Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Will You Do When Support For Windows XP Ends on April 8th?
I'll take my chances - I'm staying with XP 30 26.55%
Change is good - I'm going with Win 8. I want my desktop to look like a phone 0 0%
Change is required (but I long for the past) - I'm going with Win 8, but going to use Classic Shell to make my desktop look like Win XP or Win 7 3 2.65%
I've already upgraded to Win 7 or 8 55 48.67%
I don't to Windows 14 12.39%
Other 11 9.73%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Microsoft's regular level of support makes it darn hard to tell when they've stopped.
Thanks for the laugh! I needed that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted I'll take my chances - I'm staying with XP but that's only for an old desktop that we have at home. I've been looking for a new desktop with a RAID 1 hard drive setup. I plan to purchase that computer with some version of Windows 7.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Will that affect Windows 3.11?
I still use Windows 95 on an old "laptop"... nostalgia only.
My "nostalgia only" collection includes a Mac SE/30. It still works!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #24

XP was good, but my newest computers I've gotten with Windows 8 (my desktop) or 8.1 (my new notebook). I do run Windows Classic Shell which takes care of the only real issues I had with it.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
We replaced old machines and wound up with Win7 on them.

I have one old XP laptop for running some old engineering software. The machine is getting hoary old. I do like XP though. It doesn't hang up like 7.

I would be happy to get a set of discs for XP so I will be able to run said legacy software in Linux or PCBSD one day.

Of maybe I will forgeddaboutit and hang up the old slide rule.
Get the Pro upgrade to Windows 8 or 8.1 and you can run Hyper v the MS virtual machine Xp in the virtual machine. It is also supposed to work with a linux guest, but ...
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My last work laptop ran XP. Somebody needs to ask if I care whether it has to be upgraded.

The home laptop still runs Vista. Still works fine.

Still have 95 on floppy disks somewhere.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
My last work laptop ran XP. Somebody needs to ask if I care whether it has to be upgraded.

The home laptop still runs Vista. Still works fine.

Still have 95 on floppy disks somewhere.
If you still have windows 3.11 programs there is a program called dosbox that creates a virtual machine running dos. In it you can run WFW 3.11 for example, and apps of that period.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #28

Microsoft actually provides far longer support for old versions than practically anyone else. XP is over twelve years old, while Mac OS's 2007 release, Mac OS X Leopard (10.5), was desupported over a year ago.

And that's not just OSs: Microsoft just recently terminated support for IE6, and will support IE7 for another few years, while Chrome and Firefox and the rest support their current version and perhaps their immediate previous version and that's it.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #29

My XP desktop is over 7 years old, and I'm still torn on whether to go with a Mac or Windows laptop as a replacement, but I don't know whether the cutoff date will be that important to push me to move to make a change.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Windows XP was the last windows based OS I used on my home PCs. Now we are a MAC house so. .....

No worries here!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #31

My ancient xp desktop just crashed. It won't reboot, even in safe mode, nor will it load a disc. Probably a virus. I guess I,could call a tech just so I can retrieve some photos and one spreadsheet. After that, bye bye. It was a good product, but it's time for a new one.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I run WinXP through Parallels 7 on my mac for one reason only…ESPlanner. Had to forego Mavericks as it would cost me $49 to upgrade to Parallels 9 so I would have continued access to ESP.

Sticking with XP. Change is hard and expensive.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Six of our desktops/notebooks already run Win 7. I still have a couple of machines running XP for old work software (both commercial and self-written).

A year ago, I even had to re-install WinNT4.0 on a machine to resurrect an old application program I stopped using 10 years ago to look at some data. The mode compatibility in XP and Win 7 did not work for some reasons. Do I miss updates? If the machine is off-line and cannot get infected by new virus, why do I care? If it works, I prefer it be left alone. MS used to break things with its updates. Don't get me started on this.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #34

I don't see anything wrong with sticking with something that works for you. Just don't get the impression that anyone else should necessary accommodate your thrift. Software is deliberately made to be updated (otherwise it would be circuitry) and we're still in the first century of computer technology, meaning that no one is going to be able to afford to provide substantial software products that will work on all of today's myriad platforms, as well as every previous version of every current and previous platform. My company is very concerned about not alienating customers, but our product's next version will be limited to customers willing to upgrade to IE11 (and there is no IE11 for XP) and the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox and Opera. That already represents enough cost, for each release, such that we don't make profit on maintenance contracts. And every year services you may want to use will revisit their minimum requirements. For example, right now, TD Ameritrade requires IE8 or later if you're going to use IE. That'll change to IE9 over the next year or two, rest assured (and there is no IE9 for XP, either). Kinderhook Bank (for example) already requires IE9 (and therefore excludes folks running XP).
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #35

I keep whatever operating system came with the machine so never "upgrade". Just occasionally upgrade the whole computer system. In the house now:

Windows 98 that hasn't been turned on in years.
Three XP machines, all which get used occasionally for special purposes. One is my wife's photo scanning set-up downstairs. Another is my fax machine and Netflix device for when I use the stationary bike, the third is the boys computer that's getting less & less use.
One Vista laptop that is used daily as a remote terminal and travel.
One Win 7 machine that is the family workhorse.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #36

I have a few install disks of win95 and some win 3.11. Just in case. Some Dos 3.0 copies as well.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I have a few install disks of win95 and some win 3.11. Just in case. Some Dos 3.0 copies as well.
Would those be on 5.25" "floppy" disks?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

April 8th is about a month away, but I'm several steps closer to retiring Win XP.

Got a used desktop with Win 7 for home and been fixing that up (with the settings I want, and hardware upgrades). If all goes well, should be done by the weekend.

For my old, underpowered, laptop I installed Puppy Linux (I'll use the laptop mostly for surfing the web when I travel).
Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #39

Yes, XP was a good and stable OS. It served me well for quite a few years. I upgraded from XP to 8.1 a couple of months ago with not much trouble, and have found it easy to navigate. I understand that 8 was a bit of a head-scratcher so am glad to have missed that.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

One theory is that the bad guys are waiting in the wings for April 9 so they can unleash their software exploits, knowing MS won't fix the security holes.