Poll DQOTD: How Strong Should Mixed Drinks Be?

What's the best average mixer:rum ratio for a mixed crowd?

• 1:1 (turn yourself into AA now!)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 2:1 (I'll need more rum)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 3:1

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • 4:1

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • 5:1

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 6:1 (lightweight...)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other (for those who can't round or ask what proof rum, etc.)

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've already pretty much decided (for a gathering this weekend), but if you were making orange-pineapple with rum drinks in bulk for a mixed crowd, how strong would you make them? Don't want them to be so weak they don't produce any effect :cool:, but don't want them offensively strong either :eek:.

Last edited:
If you will be following a recipe that normally requires ice, but will be pre-chilling your bulk drinks, make sure you add a bit more water which would normally come from the melting ice.

I answered 1:3 but that's for me personally. I think I might go with the 1:4 for your party planning purposes. Lighter than that and the mix/flavor will be off but much more than that and you might have some light-weights that might not be prepared for the impact. Party on!!:dance:

I answered 1:3 but that's for me personally. I think I might go with the 1:4 for your party planning purposes. Lighter than that and the mix/flavor will be off but much more than that and you might have some light-weights that might not be prepared for the impact. Party on!!:dance:
+1

Unless they're used to liquor, mix weak. You don't want to be responsible for the "show" once the lightweights start hitting the floor... lol

FYI, the approved answer for personal consumption is: "Mix ? We don't need no stinking.. etc.."

If you will be following a recipe that normally requires ice, but will be pre-chilling your bulk drinks, make sure you add a bit more water which would normally come from the melting ice.
Good point and I was planning on about 3:1 knowing the conconction will be poured into plastic cups filled with ice. Dilution will occur for all but the most "anxious."
Just having a little fun here, but I assume you've reversed sides on the ratios as presented. 1 part mixer:3 parts rum might come off as a little strong I'd think, and I don't want to spend that much on rum. It might be a really short party with several drownings...:blush:

Unless they're used to liquor, mix weak. You don't want to be responsible for the "show" once the lightweights start hitting the floor.
Don't worry, most of them are "used to liquor", even expert hobbyists! We'll be at a harbor overnight and no one will be within 30 miles of their car, so "hitting the [-]floor[/-] cabin sole" will be job #1 for some. I never drink that much, so the more 'casualties' the better our odds racing the next day. Come to think of it, maybe I should mix 1:1 and plan to run out of ice early...:D

Last edited:
I voted "other" because I don't think alcohol is healthy for those who have alcoholism or blood sugar problems in their families. So, while I think everyone has the right to drink if they want to drink, still I would never dream of mixing "orange-pineapple with rum drinks in bulk for a mixed crowd". If they want to get drunk or get a buzz on, they can do that without my assistance.

(I take being a wet blanket to an entirely new level, I know.)

I like to taste my liquor. Obviously I know I'm on the road to an early death. Cheers.

What if you were to provide the mixer and let each individual decide their strength?

What if you were to provide the mixer and let each individual decide their strength?
Obviously, but that wasn't the question or my assignment..."if you were making orange-pineapple with rum drinks in bulk for a mixed crowd" :)

Back in the crazy days, we would save up 2 L soda bottles to take to
"no-glass allowed" concerts. We would fill the bottles with a mix as follows:
1/3 vodka (80 proof)
1/3 cranberry juice
1/3 ginger ale
It was pretty potent stuff. :dance:

We would also make up several "virgin" bottles, i.e. no vodka, as a diluter mix or when someone wanted to take a break from the kickapoo joy juice.
The bottles would go in a big cooler full of ice, along with a stack of disposable plastic cups.

I find 1-2 a better ratio but I have a strong resistance to alcohol.

Same here.

However, the question is for a party of guests and knowing that some will be driving home I would mix them 1-4 and also be sure it was clear that it is an alcohol based punch. I would also provide a non-alcohol version.

Same here.

However, the question is for a party of guests and knowing that some will be driving home I would mix them 1-4 and also be sure it was clear that it is an alcohol based punch. I would also provide a non-alcohol version.
No one will be driving home, guaranteed. Maybe I shoulda included that in post #1.
We'll be at a harbor overnight and no one will be within 30 miles of their car, so "hitting the floor cabin sole" will be job #1 for some.

If this is evening only you might consider 1 part liquor to 3 parts mix, then ice. If it is afternoon drinking I wouldn't do more than 1 to 6. Hot Chicago afternoons usually lead to drinking lots of liquids and not much eating 'til later.

+1 on having a non-alcoholic version.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite ! Rum & pineapple will be perfect for my SO but I am a wine only drinker .:)

Thanks for the invite ! Rum & pineapple will be perfect for my SO but I am a wine only drinker .:)
If you're in Chicago this Sat night, let me know and I'll give you directions and pour you one...

I have a really good recipe for mango margaritas. And Fish House punch. Those were the days.... good times.

I don't drink any more--I don't drink any less, either :).

I think the strength depends on the crowd. Lighter if you don't know them or if you know they're not big partiers.

If any of these people go out and have a crash, you are in it deep.

Ha

I voted Other.

Our cocktails are mixed by the glups. 2-3 glups of liquor is usually the correct mixture except for the martini. A dry martini with anything less than a 5:1 gin/vermouth ratio is not invited to the party.

What's a glup you ask? When pouring a healthy portion into the vessel, you can hear the glup, glup can you not? Just count.

If any of these people go out and have a crash, you are in it deep.
We're all arriving by boat and staying the night. From post #7 and #14:
We'll be at a harbor overnight and no one will be within 30 miles of their car.
This was intended as an innocent fun thread...

Last edited:
DQOTD?

Dairy Queen (no alcohol - soft drink style?) Or Total Delrium (lotsa alcohol!)?

So, dumb question of the day, what does DQOTD really stand for? .... oh.

-ERD50

I make trash can rum punch, served in, what else? A new clean trash can. I use the traditional recipe: 1 sour 2 sweet 3 strong 4 weak.
No one drives away from our parties! And we also do this on raft ups and such in the boats where everyone is already anchored.

I'll be right over...I am just sure I can help you get that ratio right. ;) Trial and error! lol

Back
Top Bottom