Poll DQOTD: How Strong Should Mixed Drinks Be?

What's the best average mixer:rum ratio for a mixed crowd?

• 1:1 (turn yourself into AA now!)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 2:1 (I'll need more rum)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 3:1

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • 4:1

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • 5:1

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 6:1 (lightweight...)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other (for those who can't round or ask what proof rum, etc.)

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
I like to taste my liquor. Obviously I know I'm on the road to an early death. Cheers.

Unless they're used to liquor, mix weak. You don't want to be responsible for the "show" once the lightweights start hitting the floor... lol

FYI, the approved answer for personal consumption is: "Mix ? We don't need no stinking.. etc.."

+1

If it is a good liquor I prefer it neat. If it is a lower grade and calls for a mixer, I at least require it to have some taste. However, DW likes her's weak (compared to my taste). I would tend towards weak for a mixed group. Those who "require" more can consume more.

I once made the mistake of putting out a blender, a cooler of ice, and a giant bottle of already mixed margarita mix on a table for a party. As the night wore on, I didn't realize that people had kindly brought me bottles of tequila as party gifts, and put them on the same table. Well, you guessed it, everyone started adding tequila to the pre-mix, not knowing it already had the liquor in it. Double whammy!

I once made the mistake of putting out a blender, a cooler of ice, and a giant bottle of already mixed margarita mix on a table for a party. As the night wore on, I didn't realize that people had kindly brought me bottles of tequila as party gifts, and put them on the same table. Well, you guessed it, everyone started adding tequila to the pre-mix, not knowing it already had the liquor in it. Double whammy!
Chatham Artillery Punch, I'm told a Savannah tradition?!
The Chatham Artillery started out as a standing militia unit—one of the oldest in the nation, formed in 1785.

Now, as with all things Southern, if something is worth doing, it’s worth having a party afterwards to get drunk and talk about it. Or alternatively, having a party beforehand to get drunk and boast about what is to come! The Chatham Artillery apparently took this not so much as truism, as pure Gospel. The story goes that the ladies would make their special tea-fruit punch, and then each of the officers, on his own and unbeknownst to the women, or more importantly, to each other, would take it upon himself to spike the punch with his favorite liquor. And a good time was had by all…. Now punch was made to be spiked, but these folks made it an art form. The Chatham Artillery Punch first became famous outside Georgia, when the New York Herald Tribune published the formerly secret recipe. (Darn New York papers, publishing military secrets even back in the 1930s!) They described the punch thusly:

This is the punch that knocked out Admiral Schley when he visited Savannah in 1899 after the Spanish War. Admiral Cervera’s Spanish shells were harmless to the brave American admiral, but (Chatham) Artillery Punch scored a direct hit which put him out for two days.

I love that story about the Artillery Punch!

In my family we called this recipe Ammunition Punch and served it at my wedding—nearly knocked the young Citadel bagpiper clean off his feet after a few!

2 ½ cups Southern Comfort
¾ cup lemon juice
2 cans lemonade concentrate, frozen
2 liters Sprite or 7Up
Float some maraschino cherries on top if you wish

Back
Top Bottom