Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Pastor Wright - What cabinet position suits him best?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pastor Wright - What cabinet position suits him best?

Personally I'm thinking Secretary of State - I see tremendous bridges being built throughout the world by this man.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

But its grass roots and change! Come on a bit of hate isnt so bad..is it

Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to disagree, I have tentatively slated Oprah as Sec. of State. Sharpton as AG, and Pastor Wright as chaplain of the Senate.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So, now Obama is "too black" where he was once not black enough?

I like the guy and if you read his website he has well thought out positions which are inconsistent with Wright. Obama isn't all just charisma. And he, like all the other candidates, does not take all the positions of all their friends and associates.

I have noticed in the press lately that it seems to be a contest of who is going to embarrass which candidate. It is getting more than a bit tedious.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any church or religion that conducts political indoctrination sessions should not be tax exempt.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy View Post
I tend to disagree, I have tentatively slated Oprah as Sec. of State. Sharpton as AG, and Pastor Wright as chaplain of the Senate.
Lord help us all if that happens..........

Canada would look nice then.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

Hell, Iraq would look nice then.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Any church or religion that conducts political indoctrination sessions should not be tax exempt.
Totally agree. There are very good reasons why religion should not be involved in politics and vice versa. Simply look at the problems in the middle-east.

Romney received 90%+ of the Republican vote in Utah. Wonder if Mitt's name was brought up during church services?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

I like the guy and if you read his website he has well thought out positions which are inconsistent with Wright. Obama isn't all just charisma. And he, like all the other candidates, does not take all the positions of all their friends and associates.

I have noticed in the press lately that it seems to be a contest of who is going to embarrass which candidate. It is getting more than a bit tedious.
If this issue (the embarrassing bigot Rev Wright) starts to gain traction and hurt Obama, he'll have to actively distance himself from this guy. The situation would be the same if McCain had been bringing his family to a church for many years led by a segregationist white bigot--we'd all expect McCain to say what he liked about that church and that minister, and to say that he does not agree with his views on race in America. The problem is that such a statement by Obama would (in my opinion) cause him some serious problem with a significant part of his constituency. It's a constituency he might not agree with, but one he can't afford to alienate at this time.
I, for one, hope he does the right thing, openly and specifically disavowing the divisive and inaccurate views held by his pastor.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

Canada looks nice now actually. But they don't want you. They have immigration laws. And they enforce them........
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

He could bring back Rumsfeld and Ashcroft. They were cute.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

That the senator has been a member of this church for 20 years, brought his children there and he didn't speak up against what was being preached speaks volumens to me.

I though there wasn't much of a difference between Hilary and Obama before. Now Hilary looks as if she holds the moral high ground and my vote.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #13

This is a fascinating story! I mean what in the world is Obama thinking? This is crazy. This is just like when the people of Minnesota elected Jessie Ventura and said holy cr@p we just elected WHO??

The American people have the information with this moron. He really is nothing more than a senator from Illinois and a weak one at that. He gave a real good speech in 2004.

Like the cartoons say yidipyadeep thats all folks!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

I agree with you 100%. I have been a life long republican but after eight years of Bush, I will vote for Obama if he gets his party's nomination. If not I will hold my nose and vote for McCain.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
Administrator

Dex:

I don't know about you, but my pastor clears all his sermons with me before he gives them. Don't be ridiculous!

I am a member of the United Church of Christ, just as Obama is. I go to church every Sunday. Sometimes, I agree with the sermon, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I fall asleep. I am no more responsible for the content of my pastor's sermons than you are responsible for the content of the posts here (other than your own). The great thing about my denomination is freedom of conscience. Each of our UCC congregations is independent. We have no tests of faith or doctrinal creeds to which we must subscribe. And within each congregation, we come in a wide variety of beliefs and experiences. Each of us approaches God in our own separate way, and we are comfortable with that. We need not, and often do not, agree with our pastor.

Furthermore, a congregation is much more than a pastor. He is important, of course, but the most important thing is that we are a group of Christians who come together to worship and praise God and to carry out the works that Jesus charged us with. Pastors move in and out of churches, but the congregation remains as an everlasting, if ever evolving, entity. (My own church is 370 years old this year). For me to leave my church as a consequence of a few sermons with which I disagree would be a precipitous step. It would require cutting ties with a community of faith that has sustained me over many years.

There is a reason the Constitution explicitly prohibits a religious test for public office -- to prevent people from doing precisely what you are doing. It is positively un-American to require that any presidential candidate worship in a manner and in a place that YOU deem acceptable.

Gumby

P.S. I don't think it matters, but for those who might be interested, I believe that Pastor Wright has retired and that Trinity UCC has a new pastor.

P.P.S. -- If you want to start parsing religious backgrounds, you might want to investigate Clinton's membership in a Washington DC group called The Fellowship. One of its leaders is the Reverend Bob Schenck, who is the former head of the militant anti-abortion group Operation Rescue. Should Clinton be held responsible for all the things Schenck has said or done? I think not, but by your standards maybe yes, so you ought to look into it.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #16

A bit of news.

Minister leaves Obama campaign - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com
Old 03-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
That the senator has been a member of this church for 20 years, brought his children there and he didn't speak up against what was being preached speaks volumens to me.

I though there wasn't much of a difference between Hilary and Obama before. Now Hilary looks as if she holds the moral high ground and my vote.
I couldn't have said it better. I find it impossible to trust him now because I donít believe he was not present when this Pastor spoke this hate speak. I believe the pastor spoke like this many times before.

We'll see what Pennsylvania thinks about this as well as Michigan and Florida (when they re-vote).

If I went to my synagogue and my Rabbi spoke negatively against others or this country and all else which I believed in, I would RUN not walk out of that sermon and synagogue.

He is just trying to do damage control now.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
There is a reason the Constitution explicitly prohibits a religious test for public office -- to prevent people from doing precisely what you are doing. It is positively un-American to require that any presidential candidate worship in a manner and in a place that YOU deem acceptable.
There's a very big difference between a government-imposed religious test (which the Constitution prohibits) and the electorate making decisions on a candidate based on the views (religious and otherwise) that a candidate holds. For example, there's just no way that I could vote for a presidential candidate who really believes that the earth is no more than 6000 years old. For that reason alone, I would not have voted for Huckabee.

We have freedom of religion, but that does not mean that we can't laugh out loud at some of the stuff that passes for theology.

None of which has anything to do with Reverend Wright and Obama. Nothing the Rev said about theology or sin or redemption is what is at issue here. It's his anti-America, anti-white message of division and hate that is what is getting folks upset. He's free to spout that stuff, but if a candidate for President voluntarily subjects himself and his family to it and calls the old bigot a "mentor" and thinks enough of him to single him out in his autobiography, it is right to question that candidate's judgment and values. The statements of Obama to date sure haven't put things right. Or, maybe you are right--maybe he likes the social life of the that congregation--which is apparently a whole bunch of people who thought this type of sermon was okay and didn't think they should reign this guy in or dump him. From the looks of the audience reaction in the video, there are apparently many in that congregation who are in total agreement with Rev Wright's view of the world. Maybe the covered dish get togethers and other social aspects are a welcome break from the hateful sermons.

The link goes to a 13 March 2008 Good Morning America segment on this pastor's message. Video at the bottom.
The Raw Story | ABC: Is former Reverend a liability for Obama?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Dex:
This is not about "religion" or a "religious test" and those who say it is either don't understand the issue or are being disingenuous.

It's about Afrocentricity.

How about Christian Identity - would you vote for a Christian Identity adherent if you otherwise liked his/her policies & style? Would it not be an issue?

I looked into this long before it became a media issue - BO is not just a casual attender in the audience at this church - he is deeply involved with Pastor Wright on a personal level and has said as much himself.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Mmm, hmm, I think Gumby is right, but hey, if everybody who wasn't going to vote for Obama anyway has now loudly proclaimed how this incident has helped them "make up their mind" that's cool. Or is it just a tempting point to start a lobbying campaign with? I mean, really, none of you have a close friend or relative who's said things that might embarrass you? Don't you think if he was preaching this kind of stuff every weekend they'd have more than 2 quotes over the last 5 years to freak out about? Meanwhile Michael Savage gets on the radio every night and says Barack HUSSEIN Obama every night with impunity.