Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The major flaws in both technologies have been worked out, both are quite mature in their technology cycle and should give many years of viewing pleasure. As MB pointed out, the greatest plasma shortcoming is energy consumption. The greatest LCD shortcoming is off-angle viewing – the brightness falls off sharply as you move off to the sides. If just one or two viewers sitting directly in front, this should not be an issue.
Our plasma's viewing angle is great. Clear at any angle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't put any importance on what I see or hear in a showroom. The lighting, the source video, the TV's calibration are ordinarily outside your control, and they all make a very large difference to how good the picture looks. I go by reviews only.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The new plasmas run a lot cooler and use less energy that brands just couple years ago. The backlit LEDs help a lot with color contrast. My friend has a 47 inch plasma and loves it. I guess 20,000 hours or so is the norm...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #24
gone traveling

I've had both (both 50" sets). As for myself, I perfer the plasma over the LCD, as a personal preference.

Colors/blacks are crisper on the plasma....
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #25

Cattusbabe, it's a killer gift. Way good.

What FD said about plasmas.

Between the two technologies I think the only real showstopper is if there is any significant viewing planned that is at an angle. Either lots of people spread around with some to off to the sides, or the main viewing angle is not directly in front. Otherwise it's gonna be nice.

Do you have a high definition set at home now, and does he watch sports?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

As a long time videophile and all-around tech geek who's been into home-theater since the early days of the LaserDisc (remember those?), I'd like to chime in here with some quick bullet points regarding the "plasma vs. LCD" dilemma, without going into much technical detail:

Plasmas:
- Much, MUCH better all-around for movies and sports.
- Offer a more natural, "film-like" and "smooth" picture quality, with terrific black levels, flesh-tones, contrast and color.
- Deep, inky, REAL blacks. No dark grays as with LCD's.
- Great refresh rate (ideal for fast-paced content, like sports or action movies). LCD's can't hold a candle to plasmas in this category, either, even with their ridiculously artificial "1000000 refresh rate" marketing BS.
- They'll look pretty much the same from almost any viewing angle. Try this at any store with an LCD.
- They DO consume more power. About twice as much. This will generate some heat depending on the size of the screen and the size of your room.
- They do have VERY slight "image retention" effect if you display a static image (like a network logo) for long amounts of time, but I have not seen this issue in most contemporary model (anything after 2008).

LCDs:
- They were originally designed as computer monitors, so they are great for STATIC images, like graphics and text. That's why this would be the ideal option if you play mostly video games. For pretty much everything else, they have a noticeable "artificial", overly bright look to them.
- They consume less power. They are lighter. BUT... they are usually more expensive. However, if you are the type that leaves the TV on ALL DAY LONG and are planning to install it in an overly bright area of your house, near a window, go with LCD.

I have a Panasonic 65" plasma and I love it. It uses about 500 watts. A similar LCD would use about 275 watts. But until they catch-up with image quality, I'll remain a plasma advocate.

Hope that helped.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to agree with Karloff. Plasma is definitely better in term of picture quality but consumes more power and has a reflection problem if put in a bright room.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We did a lot of looking at HDTVs, and we thought the plasmas looked better in the larger TVs. We got a 55" Panasonic VIERA plasma.

Audrey
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #29

I would also vote for plasma based on picture quality. However, they are far more power hungry than a modern LCD.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We got a 55" Panasonic VIERA plasma.
From the reviews I've seen, that set has an excellent reputation. You did good.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wowee. Thanks so much for all of the feedback. Hubby's birthday is in December and he knows that this is coming. He has no problem in waiting for me to get the best price I can. A 60 inch set is way to large for the space the set is going in. We will be sitting at least 8 to 10 feet directly in front of set. The room gets very bright sun in the afternoons but that is really not a problem since we rarely if ever watch TV during the day. Thanks for the tip about waiting to buy during the Christmas season I may find some deals then.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
From the reviews I've seen, that set has an excellent reputation. You did good.
Oh my husband is a stickler for top notch audio/video equipment! And very thorough in his research. It's one of the areas we don't cut corners, although I did manage to talk him down from a 60".

Audrey
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Wowee. Thanks so much for all of the feedback. Hubby's birthday is in December and he knows that this is coming. He has no problem in waiting for me to get the best price I can. A 60 inch set is way to large for the space the set is going in. We will be sitting at least 8 to 10 feet directly in front of set. The room gets very bright sun in the afternoons but that is really not a problem since we rarely if ever watch TV during the day. Thanks for the tip about waiting to buy during the Christmas season I may find some deals then.
We are sitting about 10 feet in front of our 55" TV. This may seem close, but if you look at the tables, for our distance, 55 to 60" is the correct TV size.

Another issue with a large TV, is that you need to have it on a lower stand, so the center of the TV is at eye level when seated to watch. Many people end up with with the TV set up too high.

Audrey
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
A 60 inch set is way to large for the space the set is going in. We will be sitting at least 8 to 10 feet directly in front of set. The room gets very bright sun in the afternoons but that is really not a problem since we rarely if ever watch TV during the day.
We typically sit around 8-9 feet from the tv and a 42" is definitely adequate. Much larger might get a little uncomfortable. I just stood back about 8-9' from the tv in the store to see what size was best. If you get it too large, you will see more pixelation up close. Particularly if you get a 720p (which we have and love).
Old 10-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Article of interest for bargain hunters..
The Associated Press: LCD TV companies see falling prices as demand down

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #36

We have a couple of Samsung 40" LCD TVs at the moment. Next go-around, who knows?

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I'm just coming out of the dark ages. I am currently watching the Saints game on a 1992 RCA Home Theater tv. Hard to believe this thing still has such a good picture, considering the age and technology. But, just ordered a 32" LG LCD TV from Amazon.com. Almost bought it at Walmart for $375 including tax but Amazon had it $45 cheaper, delivered to my house. Amazing these things have come down so much in price.

This size should be good for my small den/office where I stay most of the time. My old one is 27" and the picture seems plenty big for the room. And if I move in 2-3 years, it will be a good size for a bedroom. Can't wait to get it, a buddy of mine has one and it has a great picture.

So there goes the budget. I guess I will have to cut back on Christmas presents for the family this year.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Wow, got my new LG LCD TV today and it is like night and day over my old RCA TV. And the 32" turned out to be just the right size for my small den. I will chalk 2010 up as the year I got up to date on tech stuff. Bought a new Nikon digital camera in the spring, a new laptop in the summer and now a new TV.

Maybe next year I will break down and replace my 8 year old pair of Adidas hiking shoes.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Maybe next year I will break down and replace my 8 year old pair of Adidas hiking shoes.
You could do that - or spring for some of that indoor plumbing everyone is raving about...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You could do that - or spring for some of that indoor plumbing everyone is raving about...
We were at an e-waste dropoff last weekend and spouse was wincing at all the 29" CRT TVs on a pallet. She would've taken the entire thing home if they'd have let her.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote