Paging TH - Computer Needed.........

C

Cut-Throat

TH,

My brother in law in looking to buy a computer. You always seem to have a line on the great deals. He does not need a monitor or even Operating system Software. He's already got XP. :confused:

My wife just bought a nice PC loaded with Windows 98,
complete with a color laser printer. The whole works for
$30.00. No kidding! It's as good as my system which cost $399 after rebates, except I have Windows XP. Anyway,
if I wanted a cheap system just for e-mail and
surfing the web, I would haunt the garage sales and auctions looking for a "don't wanter" computer owner.

John Galt

Damn...I've been out of work for almost four years and this frickin' pager keeps going off! ;)

This one is $349 after rebate...comes with a 17" monitor AND XP however...I dont think you'll find a good new machine for less without them. Not a good system for "first person shooter" type games as the graphics subsystem is more quality than speed, but other than that, it looks like a good machine. I havent seen these Dell 3000 series, but the 2400's they replace were very good for home use.

Donate the old monitor or sell the new one...probably get $40-50 for it...and he can probably sell his old copy of XP as well for $50-60. The copy of XP that comes with this one is probably an OEM copy and is bonded to the machine.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=3d30h13a&s=bsd

Doesnt need much, maybe a modem or whatever other goodies he needs. Extras are generally pretty cheap when ordered WITH a system, so consider carefully.

You can also do a Wab and snoop through the refurbished/clearance section for slightly cheaper models with no monitor. Unfortunately they just had a HUGE clearance sale and there are only a couple of units in stock...only thing cheaper than the above machine was a 2.2GHz celeron machine for $309. The new machine above comes with a free upgrade to 512MB ram and 80GB disk, a bunch of software, 2 year warranty and six months free AOL or Earthlink. Pretty good deal.

Damn...I've been out of work for almost four years and this frickin' pager keeps going off!  

TH - That is what I said when my In-Law called me! - Thanks!

JohnGalt - Actually he will be replacing another machine that has Windows XP on it. The old one he is donating to a worthy cause. -He is a "don't wanter" computer owner.
He just wants a faster machine.

You can also do a Wab and snoop through the refurbished/clearance section for slightly cheaper models with no monitor.
There are some amazing deals in there, but there's a ton of competition. And some of the competition is heavily armed with site scrapers and cart-injection scripts to automate the deal finding. I got lucky with my find. The WMD-shoppers must have been sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom