Poll: Size of your ER household for finances

How many adults in your ER household?

• One

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • Two

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • More than 2 (incl. adult children, parents)

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Midpack's other thread about averages for this forum http://www.early-retirement.org/for...4k-yr-spending-3-4-withdrawal-rate-88509.html may be a bit skewed to favor couples, especially if both of them were income-producers.

To try digging a bit beneath the surface, how many people are in your ER household? I've created a category for more than 2, as there may be folks with adult children who they expect to provide care for forever, or parents, etc. But, for the most part, I expect the answers to be 1 or 2.

If you are a twosome, but each keep your finances totally separate, you'd most likely answer 1.

Feel free to post clarifying info.

omni

To try digging a bit beneath the surface, how many people are in your ER household? I've created a category for more than 2, as there may be folks with adult children who they expect to provide care for forever, or parents, etc. But, for the most part, I expect the answers to be 1 or 2.

omni
I voted more than two as I have two boys still in school. Or should I have voted other as i don't expect them to be providing care forever.

I voted more than two as I have two boys still in school. Or should I have voted other as i don't expect them to be providing care forever.

They might respond as more than 2 also, they might think they will get stuck taking care of you someday.:LOL:

Just myself and my DGF. Our finances are separate. She is the low-income person, I am not.

That number has varied over time. When I retired, we were five. It even increased for a short period. Thankfully, right now we are two, although at times it seems like only one behaves like an adult.

We are 2 but we keep some finances separate and some mixed, but we talk and act like they are totally mixed.
For example, no way would I buy a car or book a vacation without a bunch of talking it over.
So I answer 2.

Typical 2, all $ is joint except for IRA's.

By your rules, I answered 2. But I have 2 kids under roof who aren't adults... and have their pricey college years ahead of them.

In the past we've had the in-laws living with us (so we were 6 then with 4 adults) and a grown nephew (so we were 5 then with 3 adults.)

I have no idea when the kids will be off the payroll... I plan to follow the same plan my parents did - make living at home not the most comfortable for the kids once they have completed college... chores, rent, etc. (FWIW - that's what we did to get nephew to take the step out on his own... he was mad at the time, but has since thanked us for giving him the push he needed.)

Just me and Lucy the dog.

More than 2 at the moment, but youngest child is desperately trying to be completely out of the house and on his own. Hopefully before six months it will be down to the two of us.

Well voted 2. I do have adult children still living home, but I am certainly not counting their net worth or income as part of our finances.

I'm a threesome (why does that sound naughty. lol)

like Marie I have young adult children at home. I hope to God I'm not caring for them for the rest of their lives.:eek::hide:

I'm pushing one baby bird out the nest next summer and my youngest actually graduates this winter from Temple.

Then I'm hoping to find a Portuguese pool boytoy. ;)

Midpack's other thread about averages for this forum http://www.early-retirement.org/for...4k-yr-spending-3-4-withdrawal-rate-88509.html may be a bit skewed to favor couples, especially if both of them were income-producers.

If you are a twosome, but each keep your finances totally separate, you'd most likely answer 1.

omni

Could you add 1 1/2 to the poll ? Wife and I keep our monies separate but we do give an equal portion to a joint account each month. We also jointly own our paid off home.

Michael

Just two adults, dog is sill a puppy.

I opted for two....but DW is 15.28% shorter than me, so does that make it less than two?

OTOH, I'm 18% taller than she is, so should it be greater than two?

It's all so confusing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom