of the residents of Rio, and the impact on the economy for decades to come, more so than the "games", but if no one else finds that stuff important enough then so be it. I concede to the majority's force of will.

It's a shame that the games are now over and interest (yours and mine) about what may have happened over a week ago has dwindled. Let's just keep this thread in mind in case there is a thread within which folks again start reacting to comments they don't like in the same way.

Having said that, I read a news article this morning that highlighted another example of the misguided priority on sports as news... how some really terrible things that went on within Brazil itself over the last day were completely drowned out of even Brazilian news by news of the soccer gold medal. And in another article I read this morning, there was a Brazilian quoted expressing heartbreaking fear about how, with the games now over, she will lose the temporary sense of safety she's enjoyed. Of course, what we don't know is how will the cost of the games affect Rio going forward, making her fear all the more troubling.

The good news is that the biggest concerns about Rio - how rapaciously it used public funds desperately needed not just to relieve remarkable economic injustice but to establish some semblance of law and order as well - won't be of concern for the next Olympics in Japan. We can sit back and enjoy the distraction in relative comfort that the host nation didn't bite off more than reasonable prudence would dictate.

Changed your mind I guess? :banghead::horse:

The rehab is not for him, it's for his image. That's what all the celebs do when their image is a little tarnished. It has nothing to do with whether the individual actually needs rehab :(

BTW, the Swimmers in this incident are fortunate they did not get shot. I'm glad they didn't. I know several places in the USA where they would have been shot right away.
Where, specifically, for being drunk and causing a bit of damage? And by security guards?

Uh, we're getting a bit off topic here.. :)

regarding the upcoming winter olympics, how does one pronounce the name of the town the in which games will be held?

Whether it was robbery or not fall into the category of things that happened to the Olympic athletes, which you will see that in a prior post (below) I said that I thought was fair game... so posts on the competition or what happened to athletes or even fans is fair game... what I was referring to was bUU expanding the scope of the thread to Brazil's social ills.

FWIW, I think any discussions about the games, readiness, financials and the like were/are fair game... including crime visited on the athletes.... I simply objected to trying to steer the discussion to the overall social ills of the host country.

Last edited:
so posts on the competition or what happened to athletes or even fans is fair game...
But not how hosting the games affects Brazil and Brazilians. Thanks for making your personal perspective on that clear. Let's just keep in mind for future threads that we all have our own perspective on what is "fair game" in the context of a discussion, and so if someone considers something is "fair game" but you do not, perhaps just ignore those comments. Thanks.

Do we need a group hug?

thumb.php

If you guys want to continue to squabble, you should probably just PM each other. The rest of us don't care.

Back
Top Bottom