Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
I think the "free" thing is also about pulling as many folks out of the unsupported and sunsetted versions as possible. Costs a lot to keep up with all them, especially from a security perspective.

I will try to keep a Vista desktop alive until the OS hits end-of-life which I think is 2017. I'll have moved to an Apple desktop completely by then. For laptop-like things I'm already happy with Chromebooks.

I don't think it matters if Classic Shell works with Windows 10. That is, I don't think I will need it with Windows 10 due to the changes Windows has made.

From what I read, the preview version of Win 10 blocked Classic Shell, but a quick work around was to rename the Classic Shell installer program. From Classic Shell's website, they are working on a version which runs on Win 10. Plus, if one does go to Win 10 and want the look of the old, there are others too beside Classic Shell...maybe not a freebie, but not too much.

Start10, the first Windows 10 Start menu alternative!

I have Lubuntu running nicely on an old HP mini 1010NR. It is really zippy and I would happily run it on other laptops I have except for lack of printer support.

I run Ubuntu and Xubuntu, but I assumed Lubuntu would print using CUPS like the other variants:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Setup

Print Settings Add a new Printers using CUPS.

There was this comment in the video:

Bug 1133794 in Lubuntu 13.04: The workaround/fix is to install "avahi-daemon", reboot, click "Add Printer" and follow the instructions on screen....

-ERD50

My knee jerk reaction is, to run from Win 10 and not touch that with a 10 foot pole. I like my Win 7. But on second thought, by 2020 (not that far away!), when security updates stop for Win 7, the writing is on the wall and MS will kill Win 7 like it did for XP.

This expresses my mixed feelings, too. But I am leaning toward getting the upgrade for the same reason Easysurfer wrote. As other poster(s) mentioned, I would wait toward the end of the free upgrade period so MS can get some bugs out, as I do not desire to be a MS guinea pig. I don't want to be stuck with Win 7 when MS stops supporting it in a few years and have to pay for an upgrade.

I do not like win 8.... so will probably change DW, DS and DD computer....

I have the older one and will keep win 7...

Guess 'latest and greatest' is about as close a description as I can find that fits, although I'll wait a bit, no hurry. Got several PC's on a network, and trying to make them all play nice with each other is generally easier if their OS is similar lineage and vintage. I was using UBUNTU on a standlaone server, but got tired of dealing with the peculiarities of that. Linux's cryptic system commands reminded a lot of MS DOS back the day, and I am really not that much into reliving the past. My favorite OS ever was Windows 2000 Professional. It ran rock solid and never gave me any grief at all, but when the sun set on support it was time to move on.

I understand why Microsoft is being aggressive about this: Windows 8 got a bad rap, and millions of people (like me) stayed away although they would have been happy with it.
It's more than that. Microsoft, despite all the bashing they've endured over the years, has been exceedingly customer-friendly incurring the high cost of maintaining compatibility and suitability of myriad versions and releases. The move to Windows 10 is an acknowledgement by Microsoft that the old way of doing things is over: Google's Android OS has made clear the path forward and Microsoft (and eventually Apple) will have to acknowledge that and adopt that model, or face extinction.

I think it'll come as a big surprise to people that we're only 31 months away from when Microsoft will end mainstream support for Windows 8.1. After that point in time, sticking with Windows 8.1 will be a pretty significant risk for consumers. That rapid product life cycle is the hallmark of Google's product model, and now will become the industry standard.

Last edited:
I think bUU has it right, A business decision, looking down the line three to five years, to avoid the expense of supporting old systems. A new income stream from innovative upgrades, and a big boost for the desktop laptop industry capitalizing on the pent up demand. Microsoft and Windows isn't going away.

Many years in the development should ease the rollout glitches. Lots of big money sitting in the bank, waiting for the company to regain the profit and glory of the halcyon years.

Reminds me of this... "My momma had an ugly kid... she didn't have a stupid kid."

First off, my main computer is a home built from 2011 running the most powerful AMD CPU from that time, a Phenom II X6 1100T BE, and WIN7. One of the uses is video editing which is speeded up by a such powerful multicore CPU. With that said, I have a few comments:

1. While I enjoyed XP for many years, it really shows its age these days. For example, it doesn't do a great job with modern solid state drives without a bit of tinkering. Without the security updates, it's much more risky to use - get rid of it. You can still get OEM copies of WIN7 or just go to WIN 8.1. I have that on a laptop and it's fine once you get it to start up in classic mode.

2. When I think about it, I can't recall the last time I had a blue screen of death. In fact I'm not sure I've ever had one under WIN7 so those snide comments about such may not hold water so much these days. WIN7 is a fine OS but even it is aging and so I'm looking forward to WIN 10 probably six months into the rollout.

3. As for mobile killing desktops, I'm not sure I see that happening any time soon. I'm always going to want a large screen for most of my computer work and play. My desktop has been easy to upgrade with hard drive space and memory and since I'm at a desk in my home with a large monitor already, having a traditional desktop instead of a mobile unit is no real disadvantage in terms of space used. Because I can upgrade easily, my 4 year old PC is still more powerful than the majority of today's computers. You can't say that for a four year old mobile "solution." A mobile "upgrade" pretty much means throwing it away and buying new and that's not cheap.

It's more than that. Microsoft, despite all the bashing they've endured over the years, has been exceedingly customer-friendly incurring the high cost of maintaining compatibility and suitability of myriad versions and releases. The move to Windows 10 is an acknowledgement by Microsoft that the old way of doing things is over: Google's Android OS has made clear the path forward and Microsoft (and eventually Apple) will have to acknowledge that and adopt that model, or face extinction.

I think it'll come as a big surprise to people that we're only 31 months away from when Microsoft will end mainstream support for Windows 8.1. After that point in time, sticking with Windows 8.1 will be a pretty significant risk for consumers. That rapid product life cycle is the hallmark of Google's product model, and now will become the industry standard.

The problem I have with Microsoft is that they are going to a subscription model... that means my mother would have to pay even though she barely uses her computer... I only use it to pay her bills... she mostly plays games... no way a monthly fee is worth it....

Right now she is on XP.... I am looking to get a cheap computer to replace it... have not looked at other operating systems.... maybe that is the way to go....

First off, my main computer is a home built from 2011 running the most powerful AMD CPU from that time, a Phenom II X6 1100T BE, and WIN7. One of the uses is video editing which is speeded up by a such powerful multicore CPU. With that said, I have a few comments:

1. While I enjoyed XP for many years, it really shows its age these days. For example, it doesn't do a great job with modern solid state drives without a bit of tinkering. Without the security updates, it's much more risky to use - get rid of it. You can still get OEM copies of WIN7 or just go to WIN 8.1. I have that on a laptop and it's fine once you get it to start up in classic mode.

2. When I think about it, I can't recall the last time I had a blue screen of death. In fact I'm not sure I've ever had one under WIN7 so those snide comments about such may not hold water so much these days. WIN7 is a fine OS but even it is aging and so I'm looking forward to WIN 10 probably six months into the rollout.

3. As for mobile killing desktops, I'm not sure I see that happening any time soon. I'm always going to want a large screen for most of my computer work and play. My desktop has been easy to upgrade with hard drive space and memory and since I'm at a desk in my home with a large monitor already, having a traditional desktop instead of a mobile unit is no real disadvantage in terms of space used. Because I can upgrade easily, my 4 year old PC is still more powerful than the majority of today's computers. You can't say that for a four year old mobile "solution." A mobile "upgrade" pretty much means throwing it away and buying new and that's not cheap.

Just responding to your #2.... I have had the blue screen a few times.... not as often as before, but still happens...

The other thing that I have had using Win 7 is that it just crashes and restarts on its own... happened twice....

Both of the above could be a hardware problem.... but I do have an HP computer... but you never know what is causing the problem....

I have Win 7 on my laptop. Saw this thread, then yesterday got a popup notice on my laptop offering a reservation for Win 10. I accepted it. They will be downloading 3GB worth gradually, they say.

But before I do the update, I will make a complete backup of the disk image in case something screws up and I want to revert. In the past, I have lost some software and even a laser printer (lack of driver) after doing OS update.

So, I replied "Other" as my Win 10 update is non-committal.

I'm going for it. I've been a windows user/admin for years (although skills are eroding since retirement) and I've seen all the good and all the bad. MS has lost a lot of traction and has taken a well deserved beating with respect to their reputation and latest operating systems. Many of the reviews of earlier attempts have been met with poor reviews that have been born out. But I'm going to roll the dice again due to what I think are more positives, than negatives:

PRO's:
- New management that is lean, pro active and more open to sharing code, services, and features
- Completely new browser that most early reviews like a lot (no more IE)
- Excellent syncronization between devices. OneDrive, Mail, preferences sync very well between Workstations, laptops and the Windows Phone (that has always been true).
- Excellent APP syncroniztion. Outlook to Onenote, Browser to Onenote, Contacts, appointments etc.
- Windows Phone (previously frustrating with no apps and support) is being retooled as well. They are slated to run Android apps. If they pull that off, great!
- Windows Metro apps can (should) now be easily ported from Android apps.
- Apps build for Windows will now, with minor retooling, work with windows phones (programmers love this stuff)
- Bringing back the familiar features from past systesm (Start button and a mix between Desktop and Metro)
- An overall ground swell of positive comments from a variety of Tech sources
- Great touchscreen and Pen. Nice to be able to markup a web page with a pen and send or print it.

Con's:
- Can they pull it off. If not, I really think their reputation will take a hit that will be very hard to recover from
- Office (eventually a forced subscription)
- As of today... apps, apps, apps

3. As for mobile killing desktops, I'm not sure I see that happening any time soon. I'm always going to want a large screen for most of my computer work and play...
It is going to have a lot to do with what you use your computer for. If it is just about web browsing, audio and video entertainment, and personal finance applications, desktops will be wasteful. I can plug my tablet up to a 75 inch big screen. Heck, I can probably 'cast my tablet up onto that 75 inch big screen.

The problem I have with Microsoft is that they are going to a subscription model...
That's precisely the point: That is the business model of the future, even if we don't like it.

that means my mother would have to pay even though she barely uses her computer...
However, she will have the option to pay for the Home subscription instead of the Pro subscription.

I only use it to pay her bills... she mostly plays games... no way a monthly fee is worth it....
People said the same thing about paying for electricity. Eventually, you either find a use for what you're paying for or learn to live without it.

have not looked at other operating systems.... maybe that is the way to go....
Chrome OS is basically free at this point, but it is actually using the subscription model: You get automatic updates whether you like it or not, or you block them at your own risk. And, of course, they're heavily dependent on you having a cloud subscription.

There's always Apple: Overpay overpay overpay, but they'll make you feel like gold while they're fleecing you.

Last edited:
The ultimate OS for user friendliness for users who just play online games. /sarc

;)

It is going to have a lot to do with what you use your computer for. If it is just about web browsing, audio and video entertainment, and personal finance applications, desktops will be wasteful. I can plug my tablet up to a 75 inch big screen. Heck, I can probably 'cast my tablet up onto that 75 inch big screen.

That's precisely the point: That is the business model of the future, even if we don't like it.

However, she will have the option to pay for the Home subscription instead of the Pro subscription.

People said the same thing about paying for electricity. Eventually, you either find a use for what you're paying for or learn to live without it.

Chrome OS is basically free at this point, but it is actually using the subscription model: You get automatic updates whether you like it or not, or you block them at your own risk. And, of course, they're heavily dependent on you having a cloud subscription.

There's always Apple: Overpay overpay overpay, but they'll make you feel like gold while they're fleecing you.

Still.... home subscription will be a cost that is not worth it....

Your electricity comparison is bogus.... the monthly subscription will likely be fixed... no matter how much you use.... with electricity you only pay for what you use.... and guess what.... my mom actually uses electricity every day... she might use the computer twice a month....

I am not concerned with updates... I am concerned with money going out the door....

You can control this situation - now. Pick up a replacement computer that runs Windows 7 or 8 and then just don't update to Windows 10. You lose updates that provide patches to security, but if she is not on the internet visiting different web sites, this should not be an issue.

You aren't obligated to install the newest version. The old OS will continue to run, it will not/cannot be removed from your PC with action on your part. There are plenty of people who are still using old MS operating systems with no problems at all.

-- Rita

@Texas Proud....the best solution is a Chromebook. Nearly impossible to get a virus. Very cheap. Meant for surfing the web, gaming and email. Can not load stuff on it. Updates automatic, free, and behind the scenes. user can't wreck it

Last edited:
Reading posts like these makes me so glad I walked away from the Microsoft world several years ago. I just got tired of the constant updates, security issues, malware and virus issues....

Apple ain't perfect, but it's miles more user friendly than Windows, imho....

I happen to love Windows. I currently have Windows 7 and 8.1 computers. I like Windows 7 better than 8.1 but Windows 10 will be sort of a hybrid of both 7 and 8.1 for desktop and laptop users. You'll get the best of Windows 7 and 8.1 in one operating system. I get tired of people bad mouthing Microsoft all the time...Windows is by far the most used operating systems for desktops and laptops.

I would never buy an Apple computer...way too overpriced imho. And and as far as being more user friendly, I tried working on a friend's Apple computer and I found it very confusing. After working with Windows computers for years and years, Apple just didn't seem very user friendly to me.

The problem I have with Microsoft is that they are going to a subscription model... that means my mother would have to pay even though she barely uses her computer... I only use it to pay her bills... she mostly plays games... no way a monthly fee is worth it....

Windows 10 is not going to be pay subscription service, it's good for the life of the device ( like current versions).

Microsoft: Windows 10 will NOT be sold as a subscription - Microsoft Community

The next generation of Windows: Windows 10

The other thing that I have had using Win 7 is that it just crashes and restarts on its own... happened twice....

To stop the auto restart on BSOD, Press F8 during boot to get to the advanced boot menu. select the option

Disable automatic restart on system failure

This will halt at the BSOD screen so the error can seen.

Back
Top Bottom