Patio project

lazygood4nothinbum said:
40 below huh? wow, i've been gardening for a long time but i don't know of anything that will live on the surface of mars. i didn't even know people can survive that. well, fortunately you've some lovely english bond bare brickwork to enjoy.

So, show us your garden. :)

REWahoo! said:
You two either take it outside :bat: or get a room. :-*

didn't you hear martha? it's 40 below. if they take it outside it'll break off.

Martha said:
So, show us your garden. :)

i've posted pics before but an opportunity to show off my garden? sure. (it's rather extensive so can only show in pieces).

here is front. currently redoing. replacing pines along road to give more set-back for clean-up of storm debris & decrease possible cause of liability for when i close up house to travel more over the next few years. will replace with a hedge (10 feet back) of buddha belly bamboo framed in sunburst & golden hawaiian.

Attachments

• File0026.jpg
    File0026.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 52
here's the buddha belly and after that a pic of side garden.

i'd like to have more flowering stuff like you and mrs. cut-throat have but i've such a canopy overhead that only limited sunlight makes it to the garden floor. instead, for color i use various crotons and other stuff with colorful leaves, different shades of green and i utilize lots of alternating textures.

Attachments

• buddha belly.jpg
    buddha belly.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 48
  • side yard.jpg
    side yard.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 47
here was wolf-puppy in the chamaedorea (some people call it bamboo palm but it is not bamboo) and neanthe bella (sort of a mini bamboo palm).

Attachments

• File0029.jpg
    File0029.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 40
lazygood4nothinbum said:
here's the buddha belly and after that a pic of side garden.

Nice Buddha Belly. Mine are not quite as rounded but are pretty young. I have a nice stand of gracilis textilis which in the past rain put up 11 new culms per plant.

i'd like to have more flowering stuff like you and mrs. cut-throat have but i've such a canopy overhead that only limited sunlight makes it to the garden floor. instead, for color i use various crotons and other stuff with colorful leaves, different shades of green and i utilize lots of alternating textures.

You can get a coleus mix which might be nice - yellow, burgundy, green all premixed and love the shade. Red-button ginger is another I like.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Nice Buddha Belly. Mine are not quite as rounded but are pretty young. I have a nice stand of gracilis textilis which in the past rain put up 11 new culms per plant.

You can get a coleus mix which might be nice - yellow, burgundy, green all premixed and love the shade. Red-button ginger is another I like.

ya doc, they get more roundy with age, like so many of my peers. love the textilis. was gonna get some but i ran out of room. might have to start planting in the neighbor's yards or get that acre on hawaii real soon.

i've got some ginger. one that makes your hand smell like candy when you rub it. also like the coleaus. i'd stayed away as it wasn't hardy enough to withstand the wolf. and now that he's gone i have to really push myself to keep up the gardening. not enjoying it so much anymore so i plant now mostly to maintain privacy against encroaching minimansions. and bamboo is just ideal for that.

CT, I really envy the potting bench. I don't have room for one.

Lazy, your side garden is beautiful. I like those southern, lush shade gardens like you have. Still having cat problems?

Hey, I have to get into this game. Here is my back yard (sorry no sun, it has been raining for days). The patio surface is bluestone on a sand base with bluestone dust between the stones. The reason for the fences around the garden areas is a pair of Golden Retrievers who believe the garden is their property. We are redesigning the gardens at our weekend place. Maybe I should post here for design ideas.

Attachments

• patio.jpg
    patio.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 44
Martha said:
Lazy, your side garden is beautiful. I like those southern, lush shade gardens like you have.   Still having cat problems?

thank you. it is really amazing & fun to have this little slice of jungle so close to downtown. i get compliments on it all the time. and thanx for asking about the cats. problem solved. only now two neighbors have stopped talking to me. so with my new found peace, i guess i got some quiet too. even better.

apparently, given our new surge in population growth and recent redevelopment, these free-range cats has been becoming an infestation all around town. so much so that our latest newsletter, hand delivered to each resident, contained the following article:

Sec. 4-28. Running at large.
(a) No person owning or having possession, charge, custody or control of any dog or cat shall cause or allow the dog or cat to stray, run or in any manner be at large in or upon any public street, sidewalk or park or on private property of others without the express or implied consent of the owner of such property
(b) All dogs and cats found running at large in the City shall be picked up and impounded by county animal control and, wherever possible, notice of the impounding shall be given as soon as practical to the owner of such dog or cat.

donheff said:
Hey, I have to get into this game. Here is my back yard (sorry no sun, it has been raining for days)....Maybe I should post here for design ideas.

also very nice. i like the white, brown and--what seems in the picture-- black with the splashes of color. i did my kitchen like that. have you ever set fire in the chimney? one of my neighbors recently built a fire pit in his garden. i like that stuff but my ground cover is mostly pine needles so i'd be real nervous about something like that here.

Back
Top Bottom