Online purchase question

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I am interested in purchasing a used kayak from a private party several states away. If I pay his price, he will pay to ship.

Any ideas on handling the money part? This is several hundred dollars and it makes me a bit nervouse to just send him the money.

Paypal. That way you can use your credit card via Paypal and get them involved if there is a problem.

Paypal. That way you can use your credit card via Paypal and get them involved if there is a problem.
Ditto, PayPal is the way to go IMHO...

Ask if he'll take cash on delivery? Worth a shot...

What KB said. PayPal would much rather suck the money from your checking account and they make it hard to use a credit card, but it's your best recourse if something goes bad.

A couple years ago I had an eBay seller stiff me on a $1200 purchase*, but since I'd paid with a credit card through PayPal I was made whole within the month.

*Hey, Google, Randy Winegar used eBay to steal my money!

Martha,

Be sure you're saving substantial bux and getting exactly what you want in your used boat transaction. Based on reading zillions of your posts, I'd assume this wouldn't happen to you....... but I've seen folks accept a model that isn't exactly exactly what they want or have the boat damaged in shipping resulting in complications or have the boat not be in as good of condition as claimed when buying used from a distant seller. So, before buying from a stranger located far away, be sure the risk is being offset by big time savings.

Also, be sure you chat at length with the seller on the phone and feel confident after the conversation he/she is trustworthy. Email exchanges don't cut it.

If you're only saving 30% - 40% vs new list price, remember that Canoecopia (in Madison, Wis) is only a few months away and there are usually nice deals to be had there. Plus lots of great seminars, classes and product reviews to attend.

We bought one kayak (a Hobie) at the Chicago Boat and RV show and got a great price. We bought another at Bass Pro Shop (an Ocean Kayak) on sale. The third (a Dagger) we bought used at a garage sale.

Good points Youbet. I am bummed that I will be in Texas in March during Canoecopia.

Good points Youbet. I am bummed that I will be in Texas in March during Canoecopia.

I'm bummed I'm not in Texas right now! We're having serious winter already in Chicago.

We spent extended Xmas holidays the past two years on Lake LBJ chasing bass around in 50f to 70f temps. The locals down there apparently think that's too cold to fish since we were typically the only boat in sight and all the $million homes seemed abandoned.......

I agree with PayPal, its the only way to have any recourse on the purchase.......:)

The guy doesn't want to do paypal. He wants money upfront. I can understand but I probably will pass on the purchase.

The guy doesn't want to do paypal. He wants money upfront. I can understand but I probably will pass on the purchase.

Yeah, that's not a good sign from a seller.

Then pass. If his objection is to the PayPal fees, sometimes a deal can be worked out -- but if he won't take it under any circumstance, I'd back away unless it was someone I *really* had good reason to trust.

OK, I followed nobody's advice, including my own. I bought the thing, the guy shipped after the check cleared, and I got it today.

I built some trust by checking out where he worked. He worked for a public entity and info about him was on the Net.

I'm happy but I could have been screwed.

Glad you got your kayak!!

In a few months, all that snow and ice will melt and you'll have plenty of water for it, though maybe you do already. :)

Well luckily it turned out okay ! I love our kayak . We can throw it in and go in inches of water plus it's easy to put in & out .

An out of shape lawyer friend of ours in his mid 60's escaped from Katrina's flooding in his kayak. The water had gotten up to the second story of his house, so he just got in his kayak and paddled off.

He paddled several miles until he got to a freeway overpass where others had gathered. There, he rested and was finally rescued.

So, it's sort of a safety device - - like having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or a seat belt in your car.

OK, I followed nobody's advice, including my own. I bought the thing, the guy shipped after the check cleared, and I got it today.

I built some trust by checking out where he worked. He worked for a public entity and info about him was on the Net.

I'm happy but I could have been screwed.

Soooooo........ What did ya get?

Inflatable Innova Sunny that the guy claimed he used once. You cannot find them new for less than a $1000 and I got this for $600. Perfect shape, inflated just fine. He sent me pictures inflated and uninflated and of himself packing it up. Like I said, it was a big risk that I wouldn't advise anyone else to take.

I have a hard sided kayak I use around here but I wanted one that I could take in the MH and I wanted a hard sided inflatable, and was lusting for the Innova.

I think Greg would like you to paddle more:

690105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom