Plasma or LCD

As a long time videophile and all-around tech geek who's been into home-theater since the early days of the LaserDisc (remember those?), I'd like to chime in here with some quick bullet points regarding the "plasma vs. LCD" dilemma, without going into much technical detail:

Plasmas:
- Much, MUCH better all-around for movies and sports.
- Offer a more natural, "film-like" and "smooth" picture quality, with terrific black levels, flesh-tones, contrast and color.
- Deep, inky, REAL blacks. No dark grays as with LCD's.
- Great refresh rate (ideal for fast-paced content, like sports or action movies). LCD's can't hold a candle to plasmas in this category, either, even with their ridiculously artificial "1000000 refresh rate" marketing BS.
- They'll look pretty much the same from almost any viewing angle. Try this at any store with an LCD.
- They DO consume more power. About twice as much. This will generate some heat depending on the size of the screen and the size of your room.
- They do have VERY slight "image retention" effect if you display a static image (like a network logo) for long amounts of time, but I have not seen this issue in most contemporary model (anything after 2008).

LCDs:
- They were originally designed as computer monitors, so they are great for STATIC images, like graphics and text. That's why this would be the ideal option if you play mostly video games. For pretty much everything else, they have a noticeable "artificial", overly bright look to them.
- They consume less power. They are lighter. BUT... they are usually more expensive. However, if you are the type that leaves the TV on ALL DAY LONG and are planning to install it in an overly bright area of your house, near a window, go with LCD.

I have a Panasonic 65" plasma and I love it. It uses about 500 watts. A similar LCD would use about 275 watts. But until they catch-up with image quality, I'll remain a plasma advocate.

Hope that helped.

I have to agree with Karloff. Plasma is definitely better in term of picture quality but consumes more power and has a reflection problem if put in a bright room.

We did a lot of looking at HDTVs, and we thought the plasmas looked better in the larger TVs. We got a 55" Panasonic VIERA plasma.

Audrey

I would also vote for plasma based on picture quality. However, they are far more power hungry than a modern LCD.

Wowee. Thanks so much for all of the feedback. Hubby's birthday is in December and he knows that this is coming. He has no problem in waiting for me to get the best price I can. A 60 inch set is way to large for the space the set is going in. We will be sitting at least 8 to 10 feet directly in front of set. The room gets very bright sun in the afternoons but that is really not a problem since we rarely if ever watch TV during the day. Thanks for the tip about waiting to buy during the Christmas season I may find some deals then.

From the reviews I've seen, that set has an excellent reputation. You did good.
Oh my husband is a stickler for top notch audio/video equipment! And very thorough in his research. It's one of the areas we don't cut corners, although I did manage to talk him down from a 60".

Audrey

Wowee. Thanks so much for all of the feedback. Hubby's birthday is in December and he knows that this is coming. He has no problem in waiting for me to get the best price I can. A 60 inch set is way to large for the space the set is going in. We will be sitting at least 8 to 10 feet directly in front of set. The room gets very bright sun in the afternoons but that is really not a problem since we rarely if ever watch TV during the day. Thanks for the tip about waiting to buy during the Christmas season I may find some deals then.
We are sitting about 10 feet in front of our 55" TV. This may seem close, but if you look at the tables, for our distance, 55 to 60" is the correct TV size.

Another issue with a large TV, is that you need to have it on a lower stand, so the center of the TV is at eye level when seated to watch. Many people end up with with the TV set up too high.

Audrey

A 60 inch set is way to large for the space the set is going in. We will be sitting at least 8 to 10 feet directly in front of set. The room gets very bright sun in the afternoons but that is really not a problem since we rarely if ever watch TV during the day.

We typically sit around 8-9 feet from the tv and a 42" is definitely adequate. Much larger might get a little uncomfortable. I just stood back about 8-9' from the tv in the store to see what size was best. If you get it too large, you will see more pixelation up close. Particularly if you get a 720p (which we have and love).

We have a couple of Samsung 40" LCD TVs at the moment. Next go-around, who knows?

I'm just coming out of the dark ages. I am currently watching the Saints game on a 1992 RCA Home Theater tv. Hard to believe this thing still has such a good picture, considering the age and technology. But, just ordered a 32" LG LCD TV from Amazon.com. Almost bought it at Walmart for $375 including tax but Amazon had it $45 cheaper, delivered to my house. Amazing these things have come down so much in price.

This size should be good for my small den/office where I stay most of the time. My old one is 27" and the picture seems plenty big for the room. And if I move in 2-3 years, it will be a good size for a bedroom. Can't wait to get it, a buddy of mine has one and it has a great picture.

So there goes the budget. I guess I will have to cut back on Christmas presents for the family this year.:LOL:

Wow, got my new LG LCD TV today and it is like night and day over my old RCA TV. And the 32" turned out to be just the right size for my small den. I will chalk 2010 up as the year I got up to date on tech stuff. Bought a new Nikon digital camera in the spring, a new laptop in the summer and now a new TV.

Maybe next year I will break down and replace my 8 year old pair of Adidas hiking shoes.;)

You could do that - or spring for some of that indoor plumbing everyone is raving about...
We were at an e-waste dropoff last weekend and spouse was wincing at all the 29" CRT TVs on a pallet. She would've taken the entire thing home if they'd have let her.

You could do that - or spring for some of that indoor plumbing everyone is raving about...

You could combine that plumbing project with a slightly used big screen TV...

big_TV.jpg

If you decide to go the LCD route, I would pay a bit more for the LED. They are thinner, lighter, more efficient and have a better picture than a LCD.

We just purchased the Samsung 40" LED and really enjoy it. We also have a couple of older Vizio LCD's and have not given us any problems.

And the winner is...............
Toshiba 55UX600U 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV with Net TV (Black Gloss)
$1199, free delivery. Hubby is in heaven. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Woo hoo, sounds like a great choice! Enjoy

Congrats! I went back and forth on LCD vs plasma recently, too, and ended up with a set very similar in spec to yours. :) Hooray for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals!

Back
Top Bottom