Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

This might help visualize rents in the City

San Francisco Rents Vary Widely by Neighborhood | KQED News Fix

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She may also want to look at towns like Pleasanton and Dublin in the east bay. These are probably right at the 1 hr commute limit by either car or BART. These are suburbs/bedroom communities that will be much more quiet and less lively than the city or most peninsula towns. I'm sure you can get an apt for a lot less than $2300 in these cities. Castro Valley is a little closer, but if it were my daughter, I'd feel safer for her in Pleasanton, if the east bay lifestyle is more to her liking than the big city. FWIW, we have a home in Tracy, which is about 25-30 miles further east. We no longer live there, but even though we are another 20 miles east of Tracy now, we still do go to Pleasanton to go to the mall and to RV shows etc from time to time. It is a very, ummm, pleasant town.

R

Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked in SF for about 5 years, in the financial district, and lived in San Mateo. I was in the financial industry, so had to be there pretty early and thus drove. However, Cal Train from there is easy as well. San Mateo has a nice downtown area as does Burlingame.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #24

It might be useful to look at the citydata website, both the maps and the forum, for more information about various neighborhoods.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She may want to check out sunny, low crime, lower cost places in the East Bay near the Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek and Orinda BART stations.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Many factors for her to consider--which are more important: Cost of rent? Length of commute? The day-to-day weather? Perception of safety? Things to do (after dark or on the weekends)? Access to recreation (waterways or parks)? Does she want a slower pace (suburb) or more intense pace (city)? Wild diversity or insulated monoculture? Does she have a specialized hobby or preferred leisure activity? Let us know a few more particulars, and those of us living in the area can offer our insights.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #27

DW and I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years, both in the east bay and in the city. I definitely recommend the city within walking distance (or close) for your daughter. All things factored in, a smaller place walking distance from work, in the middle of all SF has to offer and car free is the way to go; especially a single person her age.

One other option that hasn't been mentioned is Marin (Sausalito area) and ferry to work. Not the speediest but, man what a fantastic commute.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Brother and SIL lived for many yrs in the Mission district w/o a car. Both took public transportation to work: SIL to tallest building right across from Embarcadero and brother to Berkeley. Once they had kid 1, they got a tiny car. I think rent was about $2000 for 1 BR. Once they had kid2 3 y ago, they moved first to a 2 BR, then once kid 1 started school, to Protrero Hill.
Mission has a great vibe, with great food scene (Tartine!).
The ferry building at Embarcadero has a great food mall, like Whole Foods/ Balducci but in an indoor strip mall form, on steroids.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule View Post
Many factors for her to consider--which are more important: Cost of rent? Length of commute? The day-to-day weather? Perception of safety? Things to do (after dark or on the weekends)? Access to recreation (waterways or parks)? Does she want a slower pace (suburb) or more intense pace (city)? Wild diversity or insulated monoculture? Does she have a specialized hobby or preferred leisure activity? Let us know a few more particulars, and those of us living in the area can offer our insights.
Her only hobby/leisure activity is soccer. She always plays in a soccer league. She loves city life but the dog and cat are like her brother and sister and they present a challenge in finding a place in most cities that allows 2 pets. Loves to eat out, visits cafes, walks to shops etc. Flexible with cultural diversity. Access to parks would be great to take the dog on long walks. Thank you for all of your questions. As mentioned, she is hoping to keep the commute to one hour each way, and keeping the rent to under $2800. Within those parameters, she hopes to stay as near to the Financial District as possible while still living in a reasonably safe neighborhood.

Thanks again for your help.

Retire 2013
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We are all set with the information that everyone has so generously provided. This is the BEST Forum ever. I can learn about almost anything from you all!

With Gratitude,

Retire 2013
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't forget to update us on her final decision.

Good luck.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Her only hobby/leisure activity is soccer. She always plays in a soccer league. She loves city life but the dog and cat are like her brother and sister and they present a challenge in finding a place in most cities that allows 2 pets. Loves to eat out, visits cafes, walks to shops etc. Flexible with cultural diversity. Access to parks would be great to take the dog on long walks. Thank you for all of your questions. As mentioned, she is hoping to keep the commute to one hour each way, and keeping the rent to under $2800. Within those parameters, she hopes to stay as near to the Financial District as possible while still living in a reasonably safe neighborhood.

Thanks again for your help.

Retire 2013
Walnut Creek has a walkable downtown with cafes and shopping, a regional theater and arts complex, soccer leagues, Mt. Diablo State Park plus lots of city and regional parks, miles of hike and bike trails, a BART station (35 minutes to SF), mostly sunny weather, low crime and a dog park.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

All of the suburban communities mentioned are lovely IF she can find transit that works for her.

For a first job I recommend finding a studio (or a larger apartment with room mates) a walkable distance from work. Keep the lease reasonably short with the intention of exploring other options once she gets to know the metro area. The big issue will be finding a place that accommodates her pets.