Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The point is you claim there are all of these violation, yet even with charitable organizations, like the ACLU, there hasn't been many cases brought before the Supreme Court about the "violations".
The number of lawsuits reaching the Supreme Court has no bearing on the constitutionality of a law. There were only a handful of cases that the Supremes considered for "separate but equal" segregation.
__________________

__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,375
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Since you didn't bow, I guess one or all of the above happened to you?
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
-------------Pastor Martin Niemöller
__________________

__________________
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.
astromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Not a defense, but a point of observation. Had 9/11 NOT HAPPENED, would we even be talking about this? Doubtful..............

The Dems think the right has used the Patriot Act as a sledgehammer to stamp out everyone's freedoms and rights.

The Repubs think it is a tool to use to monitor folks that mean harm to our country.

As it is legislation by Congress, and interpreted different ways by different judges, there are problems.

However, Brewer, you seem pretty bitter for a guy whose party had a resounding victory a few days ago. You are beginning to sound like one of those "whiny Dems" that is never happy no matter what..........I doubt that is true, but it just appears that way on here..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
However, Brewer, you seem pretty bitter for a guy whose party had a resounding victory a few days ago. You are beginning to sound like one of those "whiny Dems" that is never happy no matter what..........I doubt that is true, but it just appears that way on here..........
How nice. Well here is what I really think: I hope they impeach Monkey Boy and subpoena all his knuckle-dragging henchmen. I hope the lot of them end up in "XXXXXXXXX" Federal Penitentiary for the rest of their natural lives for what they have done.

It won't happen, but that's what I would like to see happen. Happy now? Now sit down and STFU. Your party lost. Mine gets to run the show now.




(edited to remove offensive language after complaints)
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,102
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

With one very notable exception, there is little in this world more stimulating than a well-reasoned political discourse.

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
With one very notable exception, there is little in this world more stimulating than a well-reasoned political discourse.
You are correct sir. Do you by any chance know where some might be found?
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Brewer - are you sure Bush is going to be MR. Nice and Cooperative? Yes, Nancy Sure Harry I agree we all agree, lets work together!?

He just renominated John Bolton to the UN....and the dems are saying no way....
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

I just read my morning newspaper. There's a picture of our two California senators -- Feinstein and Boxer -- on the front above the fold. There's news and analysis of Pelosi's role in guiding her party to victory. There's the acknowledgement that we're about to have the first woman speaker of the house in U.S. history. There's news about the victory for women's rights in South Dakota.

I haven't anything to add to the political back-and-forth going on here, but when I look upon Pelosi I see -- ME, and others like me, getting a little bit more of a role in mainstream politics, one step at a time.

(Is that Helen Reddy I hear in the background...?)

I'm happy today.

__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BigMoneyJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,627
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

I think there will be a lot of bipartisan cooperation...that is as long as the second party agrees with the first party, which isn't going to happen. Repubs are saying "yeah, we're going to cooperate, but let's send more troops to Iraq and win this thing!" The Dems are saying "yeah, we'll cooperate, now let's raise the minimum wage and send out some subpoenas!"

Hey, gridlock is better than what we've been having, and I think the Republicans will soon figure out that all those Dem votes didn't mean to support sending more troops to Iraq, so it should be interesting to see what happens next.
__________________
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I just read my morning newspaper. There's a picture of our two California senators -- Feinstein and Boxer -- on the front above the fold. There's news and analysis of Pelosi's role in guiding her party to victory. There's the acknowledgement that we're about to have the first woman speaker of the house in U.S. history. There's news about the victory for women's rights in South Dakota.

I haven't anything to add to the political back-and-forth going on here, but when I look upon Pelosi I see -- ME, and others like me, getting a little bit more of a role in mainstream politics, one step at a time.

(Is that Helen Reddy I hear in the background...?)

I'm happy today.
Hi Caroline, I agree it's great that another barrier has fallen and our country goes another step forward to becoming the image we have of ourselves. But I look at these people as individuals and I don't care for Nancy and Harry and Barbara Boxer, I do like Diane my former mayor...but my likes and dislikes are based on who they are and not what they are....
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
How nice. Well here is what I really think: I hope they impeach Monkey Boy and subpoena all his knuckle-dragging henchmen. I hope the lot of them end up in "XXXXXXXXX" Federal Penitentiary for the rest of their natural lives for what they have done.

It won't happen, but that's what I would like to see happen. Happy now? Now sit down and STFU. Your party lost. Mine gets to run the show now.
(edited to remove offensive language after complaints)
Wow................. :P :P :P :P
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
But I look at these people as individuals and I don't care for Nancy and Harry and Barbara Boxer, I do like Diane my former mayor...but my likes and dislikes are based on who they are and not what they are....
Right you are, Dan Tien! Well said.

I should have said that I like that these women are in power, AND that I like these women. (As proof of my integrity on this one, ask me what I think of Condi -- Bah!!!!)

I got a two-for-one this week! ;-D Life is GOOD!
__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Right you are, Dan Tien! Well said.

I should have said that I like that these women are in power, AND that I like these women. (As proof of my integrity on this one, ask me what I think of Condi -- Bah!!!!)

I got a two-for-one this week! ;-D Life is GOOD!

Don't forget Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota! You're gonna like her too
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 AM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,170
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

quote: all of the above (see above)

I don't know about any of this but I can make a prediction. If those in Congress don't start acting like a legislative body, restore checks and balances and start exercising a degree of civility, every election from here going forward will have a large element of "throw the bums out". We pay them to work for us and not spend taxpayer money to advance their party interest.
__________________
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
How nice. Well here is what I really think: I hope they impeach Monkey Boy and subpoena all his knuckle-dragging henchmen. I hope the lot of them end up in "XXXXXXXXX" Federal Penitentiary for the rest of their natural lives for what they have done.

It won't happen, but that's what I would like to see happen. Happy now? Now sit down and STFU. Your party lost. Mine gets to run the show now.




(edited to remove offensive language after complaints)
wow Brewer. You're a really nasty bitter person it seems. I had kinda picked you for a nicer guy at first. Shows what I know

Somehow it seems everybody else was able to keep this civil. One of my good buddies is also a commie leftist. We can at least get a good laugh over this.

The fact is, the new leadership which you wished for and voted for is here. They don't like people like you. They don't support investors or accumulators of capital. You say you want higher taxes, well sit back and you shall recieve.

As for the idea that somehow this administration invented kidnapping and torture, give me a break. We've been kidnapping people for intel since the 1600's. On top of that, if GWB wants to snatch some jihadist out of his bed and attach car batteries to his nuts for weeks at a time, BLESS HIM! I'd love to buy those guys a beer for doing it.

__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
wow Brewer. You're a really nasty bitter person it seems. I had kinda picked you for a nicer guy at first. Shows what I know

Somehow it seems everybody else was able to keep this civil. One of my good buddies is also a commie leftist. We can at least get a good laugh over this.

The fact is, the new leadership which you wished for and voted for is here. They don't like people like you. They don't support investors or accumulators of capital. You say you want higher taxes, well sit back and you shall recieve.

As for the idea that somehow this administration invented kidnapping and torture, give me a break. We've been kidnapping people for intel since the 1600's. On top of that, if GWB wants to snatch some jihadist out of his bed and attach car batteries to his nuts for weeks at a time, BLESS HIM! I'd love to buy those guys a beer for doing it.

I kind of agree and that brewer post was nasty. Makes some of my rants look pretty benign. Maybe you've noticed I have not had much to say about
the election. Well, it's not for lack of opinion.
I expect the libs/dems to screw everything up and steal us blind, just at a faster pace than the previous administration. They are equally
clueless and dishonest. So, the direction we're headed overall
will not change. Just a little throttle variation. My guess is a lot of you
will hardly notice the difference.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,798
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
The number of lawsuits reaching the Supreme Court has no bearing on the constitutionality of a law. There were only a handful of cases that the Supremes considered for "separate but equal" segregation.
Right and I misspoke. With the hot button issue this is there, should be more lawsuits about peoples rights being violated. Remember the one in Michigan that was overturned (I think) by the appellate court. If there are so many violations why aren't there more cases tearing the law apart, rather than just the one? The fact is there isn't and I do believe the media, because the law is so controversial, would play up any decision about the Patriot Act. The charitable legal organizations were just starting to gain a lot of power in the 50's and 60's and the topics they dealt with people were willing to kill over. I haven't heard of anybody being taken out and summarily shot because they supported/did not support the Patriot Act.

People are asserting rights are being violated, yet there does not appear to be any direct evidence of that happening. Stories are going around that a friend of a cousin, or a friend of a friend, or what if. It has taken on the aire of an urban legend.
__________________
You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

I have been on this board since 6-2002. Several years as a guest, later joined. Enjoy the investing part , hate the political part. It seems like we need to live in two different countries.
__________________
frb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,266
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I kind of agree and that brewer post was nasty. Makes some of my rants look pretty benign. Maybe you've noticed I have not had much to say about
the election. Well, it's not for lack of opinion.
I expect the libs/dems to screw everything up and steal us blind, just at a faster pace than the previous administration. They are equally
clueless and dishonest. So, the direction we're headed overall
will not change. Just a little throttle variation. My guess is a lot of you
will hardly notice the difference.

JG
JG.... from a conservative guy like me... I am HAPPY that the Repubs lost both houses... I saw on TV the other day that there were about 15,770 earmarks this year... for a total of $45 or so billion dollars...

NO, discussion, NO vote, just spend like drunken sailors... and then they say the spending on the war is not spending WHAT??

And they wanted to move everybody to the religious right... not I.. so to me it was from the lib dems of many years past to the religious right rebs that turned me off also...

Why did they go so far off track If they had governed like they had said they would they would still be in power....

From what I have heard (and who knows if this is true).. the dems recruited many 'middle of the road' people to defeat the repubs.... let's hope so... but if they did not, then in two years maybe some new CORRECT repubs will appear, but I have my doubts... they will be the same old same old...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
JG.... from a conservative guy like me... I am HAPPY that the Repubs lost both houses... I saw on TV the other day that there were about 15,770 earmarks this year... for a total of $45 or so billion dollars...

NO, discussion, NO vote, just spend like drunken sailors... and then they say the spending on the war is not spending WHAT??

And they wanted to move everybody to the religious right... not I.. so to me it was from the lib dems of many years past to the religious right rebs that turned me off also...

Why did they go so far off track If they had governed like they had said they would they would still be in power....

From what I have heard (and who knows if this is true).. the dems recruited many 'middle of the road' people to defeat the repubs.... let's hope so... but if they did not, then in two years maybe some new CORRECT repubs will appear, but I have my doubts... they will be the same old same old...
I have a slightly different view in that what I see lacking is
"conservatives". I see damn few in either party. Bush never was
one. I just always preferred him over the other choices.

JG
__________________

__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.