Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
I have Lubuntu running nicely on an old HP mini 1010NR. It is really zippy and I would happily run it on other laptops I have except for lack of printer support.

Well I'm mostly Mac but I have an HP laptop with 8.1, which just drags on.

If you have a backup of it, can you revert to 8.1 easily?

By 2020 I will probably want/need a new laptop/computer/whatever 'the' device is then and will just get the OS that is available then.

My laptop works now the way I like it with Win7, and I always have bad luck with software in general, so I'm going to say no to that icon, and may even uninstall that patch.

+1 It ain't broke, so I'm not upgrading. I don't have that icon you folks are referring to, and I'm fine with that.

OTOH, if Win 10 fixes Chrome so I don't have to reboot every day or so then I might consider it.

Generally MS will claim newer OSes have better performance than older OSes on the same hardware.

But PC manufacturers are banking on a boost to the upgrade cycle whenever a new Windows comes out.

I'll stick with Win 7 for the desktop and Win 8.1 for the laptop until they won't do something I need the computer to do.

As with others, DW does not adapt well to a new OS. I'm better at it but now I'm less patient with it and just get done with what I want to get done.

I'll stick with Win 7 for the desktop and Win 8.1 for the laptop until they won't do something I need the computer to do.

As with others, DW does not adapt well to a new OS. I'm better at it but now I'm less patient with it and just get done with what I want to get done.

No kidding, as an ex-engineer, the last thing I wanted to do (and still) is to come home and fight with computers....it...should...just...work...:facepalm:

I stupidly clicked without reading thoroughly. It says you can cancel your reservation at any time, but there is no information on how to do that I could find. Anyone figure out how to undo this? I'm fine with Windows 7, although we might update the Windows 8 computer, as it is pretty much unusable.

Seems to me Microsoft was making good progress and continuing to improve their OS through and including the W7 release. (except maybe VISTA) I do run W8 on one machine but I don't care for it. I'll try W10 but have low expectations. I still have XP on one PC and my two main laptop PC's are running W7.

Last edited:
I'll probably give it a shot on one surfing only laptop first, then roll it out to our other win7/8 machines if it proves reliable and stable.

I'd really love to get win 10 on my almost brand new desktop that came with win7. It's a gaming computer lite (lots of ram, decent CPU, powerful GPU) so I'd hate to think it'll be obsolete when win7 support stops in 2020 (or face buying a $100 upgrade at the time).

I'd love to know if folks are able to "upgrade" then not really upgrade but keep the license for later. I read you have 1 year after the upgrade becomes available to decide.

Stick with Win 7, Vista on laptop. Only upgrade when I buy a new computer

I honestly don't understand people complaining that MS is offering to give them free the new OS. If you don't want it, then fine. I personally appreciate that they are making sure you know that you can get this for free.

I have Windows 8.1 and have found it fine, although Windows 7 was fine too. I use Windows 8.1 with a shell program to have the old start menu and I virtually never leave desktop mode.

So, basically for me it pretty much functions like Windows 7 did (in my case, I bought new computers which is why I have Windows 8.1).

However, if I had Windows 7 now I would almost certainly take the free upgrade to 10 if my computer could handle it. Why? Windows 10 appears to fix the issues that did exist with Windows 8.

There is a question whether Classic Shell will work with Win 10.

That's one reason I'm hanging on to Win 7 for the time being.

They're giving free upgrades because the competitive landscape has changed.

Apple has been giving free OS upgrades for awhile.

Meanwhile, MS has struggled in mobile and is seeing PC sales flatten or even decline in recent years, meaning the influence of Windows and potentially Office are vulnerable.

They're giving free upgrades because the competitive landscape has changed.

Apple has been giving free OS upgrades for awhile.

Meanwhile, MS has struggled in mobile and is seeing PC sales flatten or even decline in recent years, meaning the influence of Windows and potentially Office are vulnerable.

There is a good article (sorry, can't find it now) about why MS decided to make the OS a service in the future. Mainly, that the OS isn't where to money is anymore. Instead, people by the products for the devices and connectivity, not because of the software. In other words, trying to follow in Apple's footsteps (I guess some things never change :LOL:).

There is a question whether Classic Shell will work with Win 10.

That's one reason I'm hanging on to Win 7 for the time being.

I don't think it matters if Classic Shell works with Windows 10. That is, I don't think I will need it with Windows 10 due to the changes Windows has made.

Users can kill the task bar icon by selecting "Customize" from the task bar's notification area -- the option is under the small up-arrow at the left of the section -- then choosing "GWX" and setting it to "Hide icon and notifications."
Alternately, users can remove the Get Windows 10 app and its marketing push by uninstalling KB3035583 from the Windows Update pane.

I don't think it matters if Classic Shell works with Windows 10. That is, I don't think I will need it with Windows 10 due to the changes Windows has made.

May very well be. I hope so.

But I'll stay on the fence and let the dust settle a bit. :)

I use Windows 7 and found the icon on my laptop this morning. I put the icon on "Hide icon and notifications" for now. I am TIRED of this constant harassment. My husband cannot adapt well to changes on his computer; he only uses it to read mail (outlook) and surf (IE 10). As they have prepped his computer for the update, the computer performance, especially the browser performance has almost died. He has gotten so frustrated he dreads just checking the mail. I get it working better and, in a few days, it is too slow to enjoy. (I have high speed Comcast.)

I have found myself (for me not my husband) reading up on Ubuntu and checking out the few remaining Macs on the market lately. I remember back in the good ole days before I became a bureaucrat (actually worked for a living) my favorite operating system was the Unix on my Silicon Graphics and my favorite desktop was my Apple with, I think, System 7. But I can't figure out if non Windows operating systems are really more secure or merely less attractive for hackers.

So, I plan to keep my Windows 7 until reports tell me that their performance was better with 10; the new browser is enhanced and not dehanced; the transition is easy for old men who just want to have fun and kill time; old investments in products like Office 2007 and 2010 work without using clouds or virtualization; classic views are available that almost make it seem nothing has changed; etc., etc., etc.

But, I expect with time MS prep actions will make Windows 7 and IE almost unusable so you beg for a solution to your computer's poor intractable performance problems.

If you liked SGI workstations you'll probably be pretty happy with a Mac mini. You'll be pretty familiar with osx's version of Unix

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The best advice I've seen is that if you have Windows 8, then upgrade. "Just do it and stop yer whining."

If you have Windows 7, then you probably decided at some point not to upgrade to Windows 8, and the same rationale for not upgrading to Windows 10 applies.

9 reasons why I’m ready to love Windows 10

Back in February, Business Insider's Steve Kovach declared that after years of being an Apple kind of guy, he was ready to love Microsoft Windows again.
In my own tests with Windows 10, there's a lot to like — I'm still not sure if it'll be enough to get me to switch from my own Mac and go Windows full-time, but there's a lot to like in Windows 10, and the heat is on.

Here are some of the coolest features you should be looking forward to in Windows 10.

I almost got suckered into clicking that. It implied that that was the only way to get Win 10 for free, which is not the case. I'll upgrade when the free offer is about to expire next year.

I understand why Microsoft is being aggressive about this: Windows 8 got a bad rap, and millions of people (like me) stayed away although they would have been happy with it.

When I finally upgraded (from XP), I found that I could avoid the stupid Metro interface entirely, and that there were a bunch of nice new features. With Classic Shell installed, the interface is like XP's, but many things work better.

Interesting post on this topic:

What is c:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe?

G.W.X. (gwx.exe) may be translated as Get Windows X (10) .
GWX.exe can cause the following errors/problems:

• 0x800705aa – ERROR_NO_SYSTEM_RESOURCES
  • 0×80070002 – ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
  • hard drive consumption
  • slow Windows boot
GWX.exe enables additional capabilities for Windows Update .
Better yet, use this Google search for much more.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...l5.0.0.0.5120...........0.H88lyOA-bTY&qscrl=1

Last edited:
There are a lot of generic references to Win8 here. Maybe everyone realizes it, but Win8.1 is markedly better than Win8 IME.

You do NOT have to use the "metro" interface or metro apps, you can use the classic desktop UI (similar to the Win7 UI and earlier OS's) and even set your PC to startup on the desktop UI so you never even have to see the metro/live tile UI. I switch back and forth, metro is good for some things, the old familiar desktop is better for some - toggling back and forth is one click.

I am no PC/Microsoft fanboy by any means, I use my iPad and iPhone for more than my PC these days. While I could see why many people resisted going from Win7 to Win8 (also had a classic desktop, but crippled and harder to access), I don't see the downside of Win8.1 vs Win7. So I went with Win8.1 to be more current and extend support. YMMV

Looking forward to Win10. After their horrible Win8 rollout experience, it would be hard to believe they wouldn't get Win10 right...we'll see. And of course:

• Windows 3.1x (1992) - Good
  • Windows 95 (1995) - Mixed bag, at the beginning it sucked
  • Windows 98 (1998) - Good
  • Windows ME (2000) - Sucked (hard)
  • Windows XP (2001) - Good
  • Windows Vista (2006) - Sucked although not as hard as ME
  • Windows 7 (2009) - Good
  • Windows 8 (2012) - Sucked mostly for being new & different
  • Windows 10 (2015) - :confused:
So, it seems fairly obvious that every other release of Windows has in fact sucked, but why has it sucked?

Last edited:
I'll stick with 8.1x for now.

My laptop is "brain central" for the iGadgets and stuff, the main storage for music, photos, and email, and it's also the brain of my home studio. Upgrading early would mean I'd be waiting for all the peripheral companies to update drivers, which, from XP to Vista, took as long as two years...

I will definitely upgrade as soon as possible. I really dislike Windows 8 and 8.1. If I don't like 10' or if my laptop goes down before the upgrade is available, I will get the retina Macbook Pro.

Back
Top Bottom