Join Early Retirement Today

One Man's Cheap is Another's Frugal
Old 07-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One Man's Cheap is Another's Frugal

Quote:
We all have spending pet peeves. Things we hate spending money on, even if they are relatively inexpensive compared with a lot of other items we buy. Well here’s an extreme example.

LeBron James, who recently led his Cleveland Cavalier team to the NBA championship, is the highest paid player in the league. Yet he hates paying for data overage charges on his cellphone — according to James’s close friend and one-time teammate Dwyane Wade.

When asked by TV talk show host Kelly Ripa who the cheapest player he knows is, Wade immediately said: “LeBron.”
LeBron James made $71 million last year, but hates paying data roaming charges - MarketWatch

I actually kind of agree with Lebron. Depsite him making all that cash, who wants to get screwed hit with outlandish cellphone charges?

That's funny about him needing to send the text to avoid possible no wifi.

Which kinda begs the question, what spending pet peeve do you have? One that comes to mind is getting socked with ATM fees if I don't withdraw from a bank in my bank's network.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One: Unnecessarily paying for parking. We'll take the free downtown circulating bus that primarily is used by tourists, then walk several blocks to an expensive restaurant--enables us to use my employer-paid parking garage and avoid valets in busy part of town.

Two: Paying too much for clothes. My workout shirts all come from second-hand shops.

Three: Paying for convenience in drinking water. We keep empty water bottles purchased by friends, then refill them from the tap as needed to keep our fridge stocked.

That's enough for now.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'll add another peeve is paying for the "convenience fee" on concert tickets. Pretty just an excuse to place a surcharge.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post

Paying for convenience in drinking water. We keep empty water bottles purchased by friends, then refill them from the tap as needed to keep our fridge stocked.

That's enough for now.
The water in our town is very hard. I just go to the local market and fill up my gallon bottles for 30 cents. I looked into getting water delivered and it is expensive. Besides, I am retired and it gives me something to do.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The water in our town is very hard. I just go to the local market and fill up my gallon bottles for 30 cents. I looked into getting water delivered and it is expensive. Besides, I am retired and it gives me something to do.
Down in SoCal we fill gallon jugs with better tasting water for 25-30 cents. Up in Oregon I haul gallon jugs to a town 20 minutes away and fill them from the spigot at our apartments - much better tasting than the tap water in our home town.

What really gripes me? 6 units of water in the middle of the freaking desert, La Quinta Ca, costs us $13.06. 6 units of water in Oregon, 3 blocks from the river, in no kind of desert, is $50.32 - $105.25 when they add in storm drains and sewer.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'll add another peeve is paying for the "convenience fee" on concert tickets. Pretty just an excuse to place a surcharge.
Amen!! I went to see a play on Broadway last January and got hit with a 9 dollar 9-11 fee. Seriously??

I'm weird with clothes, I'll drop a wad of cash of a luxury bag but absolutely will not pay 50 bucks for jeans.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post

I'm weird with clothes, I'll drop a wad of cash of a luxury bag but absolutely will not pay 50 bucks for jeans.
Yeah, I disclosed my second-hand running shirts, and I get my jeans at walmart. But, neither of those makes up for the nice brooks brothers suits that are my work uniform....

We are all weird in some ways; part of being human.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Same here except I pay 39 cents per gallon. The store is .4 miles away so it's a good way to get a walk in.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #9

I have to pay a resort fee when I stay in a hotel in Nevada that has a spa. You know where you can get a massage. Which I always do and I have to pay for that too. With a tip of course.

It's just a way to get the "well heeled" to pay extra. It's about $10 a day.

I don't mind, I'm "well heeled" and like to be rubbed. Really, charge me extra please, help me blow some dough -

There is not much that gets me peeved anymore, I'm pretty happy.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Which kinda begs the question, what spending pet peeve do you have?
Not many (or any) that I can think of except tipping. Good service and I'll tip "very well" sometimes 30+% of the bill. Poor service can be as little as zero.

Quote:
One that comes to mind is getting socked with ATM fees if I don't withdraw from a bank in my bank's network.
I don't like that either, that's why I use Schwab checking. 100% of my ATM fees are reimbursed each month.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #11

paying for wireless in a hotel? seriously what a joke - every time I stay in one of those I chew out the front desk
Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
This. +2 Besides, there's nothing convenient about it. Even when buying directly from the theater, where the charge is a "facility fee".
Old 07-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
paying for wireless in a hotel? seriously what a joke - every time I stay in one of those I chew out the front desk
Yeah - I think having to pay for wifi at a hotel annoys me and I won't do it. Many waive it for members - so I do that for major chains. In most cases I have cell reception and use that anyway instead because the hotel's wifi is too slow and has repeated annoying logins. Our cellphone plans allow tethering.

Verizon's phone plans annoyed me. I'm not with them anymore.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We are frugal all around. That's how we could ER.

We have been more generous with others than with ourselves. I am working to change that.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #15

High property and ad valorem taxes are my pet peeve.

I had a co-worker in Racine, Wisconsin with a 1930's craftsman house of 1,100 square feet on a 45 foot lot, and her property taxes are $5,500 per year. No wonder most of our ex-coworkers at MegaCorp lived in Illinois.

My Alabama property taxes are $0 because my wife was on Social Security disability. And sales taxes on automobiles and boats are 2.25%. State income taxes on defined pensions and Social Security are 0%.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I had a co-worker in Racine, Wisconsin with a 1930's craftsman house of 1,100 square feet on a 45 foot lot, and her property taxes are $5,500 per year. No wonder most of our ex-coworkers at MegaCorp lived in Illinois.

Gulp.... As a former resident of Illinois (granted, on the other end of the state), I shudder to think of a state taxing so much that anyone would choose to live in Illinois for that reason! Tennessee residents complain about sales taxes--but they are essentially the same as those of Illinois, and everything else was much higher there.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have to pay a resort fee when I stay in a hotel in Nevada that has a spa. You know where you can get a massage. Which I always do and I have to pay for that too. With a tip of course.

It's just a way to get the "well heeled" to pay extra. It's about $10 a day.

I don't mind, I'm "well heeled" and like to be rubbed. Really, charge me extra please, help me blow some dough -

There is not much that gets me peeved anymore, I'm pretty happy.

Robbie, $10 a day resort fee? Where are you staying at, a Nevada hostel? I thought you like to spend money! I was at Palazzo in Vegas last weekend and had to pay a $33 daily resort fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've noticed that many of the items at the 99 Cents Only store or Grocery Outlet are always priced the same or less than the sale prices at Safeway for the same brand, same size items.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We had a 99 cents store close up in our town. Don't know why as they were always busy.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

How long have they been 99c stores? Since 10 or 15 years ago? Them poor stores got eaten alive by inflation.