Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
if god hadn't wanted me to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

besides, look in the human mouth--canines! them babies are not for grinding veggies. I didn't claw my way up the evolutionary chain to eat turnips!
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
shiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 673
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

As a vegetarian (who tries my best to avoid renit laden cheese) I wish people wouldn't eat meat, but I know that is not going to happen.

What I have reduced my wishes to is this: folks would think about how the animal lived while it was alive. Was it in a pature eating grass as cows were meant to or in a feedlot eating grain (which is a modern thing) while being pumped full of antibiotics due to the various infections it is getting from living in its own filth.

I recently learned of how awful egg laying hens are treated, so I'm eating less eggs and only ones that are from a reliably cage free farm.

I know that my opinions aren't popular here, but hey, thats just me.
__________________

__________________
I'm made of atoms, you're made of atoms, and we're all in this together. Ben Lee
shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 166
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny

What I have reduced my wishes to is this: folks would think about how the animal lived while it was alive. Was it in a pature eating grass as cows were meant to or in a feedlot eating grain (which is a modern thing) while being pumped full of antibiotics due to the various infections it is getting from living in its own filth.

I recently learned of how awful egg laying hens are treated, so I'm eating less eggs and only ones that are from a reliably cage free farm.

I know that my opinions aren't popular here, but hey, thats just me.
Shiny, your opinions are popular here. I am amazed how few people seem to realise the impact the industrialisation of food has had and how little is known about the effect on our health.

Who was the genius who decided to feed ground up carcasses to beef cattle for a little extra profit?
__________________
nil illegitimus carborundum
F M All is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Who was the genius who decided to feed ground up carcasses to beef cattle for a little extra profit?
Probably a financial advisor. That's what they do in between killing babies and stealing old peoples' money.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 607
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Shiny, your opinions are popular here. I am amazed how few people seem to realise the impact the industrialisation of food has had and how little is known about the effect on our health.
I think the general reaction people have here is more of an anti-PETA reaction than anything. It's just so hard to identify with the PETA people, at least the ones that you hear on TV. I definitely think that they hurt their cause.

I'm not a vegetarian but I try and avoid meat as much as possible. I really like eating fish though, especially sushi.
__________________
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram
We had a PETA protest in our little town last week by 2 "naked" gals. The police had to come to the place to get the gawkers to move on & keep traffic moving.




KFC doesn't raise chickens, it just fries them.
Interesting that there are two guys just standing there in the cold...."observing" the protest.
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
As a vegetarian (who tries my best to avoid renit laden cheese) I wish people wouldn't eat meat, but I know that is not going to happen.

What I have reduced my wishes to is this: folks would think about how the animal lived while it was alive. Was it in a pature eating grass as cows were meant to or in a feedlot eating grain (which is a modern thing) while being pumped full of antibiotics due to the various infections it is getting from living in its own filth.

I recently learned of how awful egg laying hens are treated, so I'm eating less eggs and only ones that are from a reliably cage free farm.

I know that my opinions aren't popular here, but hey, thats just me.
I am not a vegetarian, but applaud people who make that decision - (as long as that decision is consistent with not wearing leather etc).

I am just finishing up "The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals ". Its a good book if you are at all interested in what the "industrialization" has done to the America food supply -and not coincidentally related to the obesity and diabetes epedemic we are facing in this country. ( if you have an open mind, you just might decide that the cheapest food you can buy, may not in fact be the least expensive.)

If you are not a vegetarian, but care about how animals are treated -(even if they are eventually being butchered) - you should go out of your way to buy grass fed/free range, local and sustainably grown meat when possible from a farm in your area.

If you don't care how animals are treated, don't care how much antibiotics you are ingesting because the feedlots pumped the animals full of meds to keep them alive while being fed food they weren't intended to eat (like chicken crap for example), and generally do not care about the environment, or preserving open spaces and supporting small farms...then by all means keep stuffing your throats with the cheapest food you can find at Walmart or Costco.

I'm no PETA member either...since retiring from programming I farm...I raise lamb, chickens and next will be adding pork and possibly beef - as I write this I have a load of lambs in the back of the pickup that I just picked up from the slaughterhouse after dropping them off last week.

And BTW, I have no idea why the the author of the OP's article thought for a second that PETA would help rescue animals on the way to the slaughterhouse....whats next, asking Operation Rescue to give snow-bound pregnant teenagers a ride to the abortion clinic? What a dumb article.
__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Probably a financial advisor. That's what they do in between killing babies and stealing old peoples' money.
__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
CCdaCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 887
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny

What I have reduced my wishes to is this: folks would think about how the animal lived while it was alive. Was it in a pature eating grass as cows were meant to or in a feedlot eating grain (which is a modern thing) while being pumped full of antibiotics due to the various infections it is getting from living in its own filth.

I recently learned of how awful egg laying hens are treated, so I'm eating less eggs and only ones that are from a reliably cage free farm.

I know that my opinions aren't popular here, but hey, thats just me.
I agree there's gotta be a middle ground here somewhere. Instead of the PETA protestors raising a stink... what am I supposed to do other than "not eat at KFC"? I don't even eat there, but if I did, what's the alternative?

I'm not convinced that egg laying hens care how they're treated. But, I agree they should be able to see the sun, stretch their legs, etc. Maybe that's currently not the case.

-CC
__________________
"There's those thinkin' more or less, less is more, but if less is more, how you keepin' score?
It means for every point you make, your level drops. Kinda like you're startin' from the top..." "Society" - Eddie Vedder
CCdaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

>>I'm not convinced that egg laying hens care how they're treated.



I don't know, seems to me that even those these chickens are probably not capable of much thinking...I bet they wish they were not kept in little cages like this their entire lives, with their beaks cut-off so they don't eat their "cell-mates" out of sheer boredom.
__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

I'm an omnivore!!! I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first!!!

When I go to buy my slab of cow, I'm not going to ask for it's biography or family history. Personally, I don't care where it was raised or what it was fed, only that it was raised and fed. Same with the cluckers, gobblers, oinkers and the rest.

The only time it might bother me, would be if I knew that the cow (or whatever) had been raised (almost as a pet) by a kid in 4H. I mean if I knew I was eating little Jimmy's Blue Ribbon angus, that he's raised from a pup calf, that might bother me. On second thought.....screw Jimmy.....I'm gonna char his cow on the grill with onions and mushrooms!!!

And so as not to offend PITA PETA or vegheads....I'll eat my veggies, too!
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I'm an omnivore!!! I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first!!!

When I go to buy my slab of cow, I'm not going to ask for it's biography or family history. Personally, I don't care where it was raised or what it was fed, only that it was raised and fed. Same with the cluckers, gobblers, oinkers and the rest.

The only time it might bother me, would be if I knew that the cow (or whatever) had been raised (almost as a pet) by a kid in 4H. I mean if I knew I was eating little Jimmy's Blue Ribbon angus, that he's raised from a pup calf, that might bother me. On second thought.....screw Jimmy.....I'm gonna char his cow on the grill with onions and mushrooms!!!

And so as not to offend PITA PETA or vegheads....I'll eat my veggies, too!
Grass fed is much better than grain fed (at least for ruminants).
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Grass fed is much better than grain fed (at least for ruminants).
I prefer the taste of grain fed over grass fed......however, I'll gladly char either!
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Interesting that there are two guys just standing there in the cold...."observing" the protest.
Nah, they're reading the poster behind the girls-- just making sure that they appreciate both sides of the issue, so to speak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
I am just finishing up "The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals ". Its a good book if you are at all interested in what the "industrialization" has done to the America food supply -and not coincidentally related to the obesity and diabetes epedemic we are facing in this country. ( if you have an open mind, you just might decide that the cheapest food you can buy, may not in fact be the least expensive.)
If you are not a vegetarian, but care about how animals are treated -(even if they are eventually being butchered) - you should go out of your way to buy grass fed/free range, local and sustainably grown meat when possible from a farm in your area.
Reading that book and "Fast Food Nation" have dulled (but not quenched) my carnivorous urges. I eat a lot more tofu & fish, though.

It's hard to eat the sustainable products when places like Whole Food are exploiting their suppliers just as much as Piggly Wiggly exploits the meat packers.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

It's hard to eat the sustainable products when places like Whole Food are exploiting their suppliers just as much as Piggly Wiggly exploits the meat packers.

Absolutely it is - and you could drive yourself crazy trying to do it perfectly. I don't know what its like in Hawaii, but in New England I am driving distance from a lot small farms and if I chose to, could probably live on the "100 mile diet" if I wanted to (but some things, like coffee for example), would be a real problem.
__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,275
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie

The only time it might bother me, would be if I knew that the cow (or whatever) had been raised (almost as a pet) by a kid in 4H. I mean if I knew I was eating little Jimmy's Blue Ribbon angus, that he's raised from a pup calf, that might bother me. On second thought.....screw Jimmy.....I'm gonna char his cow on the grill with onions and mushrooms!!!
Goonie.... you must not have had meat from a 4H grown cow.... they are GREAT... these cows are individually taken care of... almost spoon fed... their meat is sooooo good... I wish my BIL would get in another syndicate and buy a cow at the Rodeo....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Goonie.... you must not have had meat from a 4H grown cow.... they are GREAT... these cows are individually taken care of... almost spoon fed... their meat is sooooo good... I wish my BIL would get in another syndicate and buy a cow at the Rodeo....
Oh yeah....been there, done that. And you are QUITE correct!!! We have the 4H fairgrounds real close, and they also auction off State Fair winners here in town each year. Some of my friends while growing up...and now their kids....were/are in 4H and raise there beasts.....put them thru competitions....and then many times take them straight to the meat locker for cuttin' & coolin'.....Mmmmmm.......Goooood!
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Outtahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,677
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

I remember my grandparents had chickens that they raised for eating, they took them to someone to butcher them, none of us grandkids would eat chicken after that for months.

Same thing happened with a neighbor, they had two steer that they kept for meat and they had a couple of ponies that myself and two friends would exercise for them (we were 12yrs old). After they butchered the steer they gave our parents some of the meat, all the kids in the neighborhood knew these two animals and refused to eat beef for months.

Could I eat a 4H project, yes as long as it was a vegetable or fruit

__________________

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

I keep it pretty simple. If it tastes good, I eat it. I don't want animals to suffer, but I don't own a farm either.

Example: I buy cage free eggs...but I don't really give a **** about the chickens, the eggs just taste better.
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
lazygood4nothinbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,895
Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

ever since i stopped eating meat (about 10 years ago) i can yell "mooooo" out the window when i'm passing a cow and feel completely guilt free. i may be going 60 mph but i really feel like we connect now.
__________________

__________________
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone familiar with income tax treatment of net unrealized appreciation (NUA) chinaco FIRE and Money 2 03-10-2007 07:33 PM
For folks getting a health care benefit in retirement....what are the details... maddythebeagle Other topics 6 08-08-2006 09:42 PM
Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human beings? Cut-Throat Other topics 92 05-28-2006 09:57 PM
Anyone Familiar with Retired Investor .com? Hydroman FIRE and Money 5 05-19-2006 01:55 PM
Howdy folks! Michael Moore Hi, I am... 3 05-21-2005 04:50 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.