Password Managers

NanoSour

Full time employment: Posting here.
Started doing some research on password managers and wondered if any here could provide some useful input. I have both PC and Mac platforms and would like to get past using an excel spreadsheet for my passwords.

I remember using 1Password years ago before they started charging for the software. It worked ok, but did cause some frustration with certain sites that required multiple authentication.

I just checked out 1Password's website and they just moved to subscription model for $4.99/month paid a year at a time. Seems worth it for better internet security, but not if it's always a hassle to get into sites across several computers.

I've been very satisfied using LastPass on my desktop and tablet. Haven't put it on my phone yet. Just last week, they made it free for mobile devices. It syncs across all your devices.

There are several threads discussing this, I've been using LastPass on my Windows laptop for a long time and like it, I believe it also works on Mac. One thing I just found out about LastPass is that the android app is now free. Maybe I've been asleep at the wheel but I always thought the LastPass android app required a paid subscription.

Edit: Looks like Rodent answered my question about the android app.

I liked when LastPass was independent and had an obvious business model (free for web, pay for mobile). Now, they're part of a larger company (logmein), shot their obvious business model, and my trust has diminished. I'm behind on SecurityNow. Anyone know what Steve said about it?

PasswordSafe is simple and effective for me.

Started doing some research on password managers and wondered if any here could provide some useful input. I have both PC and Mac platforms and would like to get past using an excel spreadsheet for my passwords.

I remember using 1Password years ago before they started charging for the software. It worked ok, but did cause some frustration with certain sites that required multiple authentication.

I just checked out 1Password's website and they just moved to subscription model for $4.99/month paid a year at a time. Seems worth it for better internet security, but not if it's always a hassle to get into sites across several computers.

Keep in mind, nice to have a "Notes" section to store comments. I use that area to save info like my passwords' challenge questions and answers. Also, having a manager with a good password generator is helpful too.

Keep in mind, nice to have a "Notes" section to store comments. I use that area to save info like my passwords' challenge questions and answers. Also, having a manager with a good password generator is helpful too.

Good comments...... LastPass has both features

I used Password Safe for years but recently switched to SplashID Safe.

Password Keeper ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 11.13.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 11.13.36 AM.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 32
I use "Keeper." It has a free trial version (I think it's still available), and I pay $12.99/yr for the paid version which stores unlimited passwords & some additional file storage (which I don't use). I've used it for several years and am satisfied.

I've been very satisfied using LastPass on my desktop and tablet. Haven't put it on my phone yet. Just last week, they made it free for mobile devices. It syncs across all your devices.

I use LastPass myself, Basic version is free for desktop, adding mobile devices is a small nominal amount that is worth the cost IMO.

+1 for Lastpass. I pay $12/year for mobile device support. Works great with iOS. It supports TouchID, which makes it very convenient to use.

Makes me wonder if they'll start supporting TouchID on new Macs with the Touch Bar?

+100 for LastPass. Been using it for years, has just about every possible feature you could want, and it just recently went free for mobile.

I use keePass
KeePass Password Safe

Runs on various systems, stored locally so no worries about the cloud being hacked, but does mean you have to keep your various devices synch'd yourself , or run it off a thumbdrive.

Has room for lots of notes kept with each login site info.
Although I use LastPass, I might switch to KeePass. Because it's open source means it's at least possible to see how and what they're doing. The LastPass documentation suggests they're doing it right (i.e. the private key never leaves your machine and so if the LastPass servers are compromised or LastPass is compelled by law to give up all they have, only the idiots with guessable passwords are at risk).

PasswordSafe is simple and effective for me.
I use Passwordsafe too. I store the password file on Dropbox so I can use the same list across platforms (desktop, laptop, phone, iPad). The file itself is encrypted so I am not worried about storing it in the cloud.

I have used LastPass for years. As others mention, it's now free to use on multiple devices. Do be aware that all of these cloud-based password managers, while they do securely encrypt your passwords and "secure notes", the URLs of sites you store passwords for are not encrypted and are discoverable on the cloud server if that got hacked. This doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you then a solution where you're responsible for synchronization might be a better choice.

keepass for me. It does all I want and I do not need to store my passwords on the computer or in the cloud. (You can store your PW on the computer or in the cloud if you like)

I use a thumb drive which I can hide or place in a safe and not be concerned about the cloud storage being hacked or my computer stolen. If you elect to use it by storing your passwords on a thumb drive, it would be wise to get a high quality thumb drive either Kingston or Iron Key since they seem to be more reliable. Also, create a backup thumb drive, which I think can be a less expensive thumb drive brand.

I like LastPass also. I do not allow it to store passwords for my checking or savings accounts though.

keepass for me. It does all I want and I do not need to store my passwords on the computer or in the cloud. (You can store your PW on the computer or in the cloud if you like)

I use a thumb drive which I can hide or place in a safe and not be concerned about the cloud storage being hacked or my computer stolen. If you elect to use it by storing your passwords on a thumb drive, it would be wise to get a high quality thumb drive either Kingston or Iron Key since they seem to be more reliable. Also, create a backup thumb drive, which I think can be a less expensive thumb drive brand.

Thumbdrives are so cheap now it's not an issue at all.Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive $4.38
The 16 GB one is $6.97

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (DT100G3/8GB)-Newegg.com

Thumbdrives are so cheap now it's not an issue at all.Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive $4.38
The 16 GB one is $6.97

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (DT100G3/8GB)-Newegg.com

There are many Kingstons. I would suggest that for passwords and confidential items, a person would purchase one that has the type of protection that this model provides. Unfortunately, I think when you purchase that protection, the drive will be on the more expensive side. But, the decision is based upon your level of concern, obviously.

Kingston's DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0 (DTVP 3.0) USB flash drive provides affordable business-grade security with 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption using XTS block cipher mode, which offers stronger protection than CBC and ECB modes. It protects 100 per cent of stored data and enforces complex password protection with minimum characteristics to prevent unauthorized access. For additional peace of mind, the drive locks down and reformats after 10 intrusion attempts. It also features a read-only access mode to avoid potential malware risks.

LastPass often fails for me, in different ways. Sometimes it fails to autologin, sometimes it will only enter in the user name. I usually have to click the wrench icon and copy and paste.

For example, sometimes, like right now, it doesn't do anything at a particular login screen. Other times it has its little icons in the text boxes, but if I click the icon in the icon in the user name box, the icon just changes to an "x." If I click the icon in the password box, it works.

Others don't see things like that??

Back
Top Bottom