Phone solicitations going robotic

Thanks for posting this, axtec. These idiots have been annoying me on both home and cell phones. Now if they would just find the mega-idiots who send the spam text messages...

Sorry to open an old thread, but I think you'll like this article published today about a robocall scam being shut down. I'm sure we've all been called by "Rachel, from Card Services".

Hot dog! I'm excited. I was getting really annoyed with "Rachel".

From the article,
Companies are no longer allowed to robocall you, unless they have your written permission.
I still receive about a dozen robocalls each week, despite being on the no call list and not giving written permission.

I don't expect this to stop. I am a registered member of a major political party who votes in every election, and apparently that gives politicians implicit permission to robocall me constantly. I have health insurance and ditto for many health related businesses. I don't have any credit cards but I frequently get calls related to credit cards (though the ones from Rachel will cease, apparently). I hang up on all of them.

Last edited:
I still receive about a dozen robocalls each week, despite being on the no call list and not giving written permission. I don't expect this to stop.
Same here.

There are a number of call blocker apps for smart cell phones. They do a good job of getting rid of the robocalls. Most are free but the one I use is EZBlock for 99 cents. very easy to use and effective.

Last edited:
Rachel may be gone, but her twin sister called me just yesterday. Same voice, but can't remember if she identified herself.

Well, to be fair, though the article mentioned "Rachel" and "Card Services", it is unclear if that was the "company" which was actually shut down. The entity mentioned by name is AFL Financial Services / F&F Payment Processing.

Just got a another one. This time I held for a person and asked why they call when it's against the law to call people on the do not call list. She said "it's not against the law for your credit card company to call you." When I asked for the identify of her company.....click. The call didn't begin as Rachel, but the same voice or so it seemed.

These calls will never go away.

I don't expect this to stop. I am a registered member of a major political party who votes in every election, and apparently that gives politicians implicit permission to robocall me constantly.
Well, due to the urgent and important nature of the information which has to be imparted to their electorate, politicians somehow managed to exempt themselves from this legislative requirement.

During even-numbered years we pretty much leave our ringers turned off 24/7.

I am a registered member of a major political party who votes in every election, and apparently that gives politicians implicit permission to robocall me constantly.
The way they wrote the law when you gave them money you also gave them permission to call you. It established a business relationship.

The way they wrote the law when you gave them money you also gave them permission to call you. It established a business relationship.

Money? Who gave them money? I'm too [-]cheap[/-] LBYM to give money to politicians. I was asked when I registered to vote whether or not I'd like to register as R or D, and I get to vote in the corresponding primary; that's my only relationship with them. This almost seems like a penalty that is imposed upon us for exercising our voting rights.

I got one today asking for my son by name. I asked who was calling and they told me that it was for a free home energy survey. I told them that he was not the homeowner and said good bye.

I do find that the number of these calls is on the rise again. Not sure there is any good answer.

Money? Who gave them money? I'm too [-]cheap[/-] LBYM to give money to politicians. I was asked when I registered to vote whether or not I'd like to register as R or D, and I get to vote in the corresponding primary; that's my only relationship with them. This almost seems like a penalty that is imposed upon us for exercising our voting rights.
My mistake, ND doesn't have voter registration. I assumed you had joined one of the parties.

My mistake, ND doesn't have voter registration. I assumed you had joined one of the parties.

No problem! I had forgotten that these processes are handled differently in different states, also.

There are rules even for political robocalls. It's sad that the politicians ignore these rules.

I would possibly be willing to give up voting if it stopped political robocalls. If it eliminated jury duty, definitely.

One of the Ooma features I really like is personal blacklists. Only of value for repeat calls from the same number, though. There is also a "community" blacklist which is supposed to catch calls from known telepeddelers but we have not turned it on yet. Our black list calls go to voicemail without ringing. IIRC blacklist calls can go to voicemail without ringing, or ring forever (to the caller -- you do not hear it), or just get dropped.

Sorry to open an old thread, but I think you'll like this article published today about a robocall scam being shut down. I'm sure we've all been called by "Rachel, from Card Services".

Top 5 Things to Know About Robocalling - ABC News

I just got a robo-call less than 2 minutes ago from "Angie, at Card Member Services", and it was a definitely MALE voice! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I guess they had to hire some guys for EEO reasons or something. Anyway, I just had to post about it. Cracks me up. :2funny:

Back
Top Bottom