Wendy’s announces drone delivery

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Wendy’s has announced it will test drone delivery, via Doordash. Apparently DoodDash has been testing this in Australia for over a year and is happy with the result.

From The Verge https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/21/...e-delivery-wing-wendys-christianburg-virginia

DoorDash announced today that it’s rolling out a new fast food delivery pilot in the US, in partnership with Alphabet’s Wing drone delivery company. That’s right, friends. If you’re lucky enough to live near the Wendy’s at 2355 N. Franklin Street in Christianburg, Virginia, you can have your square beef sandwiches delivered by drone. Now, that’s the one by Hobby Lobby, not the one at 2330 Roanoke Street, near the Cracker Barrel.
./.
Most of the Wendy’s menu qualifies, Magdovitz said, but “certain combinations of items” might “exceed the volume and weight restrictions” to be eligible. However, she said DoorDash “will deploy up to three drones to deliver the order” if need be. If it’s too big for even that, the company will send a regular old human being. Drone dasher is only available from 10:30AM ET to 4:30AM ET, from Wednesday – Sunday, she added.

From the video it looks like the food package is set down on the ground and needs a target area of 2m diameter free of all obstacle.

An interesting experiment.

Somehow I feel like in that area there will be some brisk sales of these. :D

Attachments

• drone loads.png
    drone loads.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 186
First surge, now Verge. I can't imagine the food arriving warm after such a flight.

This (Christiansburg) is near my neck of the woods, but not quite close enough for me to participate. They’ve been delivering library books, coffee, and a few other things for a few years now. Probably not a coincidence that Va Tech is nearby (go Hokies!).

From the article:

Drone dasher is only available from 10:30AM ET to 4:30AM ET, from Wednesday – Sunday, she added.

Surely 4:30AM is a typo?!

"Baconator after hitting the bars, delivered at 2:30AM. Woo hoo!"

I saw this Wendy's collaboration with DoorDash when I was doing research on buying DoorDash stock. I find it amazing that these drones have the power to lift the full bags off the ground and "reel" in the drop cord and then secure the plastic grip-clip to the bottom of the drone. Seems to me the weight of the food in the bag would be prohibitive.

Video here:
https://wing.com/partner/

(BTW, I did buy some DoorDash stock.)

What I haven't seen yet is how they do the hand off to the customer. Do they just drop it in a clear area near your front door? Hope there's no dogs in the vicinity. I assume they send a text message indicating the drone is about to deliver it in 1 minute so you can go outside and pick it up off the grass to take inside to eat it.

Also, are these self-flying drones? or is there a 16-year old kid sitting at a computer screen driving these drones into my front yard by way showing it off to his girlfriend at her house?

Another opportunity to not order fast food:)

I was about to say "I'm glad this is a viable business", but it might be lapping up startup funds and loosing money every day. But I hope not.

Maybe Wendy's just wanted something besides "surge pricing" on the search results, LOL!

Also, are these self-flying drones? or is there a 16-year old kid sitting at a computer screen driving these drones into my front yard by way showing it off to his girlfriend at her house?
It has to be computer assisted flight control.
Maybe Wendy's just wanted something besides "surge pricing" on the search results, LOL!

Good point, entirely possible.

It has to be computer assisted flight control.

Good point, entirely possible.

I wonder how that w*rks in sustained winds of over 30mph as we often have here in the Islands.

I don't think this will work well if you want a Chocolate Frosty unless you want chocolate "milk".

What I haven't seen yet is how they do the hand off to the customer. Do they just drop it in a clear area near your front door? Hope there's no dogs in the vicinity. I assume they send a text message indicating the drone is about to deliver it in 1 minute so you can go outside and pick it up off the grass to take inside to eat it.

According to their website they are autonomous.

I don't think this will work well if you want a Chocolate Frosty unless you want chocolate "milk".

Hmmmmm. Maybe send it in a doubled styro cup. That would also help one get their MDR of phthalates and microplastics!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom