Part-time furlough

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got word I've been cut back to 20 hrs/wk on a temporary basis until work picks up around here. I'm suffering from OMY syndrome anyway and FIREcalc says I can cut the cord, so maybe this is a good way to "test drive" FIRE. If I like it half as much as I think I will, and if the bills get paid like I know they will, I may never agree to go back to full-time work. Maybe not even part-time. :dance:

Made sure to tell the boss this doesn't mean I work 40 and get paid for 20 hours. I saw that happen to folks here a couple of years ago; people who are living on a shoestring actually agreed to that. My letter from HR included a reminder that I'm still an exempt employee, so I wonder what they really expect even though my immediate boss assured me they would never do that to me. Just try it and see how long I work here. :D

If you have the chance, I would go for 2.5 days per week rather than 4 hours per day. That should get you a good feel for the RE lifestyle.

If you have the chance, I would go for 2.5 days per week rather than 4 hours per day. That should get you a good feel for the RE lifestyle.
+1
And make sure you don't answer their phone calls or emails for the 2.5 days you are off. :)

+1
And make sure you don't answer their phone calls or emails for the 2.5 days you are off. :)

I've heard of a number of firms who have forbid employees to have any w#rk contact during furloughs on the advice of their legal depts. Seems there have been suits brought over the issue of '20hrs hrs pay for 40hrs w#rk'.

Agree, when you do go into work, make it a full day. Try to do 2x8 one week and then 3x8 the next. Instead of the half day to make 20 hours in one week.

I had a kind of similar experience recently, except mine was a no-work retirement test drive. Between jobs and had 2 full weeks off work. I did so much around the house and garage that I had to go back to work to recover from my temporary retirement!

Back
Top Bottom