Photo Printer Help...........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A little help please?? Confusion has set in, as we have decided to forgo using our HP Inkjet to print our digital pictures.

We have looked at Epson, HP, and Canon. We would like a portable one if possible, but would also like to be able to print the occassional 8x10 also.

I like the 6-8 cartridge plug models, as the color seems more like you would get from a photo lab..........

Oh yeah, being frugal means I gotta keep it under $200.........instructions from "the boss"......... ;) (DW)

Epson has had pigment inks for quite some time, and these produce longer-lasting photo prints. Canon recently introduced a new line of inks/printers that are said to have 100Yr image life.

I am a semi-pro (digital) photographer and I use a Canon printer for proofs, but never for a print I expect to sell. If I am selling it or plan for it to last many years, only a real photo-lab print will do.

renegade said:
I am a semi-pro (digital) photographer and I use a Canon printer for proofs, but never for a print I expect to sell. If I am selling it or plan for it to last many years, only a real photo-lab print will do.
I am definitely an amateur but I like messing around with digital images. I have a pretty decent Canon printer but when it croaks I wonder if it would be worth replacing it. I view most images online and only print the few I may want to hang up for a while. It seems more cost effective to use the online processing services. Do you think the cheap outfits like Shutterfly do a credible job for typical 1-2M jpegs or will a professional outfit produce a noticeable difference? I always assumed the professionals were for people who calibrate their screens and labor in detail over very high resolution images.

In case I produce some images that I think merit prominent display can you recommend any good professional services?

donheff said:
Do you think the cheap outfits like Shutterfly do a credible job for typical 1-2M jpegs....

I haven't used Shutterfly, but I do use Snapfish, and they do a very good job.....and cheap!!!

I just had some 5x7's and 8x10's done a couple weeks ago, and they came out very nice!!! :)

I had an Epson photo printer that was dissapointing and is sitting in the floor now waiting for my next trip to the recycling center. My intention was to go solely with a service - was using Wal-Mart because I could get them next day for 19 cents a print, same day for a little more.

However, with an artist wife, two kids with school projects and my own amateur photography hobbying, there was still a need/desire to be able to print photos at home. Local radio station has a computer guy show on weekends and after listening to a show that was dedicated to photo printers I bought a Canon Pixma ip6600D. Less than $200 bucks, variety of photo sizes, drinks a lot less ink than the Epson did, and print quality is great. It's not what I consider large, but may not be what you think of when you think portable. Looks like about 14"x10"x6" - with the ability to fold everything up so it can be a basic square shape when not in use.

Lots of our stuff still goes to Wal-Mart, but rush jobs and creative work gets done here on the Canon. I bought PhotoShop Elements and I get a lot of good comments on some of the things I have been doing. My aunt recently saw a photo of her parents that started with a photo that she had made years ago by taking of a copy of the original 1930 photo (her thumb was visible on the edge). She demanded to know where I had gotten my copy and didn't believe it was from her photo until I showed her how I did it.

The quality of the prints that this printer produces is as good as anything I've gotten from Wal-Mart. The only drawback is that you have to let them dry for 24 hours before you handle them, put them in a frame, etc. Anything less than that and the finish tends to be too fragile to stand up to contact without smearing, or otherwise ruining the image.

renegade said:

It took a little experimenting before I found the right combination of paper, printer settings and software to get it right. I was very surprised to find that which program I chose to hit the print button from made a big difference in how the prints turned out. I can use PhotoShop Elements to create the image and then use three different programs to open the file and print it without any further editing and the three prints all come out looking differently. Basic photos without editing printed here on the Canon or at Wal-Mart look nearly identical (some differences in hues). I am going to experiment by printing one of my edited photos here and then taking it on disc to the local photo lab and have them make a print so I can compare the two.

Craigslist is flooded with printers. For example:

Nov-26 Epson Photo Printer RX600 - $95 (Hollywood/L.A.) pic

Nov-26 New in box Cannon Pixma i1700 Photo Printer $40 - $40 (Anaheim St/Obispo Ave) pic

Nov-26 BRAND NEW Photo All-in-One Inkjet Color Printer with accessories - $175 (Redondo Beach) pic

Nov-26 NEW SONY DPP-FP30 DIGITAL PHOTO PRINTER - $85 (IRVINE) pic

Nov-26 Dell Photo Printer Inkjet 720 - $30 (Hollywood Hills)

Nov-26 Epson R340 Stylus Photo Printer - $100 (Cerritos) pic

Nov-26 Canon Pixma iP6600d photo printer - $80 (Eagle Rock) pic

Nov-25 NEW 3.3 GHZ Computer T3522 + 15" LCD + PHOTO PRINTER + EXTRAS!!!!!!!!! - $450 (UCLA) pic

Nov-25 BRAND NEW SEALED HP Photosmart 8050 Color Inkjet Photo Printer w/ LCD - $50 (El Monte) pic

Nov-25 Canon PIXMA™ Photo Printer (IP1600) (Los Feliz/Hollywood)

Nov-25 "Canon" Picture Photo Printer CP-200 Never-Used, New - $30 (Studio City) pic

Nov-25 Epson Stylus Photo Inkjet Printer Model 870 - $49 (Marina Del Rey) pic

Nov-25 Epson R220 Photo Printer (WLA)

Nov-25 HP Deskjet 5440 Photo Printer (Brand New in the Box) - $35 (Woodland Hills) pic

Nov-24 HP Photosmart 7550 Color Inkjet Photo Printer with LCD screen - $90 (Burbank) pic

Nov-24 Photo Printer- HP - $80 (90035) pic

Nov-24 Photo Printer - $80 (Culver City)

Nov-24 NEW Canon Pixma iP 1600 Photo Printer - $40 (West LA) pic

Nov-23 Epson Stylus CX3810 Photo Printer/Scanner/Copier-NEW!!!! - $70 (Pasadena) pic

Nov-23 Amazing Dye Sub Photo Printer - Olympus P400 - $50 (Northridge) pic

Nov-23 15" Compaq presario & canon photo in one printer - $600 (Hawthorne)

Nov-21 Photo Printer - $80 (Culver City)

Nov-21 HP Photo Printer Photosmart 325 xtras - $45 (Beverly Hills) pic

Nov-20 Brand New HP Photosmart GoGo Photo Studio Compact Color Printer - $49 (Canoga Park, WoodLand Hills) pic

Nov-20 Epson Stylus Photo EX Printer - $50 (the Valley nr. Burbank)

Nov-20 Brand New In Box Canon Photo Printer w/Cartridges - $40 (los angeles, hacienda heights 91745) pic

Nov-20 Epson Stylus Photo 780 InkJet Color Printer - $50 (Eagle Rock) pic

Goonie said:
I haven't used Shutterfly, but I do use Snapfish...

One thing I forgot to add above.....with Snapfish you can also do "One Hour" photos to your local Walgreens! So if you're in a hurry (which I never am :D ) you have that option, too.

Leonidas said:
My aunt recently saw a photo of her parents that started with a photo that she had made years ago by taking of a copy of the original 1930 photo (her thumb was visible on the edge). She demanded to know where I had gotten my copy and didn't believe it was from her photo until I showed her how I did it.
Photoshop is amazing at fixing old photos. The cloning tool can clean up all kinds of damage. For those who wan't photoshop capabilities but don't want to fork out the dough, the GIMP is a powerful open source substitute - for windows: http://www.wingimp.org/mainpage.php

I have used several photo printers including HP, Epson, Canon. I currently use the Canon Pixma iP4000 which I am very pleased with.

Great photos with the canon glossy photo paper.

It can also print 2-sided. And fast B&W on regular paper.

It is not portable, but luggable, light weight about the size of a toaster oven. The printer openings are closed up nicely when the thing is folded up.

I take about 5000 photos a year and print about 10 to 20 every week. Most folks believe the photos from this printer are professionally done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom