Olympics anyone?

What's the final main competitive event of the Olympics? The men's marathon? One of my first Olympic memories as a kid was watching Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon (along with Mark Spitz of swimming, who at the time media was questioning, "Would his number of medals ever be topped" :LOL:) Watched last night where the guy from USA won the decathlon for back to back Olympics but seems there really isn't much media interest of this event like in days past.

What's the final main competitive event of the Olympics? The men's marathon? One of my first Olympic memories as a kid was watching Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon (along with Mark Spitz of swimming, who at the time media was questioning, "Would his number of medals ever be topped" :LOL:) Watched last night where the guy from USA won the decathlon for back to back Olympics but seems there really isn't much media interest of this event like in days past.

It's the US men's swimming team "Escape from Brazil" event. Lochte is sure to get the gold for that.

There's a lot of wrestling and boxing on Sunday, as well as the men's basketball and volleyball finals and a few other events.

Jenner was hyped for the decathlon and delivered so maybe that's why it was a big deal. A few Olympics later we had "Dan and Dave" hyped heavily, and then one failed to make the Olympics (though did win the next one), and the other only got bronze. That may have taken something out of it. I don't know, doing those 10 events well is an incredible feat.

It's the US men's swimming team "Escape from Brazil" event. Lochte is sure to get the gold for that.

There's a lot of wrestling and boxing on Sunday, as well as the men's basketball and volleyball finals and a few other events.

Jenner was hyped for the decathlon and delivered so maybe that's why it was a big deal. A few Olympics later we had "Dan and Dave" hyped heavily, and then one failed to make the Olympics (though did win the next one), and the other only got bronze. That may have taken something out of it. I don't know, doing those 10 events well is an incredible feat.

"Escape from Brazil"... haha. Upon stopping Lochte at that gas station, he probably asked the security guy "You know who I am?" and the guard said "Well, you're definitely not Michael Phelps" and that might have set him off :LOL:.

Though I'm not a Lochte fan, I can see why looking at the footage that his interpretation (maybe to strong of a word) was that they got robbed. I think having a gun pulled on you, plus being out partying all night can mess with your recollection big time. Watching the footage, if someone said, "This is footage of a robbery..." I'd be convinced enough.

Thanks for the info about the scheduling. I forgot all about "Dan and Dave".

Last edited:
The Lochte story is breaking finally. What morons. It seemed obvious they were lying but couldn't figure out why. ...

+1 What a moron.

What I don't understand is why they felt a need to say anything at all.... they paid the owner off for their shenanigans so he didn't care so why not just stay mum... and if it ever did come up just say like... yeah, we went of drinking to celebrate and celebrated too much, did some stupid sophomoric things and got caught, worked it out with the owner and that is all we are going to say about it because we are embarrassed at our stupidity. End of story.

+1 What a moron.

What I don't understand is why they felt a need to say anything at all.... they paid the owner off for their shenanigans so he didn't care so why not just stay mum... and if it ever did come up just say like... yeah, we went of drinking to celebrate and celebrated too much, did some stupid sophomoric things and got caught, worked it out with the owner and that is all we are going to say about it because we are embarrassed at our stupidity. End of story.

Actually, I think he actually told his mom that he got robbed. Then she mentioned that to the press or on social media which started the ball rolling unintentionally.

Last edited:
Thanks. My consternation is mostly about the double-standard. As we see in the last few messages right above this one, talking about matters beyond the games themselves is okay when those comments are made by some posters, but when I had some comments about crime visited on athletes it wasn't okay. I'm eminently polite about it, so it seems like it is the specific side of the issue that I take that makes my comments off-topic.

FWIW, I think any discussions about the games, readiness, financials and the like were/are fair game... including crime visited on the athletes.... I simply objected to trying to steer the discussion to the overall social ills of the host country.

It's not the first time Olympic 'stuff' has happened; Dawnie had her moments:

She was accused of stealing an Olympic flag from a flagpole outside Emperor Hirohito's palace from the Kōkyo. She was arrested but released without charge. In the end she was given the flag as a souvenir. However, the Australian Swimming Union suspended her for 10 years. They relented a few months before the 1968 Games but by then it was too late for Fraser, at 31, to prepare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Fraser

I actually agree with this assessment about the Lochte incident:

Ostrow said casting Lochte as the villain in the incident — someone who distorted or fabricated what took place in the alleged robbery — fails to account for two perspectives based on the surveillance video.

“I think that there’s two ways you can look at it,’’ Ostrow said. “You can look at that my client and the other swimmers are in another country being yelled at in Portuguese with a gun pointed at them, and the gun was pointed right at Ryan. And that when they’re being told to give up their money in another language with a hand signal 'money,' that looks like a robbery."Whether it was warranted from the side of Brazilians or not, that’s robbery. From my client’s respect, that’s what happened."

“From (the Brazilians’) respect, I can see that would be turned to, ‘No, we were just telling him don’t leave and pay us because we think you all did some damage.’ It could be interpreted both ways, and it’s not fair for people to jump to conclusions that it was one way or another.

“All we know for sure is the account that Ryan gave and the swimmers gave, that they were held at gunpoint, was supported by that video and they were forced to give up money."
Lawyer: Ryan Lochte did not lie about robbery at gunpoint

Not that the swimmers weren't totally innocent and didn't do any vandalizing.

This might be a situation as he has a record of partying, so when he might be a victim of sorts, his credibility is in question. Two parties can come of to different conclusions on what took place. That happens all the time.

I actually agree with this assessment about the Lochte incident:

Lawyer: Ryan Lochte did not lie about robbery at gunpoint

Not that the swimmers weren't totally innocent and didn't do any vandalizing.

This might be a situation as he has a record of partying, so when he might be a victim of sorts, his credibility is in question. Two parties can come of to different conclusions on what took place. That happens all the time.

He was drunk and did damage. Only Lochte and his lawyer aren't admitting that. Even his teammates who were there said he did.

He was drunk and did damage. Only Lochte and his lawyer aren't admitting that. Even his teammates who were there said he did.

True. The lawyer spin to put the client in a better light.

Did watch the morning news saying that a future suspension for Lochte from the US Olympic committee might be in order.

Brazil! Olympic football gold medal! What an enjoyable match.

Interesting article on him a week or two ago. Biomechanically analyzing his style, it seems that he's not actually faster than his competition, he just slows down toward the end much more gradually than anyone else.
Watched the sprints yesterday with this in mind. :) Not easy to appreciate, but clear in some cases.

Last edited:
Just watched the end of the men's marathon. Nice run.

Thanks. My consternation is mostly about the double-standard. As we see in the last few messages right above this one, talking about matters beyond the games themselves is okay when those comments are made by some posters, but when I had some comments about crime visited on athletes it wasn't okay. I'm eminently polite about it, so it seems like it is the specific side of the issue that I take that makes my comments off-topic.

Well, I will now say that this thread had gone both ways... at first it did seem to be only about the sports... but as you say it has now turned into a discussion about was it robbery or not...

So, post away....

The problem is urinating in public and vandalism. About 20 years ago we had a county judge lose his job over urinating in the bushes.

What's the final main competitive event of the Olympics? The men's marathon?

The Marathon is the final track and field event. It starts in the morning (cool weather). It is done right now and the results were satisfying. Watch the finish for the 3rd American. Funny and classy.

There's a slew of other events. Mountain bike finished. Then there are the rest of the main team sports with their final today. The women were yesterday, men today. Yesterday's jewel event was men's football (an exciting shootout between Brazil and Germany). Today's events are men's volleyball, handball and basketball.

Men's basketball basically ends the Olympics. It has wide world appeal and will be prime time in Europe.

Well, I will now say that this thread had gone both ways... at first it did seem to be only about the sports... but as you say it has now turned into a discussion about was it robbery or not...

So, post away....

Problems in Rio, with the Olympic site selection process, or, for that matter, societal ills in general are perfectly legitimate topics, except for detracting from the athletes and competition, and, well, for guaranteeing Porky gets the gold...

Well, I will now say that this thread had gone both ways... at first it did seem to be only about the sports... but as you say it has now turned into a discussion about was it robbery or not... So, post away....
It's a shame that the games are now over and interest (yours and mine) about what may have happened over a week ago has dwindled. Let's just keep this thread in mind in case there is a thread within which folks again start reacting to comments they don't like in the same way.

Having said that, I read a news article this morning that highlighted another example of the misguided priority on sports as news... how some really terrible things that went on within Brazil itself over the last day were completely drowned out of even Brazilian news by news of the soccer gold medal. And in another article I read this morning, there was a Brazilian quoted expressing heartbreaking fear about how, with the games now over, she will lose the temporary sense of safety she's enjoyed. Of course, what we don't know is how will the cost of the games affect Rio going forward, making her fear all the more troubling.

The good news is that the biggest concerns about Rio - how rapaciously it used public funds desperately needed not just to relieve remarkable economic injustice but to establish some semblance of law and order as well - won't be of concern for the next Olympics in Japan. We can sit back and enjoy the distraction in relative comfort that the host nation didn't bite off more than reasonable prudence would dictate.

Let's just keep this thread in mind in case there is a thread within which folks again start reacting to comments they don't like in the same way.

If you've been on here long enough, you will know that is wishful thinking, and there will always be mild to strong reaction if someone doesn't agree with you.

Now, I am just waiting for REWahoo to disagree with this post:D

2016 was a very fun Olympics to watch.

I'm ready for 2020 in Tokyo. Who would've thunk that Japan's prime minister is Super Mario all along :D.

Last edited:
did anyone see this yesterday? I couldn't believe it. Other than this guy has the worst haircut I've ever seen I can't believe we had a mike tyson out there biting people.

Speedo just dropped sponsorship of Lochte.

U.S. swimmer and six-time gold medalist Ryan Lochte was set to receive a hero’s welcome after a strong performance at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil. Instead, the 32-year-old may have permanently damaged his value as a corporate endorser amid accusations that he lied about being robbed at gunpoint in Rio.

Lochte’s endorsement deals with sponsors Ralph Lauren, Speedo and Airweave are worth an estimated $1 million annually, according to ESPN. At 32, Lochte is likely nearing the end of his international swimming career. His involvement in an embarrassing international incident raises serious questions as to whether he’ll continue to compete for USA Swimming – and whether major corporate brands will risk associating with a declining, disgraced athlete.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/08/19/ryan-lochtes-brand-value-sinks-amid-rio-scandal.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom