Password Managers

I use norton's password manager. it is a little glitcy, but works on all my platforms

There are many Kingstons. I would suggest that for passwords and confidential items, a person would purchase one that has the type of protection that this model provides. Unfortunately, I think when you purchase that protection, the drive will be on the more expensive side. But, the decision is based upon your level of concern, obviously.

Kingston's DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0 (DTVP 3.0) USB flash drive provides affordable business-grade security with 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption using XTS block cipher mode, which offers stronger protection than CBC and ECB modes. It protects 100 per cent of stored data and enforces complex password protection with minimum characteristics to prevent unauthorized access. For additional peace of mind, the drive locks down and reformats after 10 intrusion attempts. It also features a read-only access mode to avoid potential malware risks.

KeePass is already encrypted.
Now if someone stores passwords in .txt files or .xls files, then they would be safer with an encrypted drive.

Some Windows versions include bit locker which can turn a thumb drive into an encrypted drive.

I use Linux and it allows me to turn any thumb drive into an encrypted one.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Been on LastPass now for 3 days with no issues and really like it. 50+ websites now with no-repeating, strong passwords.

LastPass often fails for me, in different ways. Sometimes it fails to autologin, sometimes it will only enter in the user name. I usually have to click the wrench icon and copy and paste.

For example, sometimes, like right now, it doesn't do anything at a particular login screen. Other times it has its little icons in the text boxes, but if I click the icon in the icon in the user name box, the icon just changes to an "x." If I click the icon in the password box, it works.

Others don't see things like that??

What browser are you using? I use firefox and haven't seen those issues. Do you have the autologin box checked for all the websites in your LastPass vault? I believe it's off by default, you can look in your LastPass vault and click on any website to verify if the autologin box is checked. Some browsers have there own password/login vault and can cause conflicts, I would make sure it's disabled if using LastPass.

I've been very satisfied using LastPass on my desktop and tablet. Haven't put it on my phone yet. Just last week, they made it free for mobile devices. It syncs across all your devices.

I use LastPass too, but I am wondering if there is something better out there.
Lately, I have encountered situations where the site asks for me to input my current password when I try to change it, and LastPass doesn't help me in this situation. Basically, I can log in (via LastPass) but I cannot change the current password to something else... How to go about this situation?

Last edited:
LastPass often fails for me, in different ways. Sometimes it fails to autologin, sometimes it will only enter in the user name. I usually have to click the wrench icon and copy and paste.

For example, sometimes, like right now, it doesn't do anything at a particular login screen. Other times it has its little icons in the text boxes, but if I click the icon in the icon in the user name box, the icon just changes to an "x." If I click the icon in the password box, it works.

Others don't see things like that??

Yes, I have encountered some issues with LastPass not filling out the username/passwords. Sometimes it fills out the username with wrong usernames. I use Chrome.

My experience with auto-logon and copy/paste is that some sites do not allow it. For those not familiar with Yodlee, for some reason it has many different formats of data presentation to choose from. While trying to log-on with Keepass, some of their 'formats' allowed auto-type and some did not. Can't tell you why. Just can tell you it was not Keepass. It was the set up that Yodlee selected that did not allow for auto-type or copy and paste in one of their selected formats.

I tried to use TradeKing, but their site won't allow cut and paste type of entry for the password, if you have been off the site for a few weeks.
Instead they force you to manually mouse click on a popup keyboard.

It was such an annoyance that I closed the account.

I tried to use TradeKing, but their site won't allow cut and paste type of entry for the password, if you have been off the site for a few weeks.
Instead they force you to manually mouse click on a popup keyboard.

It was such an annoyance that I closed the account.

I was considering closing Yodlee for the same reason but since they have 4 formats of presenting the data, they directed me to one of the other formats. Since that worked, I stayed with them.

Sunset, as you know, with a good password, it is almost impossible to use it without copying it. You would think all end use sites would recognize that!

Back
Top Bottom