Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Orwell via Huxley
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Orwell via Huxley

Interesting writer who sounds a bit like many of us on this board, but with a slight conspiracy-theory bend....

Orwell via Huxley
__________________

__________________
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,695
I think the writer is giving way, way, waaayy to much credit to corporations and gov'ts. They're not that smart nor that clever.

They will stumble into clever situations or have a nefarious brainstorm but it is after the fact, not crafted in some secret room ahead of time like some global chess game.

Unless, of course, he's talking about the Illuminati, in which case, it's all true <grin>
__________________

__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think the writer is giving way, way, waaayy to much credit to corporations and gov'ts. They're not that smart nor that clever.

They will stumble into clever situations or have a nefarious brainstorm but it is after the fact, not crafted in some secret room ahead of time like some global chess game.

Unless, of course, he's talking about the Illuminati, in which case, it's all true <grin>
I think the point he was trying to make is that government and corporations are opportunistic when the opportunity to make money is involved. Hyperbole aside, the following was quite apt:

What are the Accepted Narratives? We all know them very well. That you should spend. That you should extend yourself... That you should buy all the stuff the corporations sell. Get yourself in debt to the banks. Buy the American Dream... the expensive car, the expensive house, the granite kitchen you see on HGTV. Get addicted to stuff, and get larded up with debt you'll pay the banks from cradle to grave. Never sit back and think, even for a moment, "Isn't life's only real currency freedom? Time? Wouldn't I be happier owing less? Wouldn't I be better off aiming to become free, rather than leveraged into a gilded prison?"


That sort of introspection is treason to the marketers. Treason to the banks. Treason to every structure that keeps most of us who have to work for a living in some form of either serfdom or golden handcuffs. A society of free people who find satisfaction outside the work>spend>work more>spend more treadmill is Big Corporate America's greatest nightmare.

__________________
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I think the point he was trying to make is that government and corporations are opportunistic when the opportunity to make money is involved. Hyperbole aside, the following was quite apt:

What are the Accepted Narratives? We all know them very well. That you should spend. That you should extend yourself... That you should buy all the stuff the corporations sell. Get yourself in debt to the banks. Buy the American Dream... the expensive car, the expensive house, the granite kitchen you see on HGTV. Get addicted to stuff, and get larded up with debt you'll pay the banks from cradle to grave. ["[/B]


Agreed, but he makes it sound like the marketers are gleefully rubbing their hands together as if we are following some plan they cooked up ahead of time.

Opportunistic? Sure. But no one is sitting in a room going: "ok, now let's get all these losers addicted to those granite tops so that we can keep folks on the treadmill and paying us for the rest of their lives...bwahahaha!."

It's just business...and unless you just fell off the turnip truck, it's up to each of us to recognize where they're coming from, the pitfalls and manage our own expectations, lifestyle and expenses.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Agreed, but he makes it sound like the marketers are gleefully rubbing their hands together as if we are following some plan they cooked up ahead of time.

Opportunistic? Sure. But no one is sitting in a room going: "ok, now let's get all these losers addicted to those granite tops so that we can keep folks on the treadmill and paying us for the rest of their lives...bwahahaha!."

It's just business...and unless you just fell off the turnip truck, it's up to each of us to recognize where they're coming from, the pitfalls and manage our own expectations, lifestyle and expenses.

Actually, I think there are groups of people at companies that DO try and get us addicted to whatever they are selling... companies are not spending billions of dollars on advertising because it does not work...

Also, who do you think helps out on these HGTV shows that have almost everybody demanding a granite countertop

Why have car companies started the 72 month loan? (if not longer).... to keep the payments down so an expensive car does not 'cost so much'....

Are the companies getting together to conspire.... nope... but don't think that there is not some of the best research going on on human behavior at some of these companies.....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,252
Do a search of 60 minutes....

Last weeks show had a segment on facial recognition... and what some companies are doing with it.... and what they CAN do with it is scary....


http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50147161n
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It's just business...and unless you just fell off the turnip truck, it's up to each of us to recognize where they're coming from, the pitfalls and manage our own expectations, lifestyle and expenses.
We must have collectively just fallen off the turnip truck, because only a certain type of person resists this stuff. My TV suddenly started showing things like HGTV that I had never seen before. I can't tell if these crazy people are plants, or if home buyers really go for this granite and other over the top stuff. No doubt it is attractive, but before its fairly recent popularity it would have looked like something straight off the farm, My maternal gps, who never had 4 cents to rub together had all kinds of marble topped furniture. My grandmother who lived with us used to make pull taffy and fudge, and cool it in shapes on the top off a marble topped table carried from the farm.

I go to realtors' open houses in my neighborhood, or when I am out walking with GF on a Sunday afternoon. They all have marble countertops in the places they are trying to sell. I look at them, and there are seams that to me seem like they may harbor bacteria, but I do not know. I imagine they can be cracked if you put a really hot skillet down, or drop one. At any rate, they cost someone a fair bit of coin.

To survive and remain sane in modern America requires a certain degree of misanthropy. For example, can you remain slim if you think that being fat is just as attractive and healthy as being fat? Clearly people really like doughnuts and various quite fattening foods. How can these be resisted without developing some fairly strong counter motivation?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,695
Ha: it's not about 'resisting', its about recognizing where they're coming from and having the awareness of at least knowing when someone is trying to sell you something you don't want.

I think most folks on this forum are pretty good at keeping their needs vs wants in perspective and acting responsibly, don't you?
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Ha: it's not about 'resisting', its about recognizing where they're coming from and having the awareness of at least knowing when someone is trying to sell you something you don't want.

I think most folks on this forum are pretty good at keeping their needs vs wants in perspective and acting responsibly, don't you?
Yes; I agree completely with what you say. The people on this board have different tastes, means, and methods, but I think we are all pretty good at avoiding being taken in.

But we are a very small minority. But I am easily tempted by certain things, which is why I may have needed to develop countermeasures. Vaccination so to speak. Like everyone here, I value freedom way above material things. Like many here, I have probably taken less crap than 99% of Americans. It annoyed my father, who felt I should have spent more time in harness.

I guess what you may be suggesting is replacing resistance with finesse; ju jitsu rather than boxing. And I think this may be a very good suggestion. Time for an old dog to try to learn some new tricks!


Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think most folks on this forum are pretty good at keeping their needs vs wants in perspective and acting responsibly, don't you?
Yes. Most here would pass the marshmallow test, if not as children then as in my case by later learned behavior.

That's why we're not all going to be slaves to the credit industry until we die.

But this is apparently a self-selected minority judging by what is going on with the rest of humanity.
__________________

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.