Photo Management

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Recently I made backup DVD of all my photos, and discovered that I've taken over 7,000 photos since I got my first digital camera in 1998. I count eight photo albums in the bookcase (and that's just post 1991),

Albums.jpg

I've got photos on the wall,

OnWall.jpg

and yesterday I discovered a big box labelled "Old Photos."

How do you deal with all your photos? I'm talking mostly about regular "memory lane" and "wow, we sure looked young then" type photos.

How do you deal with all your photos? I'm talking mostly about regular "memory lane" and "wow, we sure looked young then" type photos.
A lot of photo albums and a lot of "Whaddya DO all day?!?" time.

When we're researching a project and looking at photos we tend to go to the hard drive. When we're entertaining or showing our kid something we tend to go to the photo albums. So although DVDs and flash drives may be a great backup/transfer tool, the old-fashioned paper still has a place.

If we had to evacuate the house then the albums, negatives, diskettes, & DVDs would probably fill an average car trunk.

Here are my systems:

Pre-Digital Age

The problem in the old days, when you'd get your photos back from the processor was that you'd look at them, and put them in a drawer or box, awaiting the time when you'd carefully arrange them in a photo album. The result was boxes full of unsorted photos.

Here's how I solved this: I bought the slip-in type photo albums, and had a rule: when the prints came back, you couldn't look at them until you sat down with the album, slipped the ones you wanted to keep into the sleeves, and archived the rest.

AnalogAlbum.jpg

That system worked well. Then came digital cameras.

Digital Album Age

Since I felt that periodically looking through pictures on the couch with family was more fun than sitting in front of the computer, I used a free app called Album Builder to create pages with photos on them:

digitalalbum.jpg

But this had the same problem mentioned above: you often don't get around to printing out the pictures.

Digital Slide Show
The first DVD player we got handles jpg files (perhaps they all do now?). So I periodically copy pictures to a DVD, and we have a slide show. This is especially good if there are more than two people viewing, since everyone can see.

Although it also suffers from the problem of not getting around to putting the pictures on DVD, it's a lot easier to just drag and drop images than it is to put together individual album pages and print them out. Also, since I'm retired I have more time for this.

This is the system I currently use, but it's not ideal.

General Image File System

I only keep a fraction of the pictures we take. Any files that I save are given a descriptive name such as "JeffAndJoannaOutsideHouse.jpg." I keep them in one folder, with subfolders such as Firewood, Family, Fishing, Surfing, Music, Scenery, Waikiki2007, etc. I annually take this folder and rename it something like "Photos2007," move it to a different hard drive, and start again. In addition to scheduled backups, I also make backup DVDs with all photos and store them offsite.

This system works pretty well. I can usually find an old picture based on a guess at what I called it and/or the approximate date on which it was taken.

Photo management is one of my post FIRE projects...

I put my photos on the my home computer initially, but later delete the ones over 3 years old. Keeping thousands of photos on the hard drive is just too much.

Every 6 months I back them up onto an external hard drive (500 G) that I keep off-site.

Once a year (usually on January 1), I copy the past year photos onto a CD that I keep at home for viewing and I also make a copy of that CD that I keep off-site.

So I keep 3 copies of all photos along with whatever photos I decide to keep on the home computer hard drive. I only print out photos I want to frame or give to people. I've used Costco and Welcome to Clark for good quality cheap prints when I need them.

Photo management is one of my post FIRE projects...
I dunno about that. Five years into FIRE I'm just as organized as when I was working, but now I lack an excuse for the lack of organization.

I'd probably get more sorting, filing, & cleaning done if I was sitting in an office...

I dunno about that. Five years into FIRE I'm just as organized as when I was working, but now I lack an excuse for the lack of organization.

I'd probably get more sorting, filing, & cleaning done if I was sitting in an office...

So apparently I have unreasonable expectations in FIRE - just like now - can't get it all done. :rolleyes: Oh well. Still, I rather be FIRE'd.

We use Picasa. Free and decent. I really like the "collage" feature.

Picasa

I loaded the "lame" software that came with the camera. It sucks, it makes it difficult to load photos into e-mails,etc. Will this work better?

Thanks...............

Try it...its free. Pretty sure it has a feature to say 'email this' or 'email these' if you make a film strip of multiple photos.

Basic photo editing, organization, layouts, etc. Has some pretty cool little features like the 'timeline' and collages.

Back
Top Bottom