Olympics anyone?

DW and I have been really enjoying the Olympics. At least these days the folks who are not interested have many other TV channels to watch.

For myself I am attempting to excel in 4 different disciplines; sitting, watching, eating and drinking.

DW and I have been really enjoying the Olympics. At least these days the folks who are not interested have many other TV channels to watch.

For myself I am attempting to excel in 4 different disciplines; sitting, watching, eating and drinking.

The four different disciplines. Nice :D.

I watched a Katie Ledecky press conference on my streaming device last night. For 19, she is beyond her years as she handles herself really well.

She mentioned that the next step is going away to college this year to Stanford. During the conference, the second most surprising thing was when she mentioned that she doesn't know her future roommate yet as in Stanford you don't know who your roommate is until the day you move in the dorm (which she just found out the dorm she'd be staying in). The most surprising thing was when a reporter asked her which dorm? :facepalm: Smartly she said she'd rather not say for privacy concerns.

With respect for the swimmer's work, I think calling it "history" undercuts the word itself. There was a little real history made in Rio last week - some of it good and some of it bad - but it wasn't Phelps; as good as he is, Phelps isn't marking some change in the nature of our life on earth or even as Americans.

There is so little else on television this summer that our DVR queue is pretty-much empty, so the Olympics are the stop gap. I'm sure some find it entertaining, but I'd not suggest that anyone who's not watching is somehow missing something important.

Well, let's see.... from dictionary . com....

1. the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

Seems kinda like your definition of history is way down the list....

6. acts, ideas, or events that will or can shape the course of the future; immediate but significant happenings:

So, I will go with #1 and say that history is being made. Heck, even #2, 3 and 4 and I can even argue #5 supports my view....

:)

If that is a medley event I'm going for the last two, where I have plenty of practice. Not so good at the first two, although you'd never know it by listening to DW. :)

The Brazil - Colombia football match last night was good. For a while I thought they would fight on the pitch, and late in the 1st half Colombia had a show of poor sportsmanship that is not often seen - they kept possession after the ball had been kicked out to stop play to attend am injured player.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics thus far. Virtually all events are being streamed live on the NBC Olympics website in the US. It has been great watching events live such as gymnastics and diving. You get to see a lot more athletes, not just the very best, and not just Americans--which is what we usually are shown in the US. Many of the video streams have no commentary those that do usually have different commentators from NBC's primetime broadcasts. Most streaming commentators seem to be British or Australian.

I've also watched some events I had never seen before, such as team handball, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Many of the tennis matches have been wonderful, and the atmosphere at some of them, such as yesterday's Nadal - Del Potro match, has been more reminiscent of a soccer match than a tennis match. Lots of chanting by fans and flag waving.

My vote for the single most impressive effort so far is Kristin Armstrong winning her 3rd consecutive Olympic cycling time trial gold medal, a day before her 43rd birthday. Simply astounding.

I saw an interesting table on my Bloomberg that showed the number of medals per population and GDP. On both measures the US doesn't do very well. Best results were from Australia, New Zealand, and Hungary? Go figure.

I'm really not into sports at all, but I do tend to pay some attention to sports during the Olympics. It's on, it's in the news, it's different from the usual stuff, so it grabs my attention.

And I enjoy some of it. It sometimes makes me think I should watch these events more often, as I'd develop a better eye and understanding and appreciation of the sport.

That said, I find many of the events just so one dimensional, and that just does not hold my interest. Yes, I can be amazed at the level of athletics and focus and discipline, but it just won't hold my interest.

Swimming, and running in a single lane for example - no real interaction with the other competitors, and very controlled conditions. They don't have to contend with any variables at all, it is a controlled environment. Boring to me. But at least with a 100M dash, they can replay the entire event 3 or 4 times, you don't miss anything if you are a a fan!

I got a kick out of the rowers - one of them just sits there! I could do that! :LOL: OK, I suppose they play a role as co-coordinator and cheerleader, but really?

On the other end of that scale for me, is beach volleyball. Two players on a side - they are involved in every play, and often two times in a play, and often more than twice per point. There is an element of randomness, but just enough to add excitement. The scores are high enough that the randomness evens out and the skill will overcome that (I don't feel that way about sports like soccer/Euro-football or hockey). The reaction time, the skill to handle the ball under all those conditions. I get totally involved watching a good match.

And of course, in women's beach volleyball, there is the bonus of seeing tall, fit, talented women in bikinis. Some of them could probably be fashion models as well (do a search on Swiss player Anouk Vergé-Dépré for example), That's a tough combo to beat! Looking forward to Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross versus Australia's Bawden/Clancy tonight, 10PM Central time.

-ERD50

And of course, in women's beach volleyball, there is the bonus of seeing tall, fit, talented women in bikinis. Some of them could probably be fashion models as well (do a search on Swiss player Anouk Vergé-Dépré for example), That's a tough combo to beat! Looking forward to Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross versus Australia's Bawden/Clancy tonight, 10PM Central time.

-ERD50

I don't want to burst your bubble, but there's a good chance the beach volleyball players will cover up. Well, at least partially as it is winter now in Rio and Walsh Jennings/Ross were playing the late night games. So, looks like might have to actually look at the score :LOL:. Kidding aside, there is a lot of drama like will Walsh Jennings lose her first match? Mind boggling that she is undefeated. Ross is a great player in her own right only having lost one match in her career and that was to Walsh/May last time for the gold.

The Olympics is a great, happy distraction from the news coverage of the regular chaos in the world. I enjoyed watching the 10K men's track last night where the favored running got tangle up and fell, but popped right back up then in the end he still manage to blow past the guy leading and won.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but there's a good chance the beach volleyball players will cover up. Well, at least partially as it is winter now in Rio and Walsh Jennings/Ross were playing the late night games. So, looks like might have to actually look at the score :LOL:. Kidding aside, there is a lot of drama like will Walsh Jennings lose her first match? Mind boggling that she is undefeated. Ross is a great player in her own right only having lost one match in her career and that was to Walsh/May last time for the gold. ...

Yes, Walsh & Ross 'covered up' in their game against Italy. Italy added top and bottom coverings - USA added only the tops. Regardless, that's just an added bonus, and I've already seen plenty of their skin this season - I'll happily watch for the sports talent. And the backstory/drama does add to it, though sometimes I think these stories get overdone. But Walsh & Ross have incredible records, and Walsh is now mother of three, and 37 years old? That's not ancient, but for such a physical sport it adds some amazement to it all.

The Olympics is a great, happy distraction from the news coverage of the regular chaos in the world. I enjoyed watching the 10K men's track last night where the favored running got tangle up and fell, but popped right back up then in the end he still manage to blow past the guy leading and won.

Yes, I saw that too. That was pretty exciting. At such a competitive level, I'd think a trip/fall would just hamper a runner too much, and it was ironic that he stays in the back much of the race just to avoid those problems. So in this case, though I consider track much less complicated than something like volleyball, there is interaction and some strategy in dealing with the other runners, and this guy prevailed even with that slip (something you at least have a chance for in a longer race like that). That's something you don't get in a dash or swimming in a lane.

-ERD50

With respect for the swimmer's work, I think calling it "history" undercuts the word itself. There was a little real history made in Rio last week - some of it good and some of it bad - but it wasn't Phelps; as good as he is, Phelps isn't marking some change in the nature of our life on earth or even as Americans.

There is so little else on television this summer that our DVR queue is pretty-much empty, so the Olympics are the stop gap. I'm sure some find it entertaining, but I'd not suggest that anyone who's not watching is somehow missing something important.

Geez, bUU. Sorry to offend the word police.

Will you accept SPORTS HISTORY? That was my point. Geez.

The four different disciplines. Nice :D.

I watched a Katie Ledecky press conference on my streaming device last night. For 19, she is beyond her years as she handles herself really well.

She mentioned that the next step is going away to college this year to Stanford. During the conference, the second most surprising thing was when she mentioned that she doesn't know her future roommate yet as in Stanford you don't know who your roommate is until the day you move in the dorm (which she just found out the dorm she'd be staying in). The most surprising thing was when a reporter asked her which dorm? :facepalm: Smartly she said she'd rather not say for privacy concerns.

Her roommate will be a lucky young lady. And unless you specifically request it, you don't know your college dorm roommates before you move in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I saw an interesting table on my Bloomberg that showed the number of medals per population and GDP. On both measures the US doesn't do very well. Best results were from Australia, New Zealand, and Hungary? Go figure.

Hungary is definitely doing well in many events. Good for them!

I got a kick out of the rowers - one of them just sits there! I could do that! :LOL: OK, I suppose they play a role as co-coordinator and cheerleader, but really?
I've never been a coxswain, but somehow I think the job is more complex than it looks. :)

Enjoyed watching Men's 8s yesterday where the first two boats tied in time, but the photo finish showed one winning by 2cm. Wow. 2cm after 2000m. What a bummer. Last I heard Croatia (2nd place) has put in a formal protest of the results.

Last edited:

Have not see the table, but I bet Hungary is due to that lady swimmer...

I know that Australia and NZ started a sport emphasis a few decades ago when they did very poorly in the Olympics... it seems to have paid off well...

Yes, Walsh & Ross 'covered up' in their game against Italy. Italy added top and bottom coverings - USA added only the tops. Regardless, that's just an added bonus, and I've already seen plenty of their skin this season - I'll happily watch for the sports talent. And the backstory/drama does add to it, though sometimes I think these stories get overdone. But Walsh & Ross have incredible records, and Walsh is now mother of three, and 37 years old? That's not ancient, but for such a physical sport it adds some amazement to it all.

Yes, I saw that too. That was pretty exciting. At such a competitive level, I'd think a trip/fall would just hamper a runner too much, and it was ironic that he stays in the back much of the race just to avoid those problems. So in this case, though I consider track much less complicated than something like volleyball, there is interaction and some strategy in dealing with the other runners, and this guy prevailed even with that slip (something you at least have a chance for in a longer race like that). That's something you don't get in a dash or swimming in a lane.

-ERD50

There was a good article the other day about the beach volleyball attire. I had thought attire was for a fashion statement as in "more skin mandated to ratings" but that is not the case. The choice is up to the players and most of the time, the women are playing in hot weather so bikini is the way to go. Which makes sense as I bet Walsh/Ross don't find the sport pants comfortable as maybe just bit of restriction can mean the difference of a point or two which adds up. Just my theory. Oh, and the article said men can't go bare on top because they need an identifiable number for the refs.

The irony of Farrah (the men's 10K) tripping and falling was he got bumped by his running/training partner :facepalm:.

Her roommate will be a lucky young lady. And unless you specifically request it, you don't know your college dorm roommates before you move in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Will be interesting for sure for her future roommate.

I always thought the colleges gave you the name/town of your future roommate ahead of time. So you can, back in the old days get in touch to say "I'm bringing a stereo". :)

Oh, and the article said men can't go bare on top because they need an identifiable number for the refs.

Yes I can see where it would be very hard to keep track of the two guys out there in that little sand pit. Many have the track athletes have numbers and/or writing on their bottoms. I vote for 'Thing 1' and 'Thing 2'. :)

She mentioned that the next step is going away to college this year to Stanford.

It was also stated that she is giving up millions in endorsements as Harvard does not allow any endorsements at all for their students. I have nothing against the "college experience", but to give up a chance to be set for life financially just to go to college is not something that I would ever consider.

At the very least, she could have picked a college where they don't have such rules.

It was also stated that she is giving up millions in endorsements as Harvard does not allow any endorsements at all for their students. I have nothing against the "college experience", but to give up a chance to be set for life financially just to go to college is not something that I would ever consider.

At the very least, she could have picked a college where they don't have such rules.
She's not going to Harvard, she's going to Stanford. And it's not the school disallowing the endorsements, it's the NCAA. The NCAA is still an (mostly) amateur athletic association. They don't allow football and basketball players to be paid, nor do they allow swimmers. Endorsements are considered a type of pay.

She will attend Stanford with a full athletic scholarship. The "no endorsements" rule is probably imposed by the NCAA, which wants to ensure that any money generated by a member athlete is distributed between the two athletic organizations and no one else. Allowing her to earn would be a bad precedent for them.

I think this choice shows she has condifence in herself and her ability to generate future income. If, 20 years from now, Michael Phelps is now broke and marginally employed, while Ledecky has used her education to propel her to a successful professional career, we will collectively congratulate her for making the hard choice.

The irony of Farrah (the men's 10K) tripping and falling was he got bumped by his running/training partner :facepalm:.

After he got up and continuing running his running partner dropped back to see how he was doing and you could see them talking to one another. I would have loved to hear that conversation.

Fortunately Mo still went on to win.

After he got up and continuing running his running partner dropped back to see how he was doing and you could see them talking to one another. I would have loved to hear that conversation.

Fortunately Mo still went on to win.

Makes me wonder why accidental bumping doesn't happen more often as they were so bunched together.

Makes me wonder why accidental bumping doesn't happen more often as they were so bunched together.

It does happen a lot. The commentators listed a whole load of runners who had fallen and gone onto win their race.

One of the highest profile falls ever was Mary Decker in the 1984 Olympics 3k race where neither the tripper or trippee won a medal.

It does happen a lot. The commentators listed a whole load of runners who had fallen and gone onto win their race.

One of the highest profile falls ever was Mary Decker in the 1984 Olympics 3k race where neither the tripper or trippee won a medal.

Didn't Mary Decker have a huge lead at the time of the fall?

Back
Top Bottom