Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Thanks everyone for the interesting comments and info!

As mentioned above, DW paddles a 12' Perception Tribute, a trim sit-in weighing just under 40 lbs. I paddle an Ocean Kayak 13' Prowler sit-on-top. My knees are way past being shot and I can't squat, so it's tough for me to get into a sit-in. With the sit-on-top I just walk it and me out to thigh deep water, back up to it, and sit down. Then I swing my legs in and I'm ready to go. My grandson's physical therapist at Easter Seals helped me develop the technique.

I still get in and out of a canoe fairly well, so I'm currently looking for a solo model, perhaps a season end close-out. Solo canoes are very popular with the paddling club we belong to.

We still use a tandem canoe for serious camping, but once DW got a taste of havng her own boat and being "in control," solo boats became our transport of choice for day trips!
What do you have for foldables?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
What do you have for foldables?
No foldables here Martha. I think they are a good idea though.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A fellow I w*rked with had a Folboat. I think that is the right name. 2 seater. He and his wife really liked it.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
No foldables here Martha. I think they are a good idea though.

Cripe, I confused you with Yakers.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

How appropriate that this would be my first post on this board.

I'm a 37 year old who has grown up on Canada's west coast and have been an avid sea kayaker since my early 20's. I cannot possibly list all of the things I've experienced over those many years... let me just say that close encounters with orcas, sea lions, eagles, an injured porpoise are among the highlights.

I own two sea kayaks - an 18' Nimbus Telkwa and an 18' Current Designs Solstice. With all the racks needed to transport the boats, the DW and I have been up and down Vancouver Island in search of nice launching spots (and good pubs).

Needless to say, I don't get to paddle as much as I want... basically I am saving and investing furiously so that I can retire in the next ten years and paddle whenever I bloody feel like it.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #26

Welcome, and please regale us with your stories. Photos too. An eager audience awaits.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Many things to do today, so stories have to wait... but here's a teaser:

IMG_2229.jpg
Old 09-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
How appropriate that this would be my first post on this board.

I'm a 37 year old who has grown up on Canada's west coast and have been an avid sea kayaker since my early 20's. I cannot possibly list all of the things I've experienced over those many years... let me just say that close encounters with orcas, sea lions, eagles, an injured porpoise are among the highlights.

I own two sea kayaks - an 18' Nimbus Telkwa and an 18' Current Designs Solstice. With all the racks needed to transport the boats, the DW and I have been up and down Vancouver Island in search of nice launching spots (and good pubs).

Needless to say, I don't get to paddle as much as I want... basically I am saving and investing furiously so that I can retire in the next ten years and paddle whenever I bloody feel like it.
This is a great thread!
You live on or near Vancouver Island? Nice.
I have canoed in Big Bend NP before.
My best stories are from canoeing in the swamps of South Carolina.

Maybe DW and I will get in a leaf watching trip before the weather requires ice skates on our canoe.

Free to canoe
Old 09-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #29

Canoeing in Big Bend got me remembering the San Marcos River Safari race. Wanted to try that when I was younger.

Anyone ever hear of it? Enter it?

History of the Texas Water Safari

Free to canoe
Old 09-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hey - the San Marcos River is where I got my first exposure to kayaking Class 2/3 rapids. What a blast!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
This is a great thread!
You live on or near Vancouver Island? Nice.
I have canoed in Big Bend NP before.
My best stories are from canoeing in the swamps of South Carolina.

Maybe DW and I will get in a leaf watching trip before the weather requires ice skates on our canoe.

Free to canoe
I have some recreational property in the Southern Gulf Islands... just a stones throw (or short paddle) from Vancouver Island. A true kayakers paradise. This is where I will retire eventually... this map gives you an idea where the islands are - pretty much smack dab between B.C.'s two big cities of Vancouver and Victoria. South Pender is my island... looking south to the good ol' USA....

Gulf_Islands_map[1].jpg
Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Did I misunderstand, or did you say that you paddle the West Coast of Vancouver Island? In the Straits or Pacific? You must have a ferry to Vancouver Island?

I have been salmon fishing out there-used to live at Cape Flattery. Challenging waters!

Ha
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Did I misunderstand, or did you say that you paddle the West Coast of Vancouver Island? In the Straits or Pacific? You must have a ferry to Vancouver Island?

I have been salmon fishing out there-used to live at Cape Flattery. Challenging waters!

Ha
I've paddled a bit on Vancouver Islands west coast... but you have to be very careful. Summer only, and even then 6 foot swells are a possibility... I prefer the sheltered waters between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Perhaps not as exciting, but these beauties ALWAYS keep it interesting:

IMG_2223.jpg

I took this picture from the shore... when I'm in the kayak and the orcas are in the area, handling a camera is a bit tricky. Usually, the DW and I try to give these magnificent animals a wide berth - thier size and speed is intimidating. But if they CHOOSE to approach your kayak there is nothing you can do about it. A few years back we were out for a relaxed cruise and we spotted an orca pod in the distance. Always an exciting event, we kept a close eye on their movements. They were approaching quite close as the minutes went by, and we decided to duck into a small cove and let them pass - they usually stay in the deeper waters where the fish are... well a large male decided to make a detour into this cove where the DW and I were innocently floating. We both knew there was no time to go anywhere... one minute the great dorsal fin was perhaps 50 yards away and the next thing it resurfaces perhaps 10 yards away, then it was gone. We both knew it was now somewhere underneath us. This fact was seconds later reinforced by the fact that the ocean level seemed to rise rose about a foot as the great creatures bulk displaced the water beneath our boats. Somewhere in my panicked mind I knew of no known cases of orca attacks on kayakers, but it was still momentarily terrifying. Then we saw the great fin come up again 20 yards moving away from us. I'll never forget this encounter again, needless to say. We continue to enjoy the periodic company of the orcas on our paddles, but thankfully at a comfortable distance.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I have some recreational property in the Southern Gulf Islands... just a stones throw (or short paddle) from Vancouver Island. A true kayakers paradise. This is where I will retire eventually... this map gives you an idea where the islands are - pretty much smack dab between B.C.'s two big cities of Vancouver and Victoria. South Pender is my island... looking south to the good ol' USA....

Attachment 7463
Nice location. Nice map presentation!

Free to canoe
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

i've been to galiano island (right next door) a few times and it was wonderful
i'm a bit jealous :-) ..
Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #36

I've kayaked in the San Juans, of Vancouver Is and in Alaska. (name=yakers=kayakers) Loved it all. Do they still have a water trail of B&Bs between the gulf islands? Loved the idea, and if the seas get to rough just take your kayak on the ferry to the next island.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
I've kayaked in the San Juans, of Vancouver Is and in Alaska. (name=yakers=kayakers) Loved it all. Do they still have a water trail of B&Bs between the gulf islands? Loved the idea, and if the seas get to rough just take your kayak on the ferry to the next island.
Yeah, I've used the ferries to island hop - here's how I do it:

IMG_0213.JPG

I think this was a trip to Vancouver Island in 2005 - we stayed for a weekend in a nice B & B in Sooke... weather was kinda iffy, but still a fun time.