• Women…I’ve never been married but may marry someday

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Women…I’ve been married but may marry again someday

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Women…I’m married now, but if I became single I may marry again

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
We do! I agree.

I often refer to Frank as My Dear Friend Frank but that doesn't really get the point across. That's the best I can come up with. Significant Other is indeed a mouthful and makes me want to ask, "Other what? Huh?" :LOL: I could never figure that out. Boyfriend is indeed ridiculous at our ages and doesn't imply much commitment. My Lover is just TMI, IMO, and to me that sounds like he is a gigolo and that is all we do together. :rolleyes: If we lived together, I might call him My Roommate or My Live-In, but we don't. Luckily, for me this problem in nomenclature is pretty much limited to the internet. Here in New Orleans it is not at all uncommon for seniors who are fully committed to one another for decades to choose to live separately, for a variety of reasons. So, most people in real life don't need too much of a clue to understand what's what.

Yup, this is certainly a problem for us older gals. I usually say, "this is my beau" and kinda smile it off. :D

We do! I agree.

I often refer to Frank as My Dear Friend Frank but that doesn't really get the point across. That's the best I can come up with. Significant Other is indeed a mouthful and makes me want to ask, "Other what? Huh?" :LOL: I could never figure that out. Boyfriend is indeed ridiculous at our ages and doesn't imply much commitment. My Lover is just TMI, IMO, and to me that sounds like he is a gigolo and that is all we do together. :rolleyes: If we lived together, I might call him My Roommate or My Live-In, but we don't. Luckily, for me this problem in nomenclature is pretty much limited to the internet. Here in New Orleans it is not at all uncommon for seniors who are fully committed to one another for decades to choose to live separately, for a variety of reasons. So, most people in real life don't need too much of a clue to understand what's what.

Just give a big smile and say, "And this is my Studmuffin, Frank."

Ha

While I love to see older couples still happy and in love, for myself, I can not imagine getting married again. I'm too old and jaded and like my own place, my own stuff and enjoy my solitude too much to have someone sitting in my living room watching my tv, opening up my fridge, using my bathroom etc etc. Only way is if we could keep separate residences and then what would be the point?

I think marriage if important for those raising families but for someone 40+ why?

I'm 52 years old and have never lived by myself.

I suppose I could get used to living alone, but I think it would take a long time. :blink:

I suppose I could get used to living alone, but I think it would take a long time. :blink:

I've lived alone for a long time. It becomes the norm.

I had never lived alone either- sibs in a big family, college roommates, roomies in later schooling and early work, cohabitations, then marriage and children. Then several years ago I was alone for the first time. I didn't much like it, but I am a survivor and I made the best of it and now have come to like living alone, but also living a fairly social life.

To some extent I may see women as too attractive to ignore, but too dangerous to exactly be happy about that fact. That phrase "sleeping with the enemy" gives me cold chills.

Today I saw an article in NYT, about the Gore separation and about the phenomenon of later life divorces in general. As usual, a lot more opinion than knowledge. One thing I did find interesting was in contrast to the dominant opinion here of "never again", it seemed that many of these people were eager to marry again, and that both men and women were doing that in pretty good numbers. It did mention that for the most part men were more eager- perhaps even stronger than eager- to wed again. I felt that there might have been some male bashing going on, so I did what I often do in these cases and quit reading.

Ha

I've identified several outstanding candidates for wife #2, but I haven't yet run the list by wife #1...

I'm not married but I have a long list of very attractive women that I'd love to be not married to. ;)

I had never lived alone either- sibs in a big family, college roommates, roomies in later schooling and early work, cohabitations, then marriage and children. Then several years ago I was alone for the first time. I didn't much like it, but I am a survivor and I made the best of it and now have come to like living alone, but also living a fairly social life.
Well, like Khan said, she has lived alone for a long time and it becomes the norm...and like you, I am a survivor as well. :) There is a difference between being alone and lonely. If I should find myself alone one day, that doesn't necessarily mean that I will be lonely.
To some extent I may see women as too attractive to ignore, but too dangerous to exactly be happy about that fact. That phrase "sleeping with the enemy" gives me cold chills.
This is something I would have never guessed. ;)
Today I saw an article in NYT, about the Gore separation and about the phenomenon of later life divorces in general. As usual, a lot more opinion than knowledge. One thing I did find interesting was in contrast to the dominant opinion here of "never again", it seemed that many of these people were eager to marry again, and that both men and women were doing that in pretty good numbers. It did mention that for the most part men were more eager- perhaps even stronger than eager- to wed again. I felt that there might have been some male bashing going on, so I did what I often do in these cases and quit reading.

Ha
Of the divorced female friends I have, most are still single. However, all of the ex-husbands are remarried. But that's in my own little world. I say if someone gets married again....best wishes and congratulations. :)

Today I saw an article in NYT, about the Gore separation and about the phenomenon of later life divorces in general. As usual, a lot more opinion than knowledge. One thing I did find interesting was in contrast to the dominant opinion here of "never again", it seemed that many of these people were eager to marry again, and that both men and women were doing that in pretty good numbers. It did mention that for the most part men were more eager- perhaps even stronger than eager- to wed again.

I wonder why we think "never again" but the general public does not?

That's the one. How do they get those tubs up there, anyway? And why isn't there just one tub? These are the things that keep me awake nights.
What weirds me out is having the romantic characters address the audience with their medical disclosures & warnings. Kinda kills the buzz...

But I guess it's better than Mike Ditka throwing footballs at tire swings.

While I love to see older couples still happy and in love, for myself, I can not imagine getting married again. I'm too old and jaded and like my own place, my own stuff and enjoy my solitude too much to have someone sitting in my living room watching my tv, opening up my fridge, using my bathroom etc etc. Only way is if we could keep separate residences and then what would be the point?

I think marriage if important for those raising families but for someone 40+ why?

My sentiments exactly...and I never lived alone until I was age 49. It was strange at first but now seven years later I would be knocked off my pins to have to share my space and disrupt my cozy routines.

I divorced when my kid was 2-1/2 y.o. Raised him alone and now he's in his 30's. Ran a business alone. In short, did everything by myself...alone.
When I am free, I want to find someone because I'm tired of being alone. Am I the odd one out on this subject here? I've had enough of "me" to last...well, a lifetime. I'd love to find someone compatible to share the rest of my life with, frankly, now that work and responsibilities aren't my entire focus.

Hmmm, I haven't read throught every single post but you have me wondering why you started this thread BBBBBAM1? Maybe you explained it in thread 1234.

I divorced when my kid was 2-1/2 y.o. Raised him alone and now he's in his 30's. Ran a business alone. In short, did everything by myself...alone.
When I am free, I want to find someone because I'm tired of being alone. Am I the odd one out on this subject here? I've had enough of "me" to last...well, a lifetime. I'd love to find someone compatible to share the rest of my life with, frankly, now that work and responsibilities aren't my entire focus.

No, I don't think you are the odd one out here. I can't imagine living out my life alone. I've been single, marrried, separated, divorced, and remarried, so I know what the different options look like. I'll take happily married any day.
All the best,
WS

This is our 25th year. Wouldn't feel right to marry again if I ever find myself single. Don't think I can start to learn and adjust to bad habits, different tones of snoring, etc etc. Going back to work would seem easier than getting married again.

Married 40 years, we kind of grew up together (60 now). I have no idea of what it would be like to be alone - Sometimes I try to picture it but you don't know what you don't know

Of the divorced female friends I have, most are still single. However, all of the ex-husbands are remarried. But that's in my own little world. I say if someone gets married again....best wishes and congratulations. :)

Just a data point: my EX remarried.

I am your mirror image—I'm 54 and have lived alone since I moved out of my parents' home after college (except a few months I lived with my parents again when I moved from California to Washington).

I don't know if I could ever get used to having another person in the house.

That sounds nice, but personally I can't imagine there exists anyone compatible.

Bachelor til age 33 - then 'palimony' struck til age 66. Now single again although there seems some conspiracies afoot to 'fix me up' because obviously as a mere male I can't be left unattended.

Now a hot 65 year old with a pickup, bib overalls who knows where the best fishing is - hmmm?

heh heh heh - anywise one of the flaws in this poll is that men think they get to vote. IMHO :D :LOL: :whistle:.

I am also in a long time live in situation and am at a loss of what to call him . I usually say Significant other on the Internet and just wing it everywhere else . I could say fiancee as we did get engaged but I backed out . I still have the ring so I guess we are semi - engaged . Most people figure out the story pretty quickly and to get married to put a legal name on it in my mind seemed lame plus it would have affected my pension .

Ditto for me. I am doing better financially being able to file single and some other stuff. I have lived alone many times and for many years. I prefer living with him. For those who live alone: it helps tremendously to own a large house and be able to get away from each other. Sometimes I have trouble finding him :D - we bought an intercom phone...

Back
Top Bottom