Ouch, thought I had a new govmint job!

Bimmerbill

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I applied to a general pool for a local GS-11 job. I got an interview, talked to the people and they liked my skills and qualifications. They offered to hire me as an 11 and promote me to GS-12 since I was already a GS-11. I told them I'd love to work for them, as they were already taking care of me and I didn't even work for them yet!

This job doesnt require military membership like my current job, which would allow me to retire from the national guard in 1 year and continue govmint employment.

Well, I thought it was all set after I talked to their HRO. But, I got a call later today saying there could be a problem since they advertised the job incorrectly (open to all Govmint workers, not open to competitive Govment workers only). Since I am am classified as excepted service, I may not be eligible.

What a bummer. It's not over yet, but I don't have a good feeling. I'm having a very hard time breaking into competitive service, I think because I don't have a veterans preference. Even after 22 years in the national guard I am not classified as a veteran.

I just wanted to rant a bit heh. Thanks for listening.

What's the difference between competitive and excepted? Are all government jobs this specific?

COMPETITIVE AND EXCEPTED SERVICE
There are two classes of jobs in the Federal Government: 1) those that are in the competitive civil service, and 2) those that are in the excepted service.

Competitive service jobs are under OPM's jurisdiction and subject to the civil service laws passed by Congress to ensure that applicants and employees receive fair and equal treatment in the hiring process. These laws give selecting officials broad authority to review more than one applicant source before determining the best-qualified candidate based on job-related criteria. A basic principle of Federal employment is that all candidates must meet the qualification requirements for the position for which they receive an appointment.

Excepted service agencies set their own qualification requirements and are not subject to the appointment, pay, and classification rules in title 5, United States Code. However, they are subject to veterans' preference. Some Federal agencies, the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) have only excepted service positions. In other instances, certain organizations within an agency, or even specific jobs may be excepted from civil service procedures. Positions may be in the excepted service by law, by executive order, or by action of OPM.

Just found this on OPM.gov

Just retired with 35 years of the feds. If you are with the Post Soviet Union DOD, get set to find out that retirees get the clean end of the lollipop. Go to www.federalsoup.com for more info.

CSRS is the preferable plan. That's why the gov't changed it. There is an old adage among civil servants....If the gov't wants to change it, it's usually not good for the employees. The whole NSPS/OPM change,retirement system changes, all of it make me glad I got out. It's not the greatest in the world but I have health coverage which the feds pay 72% of and my annuity is indexed to inflation.. But this should be in anolther forum on the previously quoted website.

Gpax7 said:
There is an old adage among civil servants....If the gov't wants to change it, it's usually not good for the employees. /quote]

Yeah, we have that in the private secttor, too. I usually see it interpreted as BOHICA. "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again."

Back
Top Bottom