Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
Still.... home subscription will be a cost that is not worth it....
For some it will absolutely be better to just live without. We've got so many opportunities these days to connect that spending money for a desktop operating system is no longer a requirement. It'll eventually only be people who actually find value in what it offers that is paying for it.

Your electricity comparison is bogus.... the monthly subscription will likely be fixed... no matter how much you use.... with electricity you only pay for what you use.... and guess what.... my mom actually uses electricity every day... she might use the computer twice a month....
See the post above regarding the fact that Windows 10 won't have a monthly subscription fee.

I am not concerned with updates... I am concerned with money going out the door....
For some people, the updates themselves are more critical, and in the case of Windows 10, they're all that matters, since there is no annual subscription fee for updates - it is just that the updates come automatically.

But no matter. Again, the point is that the industry business model is changing. It's not changing because someone is being opportunistic, but rather because the old model has been shown to be inadequate and this new model has been proven to be successful. As is the case for practically all innovations in business models, themselves, it isn't supposed to be something that consumers benefit from, but rather is something investors are supposed to benefit from.

You can control this situation - now. Pick up a replacement computer that runs Windows 7 or 8 and then just don't update to Windows 10. You lose updates that provide patches to security, but if she is not on the internet visiting different web sites, this should not be an issue.
That's a good point. If you can stick with the software and software versions you already have for everything you want a computer to do for you, and turn off the Internet connection, then remaining on Windows 7 is probably the best solution.

Last edited:
I just did the reservation thing for my laptop. Mainly, because I want to continue to get the most immediate attention to security patches. I have a number of Windows desktop applications I rely upon, so I'm going to continue to ride the train...

However, the laptop is a dual-boot with Ubuntu on the other partition. If in the next few years I start to see things go south (e.g., Win11 goes subscription, they don't fix the app store to be more egalitarian, etc.), I'll start migrating to Linux, app-by-app.

My tablet runs Win8.1, and I'll upgrade it too, and likely stay there unless someone else comes up with a better tablet OS that also switch-hits into a serviceable desktop mode.

I just re-ran the windows 10 compatibility checker and found that the items noted when this tool first became available are no longer an issue. That means MS and HP figured out what needed to be corrected in the printer driver and HD controller.

If you got exceptions when you first ran the tool, you might want to re-run now. If you have the Windows 10 notice in your in tray, open it, click on the menu in the upper left (some call it a hamburger), and run the tool again.

Rita

But what is the compelling reason to upgrade?

I hate software - I always have something go wrong with upgrades or patches.

What does Win10 have or offer that warrants the hassle/effort/risk of upgrading?

I just re-ran the windows 10 compatibility checker and found that the items noted when this tool first became available are no longer an issue. That means MS and HP figured out what needed to be corrected in the printer driver and HD controller.

If you got exceptions when you first ran the tool, you might want to re-run now. If you have the Windows 10 notice in your in tray, open it, click on the menu in the upper left (some call it a hamburger), and run the tool again.

Rita

Thanks, Rita! I ran it again after reading your post, and the original problem for my laptop computer (the video card, IIRC) is no longer an issue either.

Now I need to decide whether to upgrade this laptop, or buy a new one with Windows 10 pre-installed when they come out, instead. But at least I now have that choice. :)

I hate software - I always have something go wrong with upgrades or patches.

What does Win10 have or offer that warrants the hassle/effort/risk of upgrading?

What?, you don't want to talk with your computer?

th

I have two desktops and three laptops. I signed all three up for update, however, I only plan to update one of the laptops. I'll play around with it and decide what to do with the others. Two of the laptops are running Windows 7 and one Windows 8. Both desktops run windows 8. One of the laptops is really a tablet, a Dell Venue 8. However I use it with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I seldom use the touch screen, and do not use the start screen.

I have no problems with any of these computers or their operating systems.

I have installed the preview version on an old dell vostro laptop and some other older desktops with P4s. If you have an old PC, install the preview version, it's eligible for the official upgrade.

Are you saying you can install a free preview version on older computers and then upgrade to the official version for free? I have 2 older computers running XP (one of which has a Vista license). Might be nice to get a free upgrade to something with microsoft support.

Can you check if an upgrade can work without signing up for the upgrade:confused:

I have Win 7, and it looks like I have to reserve first and then figure out if all will work...

Can you check if an upgrade can work without signing up for the upgrade:confused:

I have Win 7, and it looks like I have to reserve first and then figure out if all will work...

I'm pretty sure you can "reserve" a copy then opt out of the actual install later.

Are you saying you can install a free preview version on older computers and then upgrade to the official version for free? I have 2 older computers running XP (one of which has a Vista license). Might be nice to get a free upgrade to something with microsoft support.

Yes, AFAIK Windows 10 Preview testers will get a free upgrade to final RTM version | PCWorld

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/22/why-windows-10-upgrade-is-free-for-all/

*** EDIT ***

MS updated their blog site recently and added additional restrictions for using the windows insider preview version of W10. Still some confusion over what they actually meant

Last edited:
Time will tell but [a] indications are that Windows 10 will be easier to use than Windows 8.x; there is a better than 50/50 chance that eventually software advances will be such that some piece of software will be written that you want to use, which requires Windows 10 to run; [c] by now most folks have stopped receiving security patches to Windows 7, and on January 9, 2018, most folks will stop receiving security patches to Windows 8, so beyond those dates you become progressively more at risk for malicious exploits.

I know I'm living in the past, but I loved XP.
Yesterday I installed LinuxMint 17 XFCE on an older HP notebook. It is fine. One interesting review told me it's like XP. Lot's of people are comfortable with the interface.

I purchased a desktop mid-2014 for business use, and stayed with Win 7. I had used Win 7 for a few years on a laptop, and was comfortable that everything I had in XP would transition. It has worked well. I successfully got rid of the Win 10 nag patch.

My technology strategy is to move over to a Linux variant eventually. The Win 7 systems will be fine for another five years. "Microsoft finally pulls the plug on Windows 7 on January 14, 2020." Oh well, that's a ways off.

I'm especially in no hurry to jump into a megacorp subscription model.

Time will tell but [a] indications are that Windows 10 will be easier to use than Windows 8.x; there is a better than 50/50 chance that eventually software advances will be such that some piece of software will be written that you want to use, which requires Windows 10 to run; [c] by now most folks have stopped receiving security patches to Windows 7, and on January 9, 2018, most folks will stop receiving security patches to Windows 8, so beyond those dates you become progressively more at risk for malicious exploits.

I'm confused then on the Win7 support issue.

Several on-line articles, indicate that Win7 will continue to receive security patches...such as this one:
Windows 7 exits mainstream support: What you need to know | PCWorld

those security updates will be coming for a long time, too: Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020

Yesterday I installed LinuxMint 17 XFCE on an older HP notebook. It is fine. One interesting review told me it's like XP. Lot's of people are comfortable with the interface. ...

I have not looked at the Mint distribution in a while, but I have been running the Linux XFCE version of Ubuntu (Xubuntu 14.04 - Long Term Support version).

I honestly feel that the interface is not only 'comfortable', but far better than either OSX or Windows. When I first tried Linux, I thought I'd be giving up 'comfortable' when it came to user-interface, but I found the opposite to be true. When I get on DW's MacBookPro, I feel like my hands are tied (and I came from Mac, so it isn't just an issue of not being familiar with it).

-ERD50

Yesterday I installed LinuxMint 17 XFCE on an older HP notebook. It is fine. One interesting review told me it's like XP. Lot's of people are comfortable with the interface.

I purchased a desktop mid-2014 for business use, and stayed with Win 7. I had used Win 7 for a few years on a laptop, and was comfortable that everything I had in XP would transition. It has worked well. I successfully got rid of the Win 10 nag patch.

My technology strategy is to move over to a Linux variant eventually. The Win 7 systems will be fine for another five years. "Microsoft finally pulls the plug on Windows 7 on January 14, 2020." Oh well, that's a ways off.

I'm especially in no hurry to jump into a megacorp subscription model.

I just installed Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on an old Pentium D desktop that was running Windows XP just as an experiment to find out if Linux works for me. I am amazed how well this OP works on this old computer - I can run everything just about as fast as I do on my newer laptop with an I3 and Win 7 and it all works just fine. Even connecting to my remote HP printer worked just fine!.

The other thing that amazes me is that I can run several programs simultaneously without stuttering. I'm seriously thinking of getting off the Windows train altogether.

I have to say I'm really surprised Microsoft is allowing Windows 7 owners like myself to upgrade for free. I just reserved my copy and I kept looking for the catch?

I have to say I'm really surprised Microsoft is allowing Windows 7 owners like myself to upgrade for free. I just reserved my copy and I kept looking for the catch?

You have to wait for that....then...it'll be too late.:D

most folks have stopped receiving security patches to Windows 7
I'm confused then on the Win7 support issue. Several on-line articles, indicate that Win7 will continue to receive security patches...
I'm confused about that as well. Most people don't pay for extended support, so what do you really get? Checking... you do get security patches, but not non-security patches. Those are updates that make old operating systems compatible with new extensions and adjuncts, such as updates to address time zone changes, updates to plug memory leaks, updates to address OS freezes when encountering previously unexpected errors, updates for new encryption modes for thumb drives, etc.

Regardless, whether it was last year or four years from now, there is a date after which security patches end.

Last edited:
You should probably upgrade if you plan to stay with Windows since Win7/8/8.1 will eventually become unsupported. And since Windows needs security patches every other day you don't want to be using an unsupported OS that is vulnerable.

I think they will lure people in for a year, then eventually start demanding subscriptions for updates. I don't trust Microsoft one bit.

I think they will lure people in for a year, then eventually start demanding subscriptions for updates. I don't trust Microsoft one bit.
Anything is possible, but I think it is possible that you're mistaken, simply because your lack of trust, well placed, is missing their angle.

Here's one scenario: OS becomes tied to the equipment. It means that you if upgrade to a faster computer, you have to pay for a new OS... no more transferring OS from old computer to new computer. It also means that once a new OS upgrade comes out, they can require you to install it prior to getting any support for anything. This may not seem like much from our perspective sitting here in the consumer market, but for business customers, that's a radical change. By forcing the consumer market to stay up to date with OS upgrades, they are substantially lowering their sustaining engineering costs across the entire marketplace. Finally, eventually, those upgrades won't work on your old computer. They've not only forced you into a box from which your own choices are to live with what you've got, taking your chances, or buy a new computer and new OS to go with it.

Here's another scenario: They haven't ruled out open-sourcing the OS. That drastically redirects their efforts from developing and supporting the product, which as your concern highlights, is a much hard sale, to developing services, recognized in the industry as a far lucrative space going forward.

Back
Top Bottom